Thinking of buying a WRX - couple questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying a WRX - couple questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, So I used to drive a 2012 Genesis Coupe up until this week when it was flooded and ...

Thinking of buying a WRX - couple questions

Hey guys,

So I used to drive a 2012 Genesis Coupe up until this week when it was flooded and totaled Needless to say I'm in the market for a new car and I'm strongly considering a used WRX and just have a few questions.

1. I loved the Gen Coupe but my main complain with it was that it was basically unusable in any snow at all, and being in NY that's a problem. How does the WRX handle snow on all season tires? On a scale of 1-10 I'd say the Gen was a 1 or 2, what would you guys say the WRX is?

2. How do these cars age? This is going to be my fourth car in 5 years and I would really like this one to last quite a while. How do you guys feel your WRXs hold up over the years? Ay common issues? Still happy with your purchase?

3. Of course I like the speed / performance of the WRX and will definitely do some minor mods, but how is the car as a DD? Would you guys say that it's comfortable for long trips, grocery shopping, commuting, etc?

4. How is the stock clutch? The GC stock clutch is GARBAGE and started slipping at 25k and I'm not a very hard driver. Assuming you don't beat the heck out of it, what kind of mileage do you guys see on them? Will it handle the extra power of bolt-ons + tune without an issue?

I think that's it for now, thanks for any input guys. Much appreciated.

Kevin
    Last edited by kevin217; 08-18-2014 at 11:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Where in NY? Spend an extra 800 or (maybe less) and get a set of dedicated snow tires
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

You can do less if you shop around craigslist and/or don't mind using steelies. I'm using 16" steelies and I paid ~$700 new for wheels and tires. Definitely worth it. The difference is amazing, don't know how I went my whole life without snow tires.

edit: damn, i'm assuming Long Island Flooding: Islip, New York Swamped By Over 13 Inches of Rain - weather.com is what happened? 13" of rain in 24 hrs, that's nuts.

Kevin, I'm assuming you're from Long Island as last week, well, many people lost their cars due to flash flooding.

1- The WRX does not come with all season tires, it comes with summer rubber, so you will need to invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. Look at it this way, when in somewhat of a performance car would it be better to have one set of wheels/tires that are mediocre in all conditions, or spend the extra $1000 (less if you get used rims or steelies) and have top notch performance in the summer AND the winter? Anyway, in a nutshell, the WRX is great in the snow.

2-I've only had my car for 5 months, so I cant give you a very good answer coming from experience. However, Subarus retain their value well, and people tend to keep them till they fall apart, from all that I've gathered over the years it seems that if you take care of them they last a long time.

3- Great DD. I cant speak for the STI, bit the stock WRX has a very balanced ride (yes, it is my DD), not too soft and not stiff like a go-cart. There is minimal body roll (the 2015 has almost none, I drive a 2014), good damping and a comfortable driving position. Only minus for some people is the road noise, yeh, Subarus are minimalistic in that deportment, they all tend to have a fair amount of road noise. This doesn't bother me, but it does bother some.

4- No complaints from me, I like the clutch feel on this car (though you will have to get used to it if you've never driven an AWD manual before). My only complaint is the synchros are a bit clunky on the 5speed (IDK if this still applies to the 2015s 6speed), I feel like I can be too quick for this transmission and I had to slow down my shifts by a hair, especially into 3rd and 5th. It's a non-issue once you get used to it, but there is room for improvement.

Overall, if you want a quick AWD car, I dont think you will find more bang for your buck anywhere else... but do drive one before you make your decision.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Yup, I'm on LI. That rain killed me, lol.
    So it looks like winter tires are basically a must if I want to be able to drive safely in snow then, huh?

Thanks again for the input and I appreciate any more answers!

Yeh, summer tires get very hard below 40 degrees.

Hey drowned a car? I know a thing or two about that...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Kevin, did you specify a brand new vs a couple years old?

If old gen, then heres my take. I had very similar concerns when I got my 2013.

1) I got a set of 16inch closeout rims. barely more than steelies and look a touch better. You will wonder why you never got designated winter tires in the past. Plus, your summer tires will last twice as long.
    2) plenty of people here have wrx's that are 8-10 years old. The interior isn't luxury, but maintained they seem to have a long life. plenty of threads on that topic.
    3) I went WRX, more of a racy DD, versus the STI with is a race car being used for DD. I commute 55 miles each way 2 or 3 times a week. I love it, heavy traffic the clutch it is a PITA, but that is standard. The seat is okay for long trips, nothing special, not as nice as my old Volvo, but to be expected. Getting there is where the WRX excels, it is just plain fun. A drivers car if you will.
    4) I have 22 k on mine in 17 months, I purchased brand new. ZERO issues with the car so far, just maintenance and gas and go. I have put no mods on it, just the factory sport option (was free). There are plenty of threads summarizing how much modding you can do with a little effort. If you commit to bolt ons, everyone says start with a AP tuner or equivalent. I am 100% stock tho. Milage is consistently 25 mpg on the highway at 80mph at 5,500 ft. I haven't moved my gas tracking to my excel yet to verify.

