2001 WRX overheating

This is a discussion on 2001 WRX overheating within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys ive recently changed the radiator in my 01 WRX, it seems to be running very hot, gets to ...

2001 WRX overheating

hey guys ive recently changed the radiator in my 01 WRX, it seems to be running very hot, gets to halfway within 3mins from startup and reaches 3/4 temp after 6mins and stays there.. there is steam that starts to come from the small overflow hose that connects to the top of the radiator on drivers side and seems to also be spitting coolant, everything is just boiling hot after 10mins, if someone could help me out with trouble shooting this issue that would be great thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you properly burp the system(Fill from the top reservoir)?
    Stop driving the car until you get this fix, you don't want a radiator fix to turn into a blown head gasket.

Without sounding like a complete dumbass.. How do I correctly Burp the system? filled from top reservoir yes, maybe it still has air pockets? I appreciate the reply mate cheers

take rad cap off when its COLD and open cap to filler neck. let it run till you dont see any bubbles in neither tank nor coolant inside rad cap hole or until its warm. repeat until all bubbles are gone. i also hope you filled the coolant through the rad cap till it over flowed then filled the neck..

Hey, better to ask for help than do something wrong and break stuff.

Basically what Blobeye05 said. Fill the radiator. Cap off. Fill top reservoir then start the engine. Turn your heater on full blast and max heat to open the heater core. Fill top reservoir as until engine fully warmed. Massage the top radiator hose to help get some trapped air out.
    Then watch it for the next few days.

Good luck man!

I Support ClubWRX
    Note the original radiator on a 2001 WRX will not have a cap. Ignore that part if you don't have a rad cap and fill from the turbo reservoir. If that is also original it will be black.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.