Struggling to have fun in my STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Struggling to have fun in my STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm not whining and some will think this is stupid but I'm struggling. I knew all these things and how ...

Struggling to have fun in my STi

I'm not whining and some will think this is stupid but I'm struggling.

I knew all these things and how I'd be but I said WTF and bought one anyway even though I had help off for almost a year.

1. Got mega bumper to bumper warranty for my certified STi.
    2. I've barely driven my car as I wanted to get mudflaps on to help prevent damage from road debris
    3. I wanted to get good floor mats as to not track water on the carpet.
    4. Wanted to get clear bra and paint protection and set up day to do this. This is mega money.

Did all first three. Anyways what is freakin frustrating is the work I've had to do to get a front license plate on and set to my satisfaction. Also barely drove car (30 miles since buying) and gave a nail in right rear. It was flat against the tire barely in there so I drove it home (2 miles) from work after I put on my mudflaps, and now I look and most of the nail is now in there. So not gotta remove the wheel and not risk the drive to the dealer to have em remove it.

It's just frustrating as I'm like "man I can't even enjoy the car". It's like gotta worry about protecting it and watching out for the police. And worrying about jerks and all. Haven't even gotten to the point of knowing the proper products and all to keep it clean.

How the heck do you guys enjoy an STi and caring for it and all with all the other things in life?
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I treat it like a car. I know that this is not something I am going to take to the grave with me and there are more important things to worry about.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I treat it like a car. I know that this is not something I am going to take to the grave with me and there are more important things to worry about.
    I agree. I have had many cars, I've been hit by other drivers, scratched my front wheel.
    My point is this, it's a car your going to get scratched and dented along the way. On the plus side fixing scratches and dents is no way near as complicated as it was years ago. I had my scratched rim fixed $100. I had a small dent in top of fender well from careless co worker whacking it with her door. Even that I was quoted fifty to fix dent, the guy couldn't get it out to his satisfaction(barely noticeable up close) so dent repair was free. As far as rocks and flying highway debris, get a plastic deflector for front side moldings for doors, and wax the hell out of it. Keeping your care in excellent condition is not that hard or expensive, just drive carefully and get all maintenance done.
    Stop worrying about car and drive it. Trust me!
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I understand where you're coming from man.

I try to baby the car, but at the same time I just found a very noticeable scratch on the left rear bumper and a chip in the left tail light!!

Lately because the temps have been so high I haven't been driving the STI because I sweat in the seat and don't wanna mess it up.

I've been driving my pick up pretty much daily, and only using the car for short trips into town.

Sorry about your frustrations man.

What these guys said!

I gotta say, yes the paint on these cars is thin, like really thin. If you insist on getting a clear bra, then great, but don't wait and don't let it keep you from enjoying the car, because after all, it is just a car.

You can greatly reduce damage from road debris by keeping your distance from others, especially trucks.

I was going to get the clear bra but five months in and its too late, driving on Long Island the front of my car looks pretty sandblasted already, and keeping your distance is all but impossible in the NYC metro area. I'm not gonna sweat it, and worst case scenario I'll just have the front bumper and hood re-sprayed... or maybe I'll even have the entire car painted way down the line.

Anyway, don't treat it like a glass slipper, the car is meant to be enjoyed... so enjoy it!

I think I have to go to autocrossing and local meetups with other Subaru and other hot car owners to have fun.

My commute is 2 miles. Not really much fun to drive the STi. Also it's in industrial park and therefore most likely where I got nail. Xterra has dodged them for 4 years somehow. So I have to find reasons and places to drive car to enjoy it.

Step 1 - take a Xanax. Step 2.... go drive your car. Hard.

You cannot keep your car immaculate and enjoy it fully. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you can enjoy it. It's a car. It will get stone chips, it will get door dings. Then, at some point, you'll get another car and you certainly won't remember the damage it received. You'll remember how much fun you had driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Step 1 - take a Xanax. Step 2.... go drive your car. Hard.

You cannot keep your car immaculate and enjoy it fully. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you can enjoy it. It's a car. It will get stone chips, it will get door dings. Then, at some point, you'll get another car and you certainly won't remember the damage it received. You'll remember how much fun you had driving it.
    That's a great point man! I need to start looking at it that way too!

