Struggling to have fun in my STi - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Struggling to have fun in my STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2 weeks after I bought mine new, someone scratched the bumper, then I scuffed up the wheels parallel parking, then ...

2 weeks after I bought mine new, someone scratched the bumper, then I scuffed up the wheels parallel parking, then someone dinged my door, then I pulled too far ahead in a parking spot and scratched up the bottom of the bumper, then someone took a crowbar to the passenger side window and dented the crap out of the door, I've got paint chips all over my hood and a small chip in the windshield from driving through construction sites and milling/paving areas, and my bumper will never go on right again after a steep drive way exit...

I was pissed after every single one of these incidents, but **** happens and you either get it fixed or forget about it.
    Not so much anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's a car. It's replaceable. Get out and drive it.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Like others have said, I think you should just go out and drive it. You paid lots of money for a brand new car and well you don't want it to get wrecked. You should still enjoy the car. I've only ever had one brand new car and when I sold it. There was little scratches and dings all over it. But I had fun with the car. I've had friends buy brand new cars, spend tons on mods then drive it once a week maybe, park it for winter, drive some beater around the rest of the time so they dont wreck the new car. I don't see the point.

Like others have said, I think you should just go out and drive it. You paid lots of money for a brand new car and well you don't want it to get wrecked. You should still enjoy the car. I've only ever had one brand new car and when I sold it. There was little scratches and dings all over it. But I had fun with the car. I've had friends buy brand new cars, spend tons on mods then drive it once a week maybe, park it for winter, I don't see the point.

I was the same way after picking my car up. Fortunately I had the dealer put a clear bra on before I bought it, so that helped my peace of mind. But I constantly felt like everyone was trying to attack me on the road and mess up my new car. Over 2000 miles later and now I own the road rather than play the defensive driver role.
    I know that sounds more dangerous, but I've found its safer to get away, go around, be where you want on the road rather than try and avoid the other drivers. Just point the car where you want to go and it will take you there and be a lot of fun in the process.

Really I know crap is gonna happen. I mean I bought the car not perfect and was actually ok. However now that I got it I'm like I want this and that done before I risk crap going wrong. Just pissed at myself when I can't add this or that or whatever without screwing it up myself or whatever. Like dropping that mouse last night I was gonna explode. Actually I did. Looking all over to see if this nick or that nick or that imperfection was caused by the mouse drop. I have no idea. And it bugs the hell outa me.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is nothing a computer mouse could do that scratch x won't fix without causing any additional concerns.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    There is nothing a computer mouse could do that scratch x won't fix without causing any additional concerns.
    This was a Logitech mouse so they are good quality. Also it's Subaru paint! Seriously like from a foot maybe I dropped it and I watch it slide to my garage floor. Actually my first thought was the mouse strangely. Not till later did I go "wait it landed on the car". So that's all it took for me to start inspecting my hood with a fine tooth comb. And all it took for me to go "this car was scheduled to be in the shop for hood film if not for the damn nail in my rear tire I gotta pull out before I drive it a long distance"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    This was a Logitech mouse so they are good quality. Also it's Subaru paint! Seriously like from a foot maybe I dropped it and I watch it slide to my garage floor. Actually my first thought was the mouse strangely. Not till later did I go "wait it landed on the car". So that's all it took for me to start inspecting my hood with a fine tooth comb. And all it took for me to go "this car was scheduled to be in the shop for hood film if not for the damn nail in my rear tire I gotta pull out before I drive it a long distance"
    There are all kinds of different philosophies and what not about learning from your mistakes and not being in denial and all that... but a solid approach to life IMO boils down to a very simple list.

1) Don't do stupid ****.

It really covers everything, from dropping a mouse on a brand new car, to dwelling on it much too much. There are lots of things in life that are best just switched off in your mind. Don't let yourself go there. Force yourself to think about something else. Fix the part you can fix and then forget about it. God forbid a girl ever dumps you and you really have something you need to forget about.

Sorry if that sounds harsh - it has actually helped me quite a bit.

Incidentally, being in your car is a great way to forget about the outside of your car.

Take as much care of it as you can, but still enjoy it. If all you care about is keeping it mint you'll never actually enjoy it. You need to find the balance that works for you.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have a friend that puts a small scratch in his car on day one (on purpose) to break the mental fixation on perfection. Makes sense, but I certainly wouldn't do it...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I have a friend that puts a small scratch in his car on day one (on purpose) to break the mental fixation on perfection. Makes sense, but I certainly wouldn't do it...
    Yeah, it was something I have heard of but not done. I would if I needed to though.

Another guy was explaining he he relaxed after his first ding and was "glad it happened". Chilling with no dings is just fine with me though.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    There are all kinds of different philosophies and what not about learning from your mistakes and not being in denial and all that... but a solid approach to life IMO boils down to a very simple list.

1) Don't do stupid ****.

It really covers everything, from dropping a mouse on a brand new car, to dwelling on it much too much. There are lots of things in life that are best just switched off in your mind. Don't let yourself go there. Force yourself to think about something else. Fix the part you can fix and then forget about it. God forbid a girl ever dumps you and you really have something you need to forget about.

Sorry if that sounds harsh - it has actually helped me quite a bit.

Incidentally, being in your car is a great way to forget about the outside of your car.

O I know it's true about the last sentence. BTW my car is a certified 2013 STi. Got it with less than 7k miles. So it had a handful of noticeable scratches that were touched up. But when I bought it I knew that and was ok with it. I had already taken a test drive and fell in love with the exhaust (SPT) and being in a manual tranny for the first time in awhile. That, the looks, and having pondering a WRX for probably a year finally made me go for it. A few things in life I think happened recently that just made me think "I'll regret it if I don't buy it". I liked it being certified, low mileage, previous owner took care of it (actually got in contact with them so it wasn't a young idiot who owned it). Basically I felt pretty darn happy.

Anyways I'm one who has a tough time making decisions. So little things that happen make me regret a decision I made. So you can see things like that can make me regret a significant purchase.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    O I know it's true about the last sentence. BTW my car is a certified 2013 STi. Got it with less than 7k miles. So it had a handful of noticeable scratches that were touched up. But when I bought it I knew that and was ok with it. I had already taken a test drive and fell in love with the exhaust (SPT) and being in a manual tranny for the first time in awhile. That, the looks, and having pondering a WRX for probably a year finally made me go for it. A few things in life I think happened recently that just made me think "I'll regret it if I don't buy it". I liked it being certified, low mileage, previous owner took care of it (actually got in contact with them so it wasn't a young idiot who owned it). Basically I felt pretty darn happy.

Anyways I'm one who has a tough time making decisions. So little things that happen make me regret a decision I made. So you can see things like that can make me regret a significant purchase.
    I can see that you do, but I don't see why you should. You scratched a car that wasn't actually new that you bought with scratches on it. Time to let it go.

No material thing is more important than just living to enjoy anyway
    Stinkeye member 520

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast