Subaru WRX Forum banner

Thinking of buying a WRX - couple questions

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  soloz2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I used to drive a 2012 Genesis Coupe up until this week when it was flooded and totaled :( Needless to say I'm in the market for a new car and I'm strongly considering a used WRX and just have a few questions.

1. I loved the Gen Coupe but my main complain with it was that it was basically unusable in any snow at all, and being in NY that's a problem. How does the WRX handle snow on all season tires? On a scale of 1-10 I'd say the Gen was a 1 or 2, what would you guys say the WRX is?

2. How do these cars age? This is going to be my fourth car in 5 years and I would really like this one to last quite a while. How do you guys feel your WRXs hold up over the years? Ay common issues? Still happy with your purchase?

3. Of course I like the speed / performance of the WRX and will definitely do some minor mods, but how is the car as a DD? Would you guys say that it's comfortable for long trips, grocery shopping, commuting, etc?

4. How is the stock clutch? The GC stock clutch is GARBAGE and started slipping at 25k and I'm not a very hard driver. Assuming you don't beat the heck out of it, what kind of mileage do you guys see on them? Will it handle the extra power of bolt-ons + tune without an issue?

I think that's it for now, thanks for any input guys. Much appreciated.

Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
Where in NY? Spend an extra 800 or (maybe less) and get a set of dedicated snow tires

#3 ·
#4 ·
Kevin, I'm assuming you're from Long Island as last week, well, many people lost their cars due to flash flooding.

1- The WRX does not come with all season tires, it comes with summer rubber, so you will need to invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. Look at it this way, when in somewhat of a performance car would it be better to have one set of wheels/tires that are mediocre in all conditions, or spend the extra $1000 (less if you get used rims or steelies) and have top notch performance in the summer AND the winter? Anyway, in a nutshell, the WRX is great in the snow.

2-I've only had my car for 5 months, so I cant give you a very good answer coming from experience. However, Subarus retain their value well, and people tend to keep them till they fall apart, from all that I've gathered over the years it seems that if you take care of them they last a long time.

3- Great DD. I cant speak for the STI, bit the stock WRX has a very balanced ride (yes, it is my DD), not too soft and not stiff like a go-cart. There is minimal body roll (the 2015 has almost none, I drive a 2014), good damping and a comfortable driving position. Only minus for some people is the road noise, yeh, Subarus are minimalistic in that deportment, they all tend to have a fair amount of road noise. This doesn't bother me, but it does bother some.

4- No complaints from me, I like the clutch feel on this car (though you will have to get used to it if you've never driven an AWD manual before). My only complaint is the synchros are a bit clunky on the 5speed (IDK if this still applies to the 2015s 6speed), I feel like I can be too quick for this transmission and I had to slow down my shifts by a hair, especially into 3rd and 5th. It's a non-issue once you get used to it, but there is room for improvement.

Overall, if you want a quick AWD car, I dont think you will find more bang for your buck anywhere else... but do drive one before you make your decision.

#8 ·
Kevin, did you specify a brand new vs a couple years old?

If old gen, then heres my take. I had very similar concerns when I got my 2013.

1) I got a set of 16inch closeout rims. barely more than steelies and look a touch better. You will wonder why you never got designated winter tires in the past. Plus, your summer tires will last twice as long.
2) plenty of people here have wrx's that are 8-10 years old. The interior isn't luxury, but maintained they seem to have a long life. plenty of threads on that topic.
3) I went WRX, more of a racy DD, versus the STI with is a race car being used for DD. I commute 55 miles each way 2 or 3 times a week. I love it, heavy traffic the clutch it is a PITA, but that is standard. The seat is okay for long trips, nothing special, not as nice as my old Volvo, but to be expected. Getting there is where the WRX excels, it is just plain fun. A drivers car if you will.
4) I have 22 k on mine in 17 months, I purchased brand new. ZERO issues with the car so far, just maintenance and gas and go. I have put no mods on it, just the factory sport option (was free). There are plenty of threads summarizing how much modding you can do with a little effort. If you commit to bolt ons, everyone says start with a AP tuner or equivalent. I am 100% stock tho. Milage is consistently 25 mpg on the highway at 80mph at 5,500 ft. I haven't moved my gas tracking to my excel yet to verify.

Other items, not sure on your specific needs.

