Struggling to have fun in my STi - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Struggling to have fun in my STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by grendels_wrx Yeah I realize it's gonna get messed up. But it's freakin a nice looking car for ...

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    Yeah I realize it's gonna get messed up. But it's freakin a nice looking car for some idiot kid to bang their door into it and me not be allowed legally to hit them.
    Would hitting him get the ding out of your door?

There are two things that you can do.

1- If you have proof he did it, have him pay for it. This should be relatively easy to prove, especially if you have designated spots.

2- Park away from people and walk the extra distance, I do this all the time... and I enjoy the crap out of my car.

3- (bonus) do nothing and take steps (like #2) to minimize your chances of careless people damaging your car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Go out and find an inconspicuous spot, like bottom of the front bumper, and scratch the paint. Now take a mallet and hit the underbody once or twice. Just some little dents. Now that you've gotten that out of the way, for any future blemishes do your best to remove them, then move on. If you do not look at it, or look for it, it is exactly like if it isn't there.

I kept excellent care of my car, inside and out, until well after the 6 year payoff. Now it has 100K miles and looks great except the two spots that have rusted through right above the rear bumper sides rear of the rear wheel well. That, is where all cars, end up - in rust. You've got 10 years to use up its best years (appearance wise). Put the miles on it that it deserves.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

^I take it you're rather fond of Mushrooms.

I get more pissed when I muck stuff up. I am really trying to spend $$ on the car as the car alone cost a good deal. I ain't poor or anything but this ain't no $20k car. But adding warranty an once I get clearbra/paint protection you're talking serious change.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Warranty is a rip off, get your money back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
    ^I take it you're rather fond of Mushrooms.
    Yeah, but I am more fond of my PhD.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I get more pissed when I muck stuff up. I am really trying to spend $$ on the car as the car alone cost a good deal. I ain't poor or anything but this ain't no $20k car. But adding warranty an once I get clearbra/paint protection you're talking serious change.
    i paid 41k for the car got extended warranty and went stage 2 cobb the night i showed up at the house. then let someone drive me home when i was drinking, and they curbed a wheel then pointed it out to me saying, "hey man, u need to get that fixed" i was like, wtf, that wasnt there earlier. u messed my wheel up, they just laughed and told me i was drunk.

someone went cut my grass for me when i was away and hit my car with my lawnmower deck. scraped the back bumper. shoulda just tore it off. its so ugly

I certainly appreciate the sentiment of wanting to keep something you value in a pristine state. I love my car, and even after crashing into a ditch I still try to keep it clean, polished and as dent-free as possible. After the accident repair, I told myself: "this is the best it is ever going to look from here on out". This statement is equally as true at the beginning of every day.

The best way to keep a car looking good is to not drive it, as you know according to the title of this thread. I've a desire to modify my car to be made of composites which cannot corrode. I want to learn everything about the maintenance and the mechanical and electrical functions of the car, so that when components age I can fix them and keep the car running as good as new. This is just a pipe dream. The car will eventually die.

For now, I just enjoy driving and accept that use gives degradation. The wear is evidence of experience, character imbued through travel and adversity of the road. The feeling of the drive, and the knowledge that the car, much like myself, is ephemeral makes experiencing it all the more worthwhile, even if car ownership is a sisyphean endeavor.

All that I can do is slow the progress of wear; maintenance and cleaning by my own hands are big part of involving myself with the car. I value it, I try to take care of it, and I enjoy its use. There will always be things out of my control, though: my car got hit by a golf ball- there's nothing I could have done to prevent this (apart from actively looking for paths which don't come near golf courses) - Any golfers in ClubWRX?
    David - '05 WRX

Don't be a vag and just drive it. It's just a car. It's not a museum piece. It's going to get dirty. It's going to get scratches. Your floormats are going to get effed up. So just drive. Do what the car is meant to do. Give it some throttle from a stop. Enjoy an on ramp or off ramp or two. Row through the gears...just stay within the limits of the law (ok, a little speeding is something everyone does).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Just get out there and ENJOY the beast of a car you have. It will get dirty. It will have dings, dents, scratches etc. Really who cares? Just wash and wax it and keep it clean and who cares about the flaws....they are YOUR flaws.