Other items, not sure on your specific needs.

I have a rear facing toddler seat, it fits fine, and she loves the "daddy go weeee" action the WRX provides. I will be able to get my second one in, but that is all. No room for the dog or any additional persons but it is not a suburban.
    Trunk storage is adequate. I also have a roof rack (as do many/most).
    Heated seats work wonders in the winter.

For the record, I drove my first STI at protuned Stage 2 for 50k miles over 2 and a half years before I got rid of it (just wanted a different car at the time). It never even stuttered.

I drove my second STI for near 2 years and another 60k miles on it with Stage 2 on it until I drowned it myself. It was running excellently (the engine anyway...my rear differential had some clunking). The car ended its life with 135k miles on the clock and was still plenty powerful and reliable.

Treat the car well and take care of it, and there's no reason why it won't last every bit as long as any Honda Civic or Toyota Camry/Corolla.

I also DD'd both of them...numerous multi-hundred mile trips in each of them (one was lowered on coilovers) and had 30-mile commutes each way. Kidneys did hurt a bit after I lowered the second STI, but that's also because the 05 STI seats were some of the worst in means of support and bolster.

My current 2012 WRX is awesome. It's comfortable...and handles mods pretty well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Not much to add - it is a great daily driver. I am so used to the suspension I really don't like cushy rides like the Impala much - with the WRX you can feel the road but it doesn't shock your sacrum.

I got my 2012 used with all weather tires (Fuzions) which have held up nicely for 20,000 miles. They are actually great summer tires, my only complaint being somewhat above average road noise, and so-so winter tires. But if you drive carefully not a big deal. They get good traction, just tend to slide in the corners, which is actually kinda fun if you're not careless. I plan on getting Blizzaks for the upcoming winter though.

Super versatile car with a lot of space. BTW another advantage of the WRX over the STI as a daily driver is the gas mileage - low to mid 20's vs teens. It's nice not having to fill up twice a week.

I bought my 14 sedan new in March. I live in so cal, so I can't comment on snow driving.

Commuting is fun, easy to drive and park(compared to driving my 2500hd crew cab since 07). This car needs a 6th gear however. At 80mph I'm doing 3200rpm. This seems high to me.

The clutch is great. It has always been a chore to get it in reverse though.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

If I can work out a good deal with I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 2013 WRX Premium sedan. 30k miles. They have it listed at 25k, what would you guys say a good price would be?

Thanks again

mrd
    If you are hitting 25k, then look at new one. Base starts @27,5k. Probably you could work on price. They still have 2.9% interest on 60months.
    It is good car, new is probably ready for nice ride without mods at the beginning. They claim that handling is improved.
    I had wrx 2011 for 4 years and around 60k miles, never had any trouble, despite the fact that my wife killed her in a crush.
    I regularly drive winter set Nov-April and live in SF area. Had only two sets of tires summer OEM and winter Michelin P3 Alpine.
    It is great car, I usually have 20-30 one day ski trips to Tahoe, and with winter tires never stopped in snow. Car is the beast, although I like my 15 STi much better.
    Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Hey drowned a car? I know a thing or two about that...
    Drew? Did you hack Mikie's account??
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    If you are hitting 25k, then look at new one. Base starts @27,5k. Probably you could work on price. They still have 2.9% interest on 60months.
    It is good car, new is probably ready for nice ride without mods at the beginning. They claim that handling is improved.
    I had wrx 2011 for 4 years and around 60k miles, never had any trouble, despite the fact that my wife killed her in a crush.
    I regularly drive winter set Nov-April and live in SF area. Had only two sets of tires summer OEM and winter Michelin P3 Alpine.
    It is great car, I usually have 20-30 one day ski trips to Tahoe, and with winter tires never stopped in snow. Car is the beast, although I like my 15 STi much better.
    Good luck.
    Base starts at $25,995, I paid $25K for my 2014 base hatch five months ago.

@kevin
    You should be able to get them down on that price a little, the premium new is listed at a little over $27K... but just goes to show you, these cars hold their value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.