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I also got the venture shield (Clear bra) applied when I bought the car, it went from factory hood plastic cover to venture shield. It's a great option, for those who are thinking about it do it. It's worth it.
    The only downside is that it can be a pain when you claybar your car or waxing, just pay attention and you will be fine. I have no scratches or dents where it's covered. Also get a front deflector if you do a lot of highway driving. I'm sure everyone here will agree enjoy your car and don't sweat the little thing, they would be the same with any car. If you have taken good care of previous vehicles, you will want to take good care of your WRX.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Man, i bought my sti new. i treated it like it was a soft shell chicken egg. but, it wasnt me who ran into it with a lawn mower and put 4 huge gashes in the back bumper. it wasnt me who pulled up too close to the other car and scratched the front bumper. it wasnt me who dropped a wicker basket on the fender and but some hard to get out scuffs. thing is. its everyone else around u who dont really pay attention or just accidents happen. and money repairs things. but, not saying go out and rock climb in it. but surely u can enjoy your car. its gunna get dings no matter how careful you are.

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I think I have to go to autocrossing and local meetups with other Subaru and other hot car owners to have fun.

My commute is 2 miles. Not really much fun to drive the STi. Also it's in industrial park and therefore most likely where I got nail. Xterra has dodged them for 4 years somehow. So I have to find reasons and places to drive car to enjoy it.

Dude, simple solution... go for a drive! There is no reason to think that your commute is the only time you can drive your car. If you want to have some fun with it, look at a map, find a few fun routes and go for a ride!

I don't have much fun on my commute and its near 30 miles... in the morning I'm too groggy, and in the afternoon its jammed with traffic. I fully enjoy my car on weekends, or after 7 on weekdays (Long Islanders will understand).

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    go drive your car. Hard.
    I agree with this 100%. My last car I washed it every two days and would get mad if someone put their hand grease on the paint.
    Point is, the sooner you realize it’s just a car and its meant to be driven, the sooner you can enjoy the car.
    The first day after I passed the break in miles with my STi, I put my car in sport sharp and mobbed the empty freeway, then found a nice flat dirt area and had some fun.
    That’s what makes me enjoy my Subaru
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    My WRX is the first new car I ever owned. Before that every car I bought already came with scratches, dents, and "personality" - so I'm used to it.

The ultimate truth is I didn't buy the car so that other drivers would be impressed by its appearance, and I learned long ago that when I'm behind the wheel the outside appearance of the car is meaningless - I bought the car to drive it and enjoy it for what it was meant to do.

If you want a show car - then go ahead and baby it as much as you want. Hell - cover it in Nerf! I'm cool with that. But if you bought your STI because you wanted to DRIVE it - then go have some fun and live with the imperfections. Take the longer way home (I do that all the time) and find some good driving roads and enjoy. Consider those first bits of damage as freedom - she ain't perfect anymore, so no need to worry about it anymore. Go have some fun.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    My WRX is the first new car I ever owned. Before that every car I bought already came with scratches, dents, and "personality" - so I'm used to it.

The ultimate truth is I didn't buy the car so that other drivers would be impressed by its appearance, and I learned long ago that when I'm behind the wheel the outside appearance of the car is meaningless - I bought the car to drive it and enjoy it for what it was meant to do.

If you want a show car - then go ahead and baby it as much as you want. Hell - cover it in Nerf! I'm cool with that. But if you bought your STI because you wanted to DRIVE it - then go have some fun and live with the imperfections. Take the longer way home (I do that all the time) and find some good driving roads and enjoy. Consider those first bits of damage as freedom - she ain't perfect anymore, so no need to worry about it anymore. Go have some fun.
    Yeah I realize it's gonna get messed up. But it's freakin a nice looking car for some idiot kid to bang their door into it and me not be allowed legally to hit them.

How can you not have fun in these cars? i do every day whether its driving 5 minutes or 5 hours. If you don't push your car you might as well have bought a prius. Everyday i hop in my car it puts a smile on my face and everyone loves the car. My buddy still screams everytime he gets in the car "Put it in #S MODE". Your car will get dings and scratchs thats a fact of life like others said unless its a show car. I drive my car hard at least 3 times a week and it keeps me happy. Gotta enjoy the little things in life while you have them and are young.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.