Dont let the flaws in life prevent you from having a blast.....enjoy!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon4390 View Post
    i paid 41k for the car got extended warranty and went stage 2 cobb the night i showed up at the house. then let someone drive me home when i was drinking, and they curbed a wheel then pointed it out to me saying, "hey man, u need to get that fixed" i was like, wtf, that wasnt there earlier. u messed my wheel up, they just laughed and told me i was drunk.

someone went cut my grass for me when i was away and hit my car with my lawnmower deck. scraped the back bumper. shoulda just tore it off. its so ugly
    I'm really a prick about letting anyone drive my car. I got tapped pretty much out of the gate (2003) by some kid in the rear and it needed more than a buff and a little straightening. His dad called me bitching about the price and tried to plead his kid off. Typical. I told him it would help teach him not to hit other people's brand new cars they pay $450 a month for. Took the money, straightened it myself, and never got it fixed - just never looked for it again like I explained above.

This was the best though, and my only at fault (2010 post, you can click the arrow to see the original thread).

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, it will be fine. True story here - When the car was one or two years old I was visiting the botanical gardens at KSU with my wife and the dance or cheerleader class or whatever all these young cute scanty dressed girls showed up for a photoshoot. So keeping my head properly averted to them I escaped back to the car only to notice from at least 100 yards out (some considerable distance after wife did) that one of them was changing into their outfit in the SUV right next to the car. So, keeping my eyes properly averted upon verbal warning of certain death, and not doing my normal surveillance upon approach, I backed into a stupid pole that was out of view of all mirrors (i.e. <3' tall and about 10 or 15 feet straight in back of me).

It'll buff out.
    That is considering it wasn't my fault when the garage door spring broke and it fell on my hood. That took the PDR guy. They are amazing if they know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    Just get out there and ENJOY the beast of a car you have. It will get dirty. It will have dings, dents, scratches etc. Really who cares? Just wash and wax it and keep it clean and who cares about the flaws....they are YOUR flaws.

Dont let the flaws in life prevent you from having a blast.....enjoy!!!
    Thanks for the advice. I hear ya. I'm just trying to do the accessories and protection stuff before I go out having a blast. In my Xterra I sometimes tailgate slooooww drivers. So I realize can't do that with my STi and is one reason I want the film. Just saying that and paint protection ain't cheap and it was getting me a bit discouraging that before I can even get it there to have that stuff done "little things" have happened. You guys will laugh and think it's stupid especially compared to backing the car into a pole while watching some cheerleader or a garage door falling on it.

1. Putting on mudflaps and notice nail in rear tire. Have only driven car 30 miles since purchase. Should have taken it out at work but said I'll get it home. Nail is now in further though at least it's not a straight down into tire, it's sideways, so maybe no leak.

2. Front license plate just a pain in my butt

3. Last night I drop a computer mouse on the hood as I was holding my laptop and all near the car. My dumb self knew to pull the car out instead of trying to pull the data off my motorcycle's datalogger in a tight cramped area. So my OCD self is like "did I do that nick or was that there". I mean I see this mark that's not a nick but is like a defect in the paint/clearcoat. It's like "did I do that" being a dumbass.

This crap makes me like, this car is gonna make me a nervous wreck. This was sorta why I was wanting a relatively so so looking older Miata before the STi.

The anxiety is strong in this one. I'd like to reiterate my original comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Step 1 - take a Xanax.

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

yeah I hear ya but not a fan of the offcenter thing. And then you have to get a plate to cover up the center license plate thing. I ended up with the Totsubo one. Which is ok. But not like ok bolt all done. And me being OCD I think I messed up something. And the whole time I'm spending hours on this task that is easy I think "wtf why didn't Subaru just put some plastic inserts into this like they did on the back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.