I have a rear facing toddler seat, it fits fine, and she loves the "daddy go weeee" action the WRX provides. I will be able to get my second one in, but that is all. No room for the dog or any additional persons but it is not a suburban.
Trunk storage is adequate. I also have a roof rack (as do many/most).
Heated seats work wonders in the winter.

#9 ·
For the record, I drove my first STI at protuned Stage 2 for 50k miles over 2 and a half years before I got rid of it (just wanted a different car at the time). It never even stuttered.

I drove my second STI for near 2 years and another 60k miles on it with Stage 2 on it until I drowned it myself. It was running excellently (the engine anyway...my rear differential had some clunking). The car ended its life with 135k miles on the clock and was still plenty powerful and reliable.

Treat the car well and take care of it, and there's no reason why it won't last every bit as long as any Honda Civic or Toyota Camry/Corolla.

I also DD'd both of them...numerous multi-hundred mile trips in each of them (one was lowered on coilovers) and had 30-mile commutes each way. Kidneys did hurt a bit after I lowered the second STI, but that's also because the 05 STI seats were some of the worst in means of support and bolster.

My current 2012 WRX is awesome. It's comfortable...and handles mods pretty well.

#10 ·
Not much to add - it is a great daily driver. I am so used to the suspension I really don't like cushy rides like the Impala much - with the WRX you can feel the road but it doesn't shock your sacrum.

I got my 2012 used with all weather tires (Fuzions) which have held up nicely for 20,000 miles. They are actually great summer tires, my only complaint being somewhat above average road noise, and so-so winter tires. But if you drive carefully not a big deal. They get good traction, just tend to slide in the corners, which is actually kinda fun if you're not careless. I plan on getting Blizzaks for the upcoming winter though.

Super versatile car with a lot of space. BTW another advantage of the WRX over the STI as a daily driver is the gas mileage - low to mid 20's vs teens. It's nice not having to fill up twice a week.

#11 ·
I bought my 14 sedan new in March. I live in so cal, so I can't comment on snow driving.

Commuting is fun, easy to drive and park(compared to driving my 2500hd crew cab since 07). This car needs a 6th gear however. At 80mph I'm doing 3200rpm. This seems high to me.

The clutch is great. It has always been a chore to get it in reverse though.

#16 ·
That's not terrible for a premium sedan. I'd try and get it knocked down a grand more or so though at least. Tell me that there's a brand new model out that costs the same price and that you're prepared to walk away or look new elsewhere.

#13 ·
If you are hitting 25k, then look at new one. Base starts @27,5k. Probably you could work on price. They still have 2.9% interest on 60months.
It is good car, new is probably ready for nice ride without mods at the beginning. They claim that handling is improved.
I had wrx 2011 for 4 years and around 60k miles, never had any trouble, despite the fact that my wife killed her in a crush.
I regularly drive winter set Nov-April and live in SF area. Had only two sets of tires summer OEM and winter Michelin P3 Alpine.
It is great car, I usually have 20-30 one day ski trips to Tahoe, and with winter tires never stopped in snow. Car is the beast, although I like my 15 STi much better. :)
Good luck.

#18 ·
Thank you guys for all the replies. A lot of great info here, and you guys basically solidified my want for the car!
It seems like it would fit every need that I'd have of it without issue, so I'm thinking it may be the way to go, despite my fiancee wanting me to get an SUV... Heh

I spoke with one of the saleswomen today and was able to get the price down to 22,995. I still think that's a little steep since I can get a new one for a few thousand more, but that price is now significantly cheaper than any other local deal.

Thanks again guys

#19 ·
man let me tell u, ur getting a steal for 22,995. thats awesome. see, these cars hold their value like gold or silver. but not really. but kind of. take for instance, my 08 wrx. it had 30k miles. i purchased for 23k. i blew it up by not knowing a thing. anyways. back on track.. they were able to get me 12k for that car without an engine. now, i know you are probably like, man u lost 9 grand. yea. i know, but, i needed a car asap. and i didn't want it nomore even after the engine had been placed. simply because i wanted a new new car. but they arent all bad use no man

#21 ·
I haven't driven my 14 WRX in snow yet, but I have driven other subies and they have all been fantastic in the snow.

I recommend you get a dedicated set of snow tires. For less than $600 I picked up a set of 02-05 wrx wheels and a brand new set of snow tires.

As a DD all out subies have been great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Okay... My experiences. Winter/snow. I live in Maine.. Read bad weather ****ty roads. Designated snow tires will give you at least 4 happy seasons. If you keep car 4 yrs or more mount them on different wheels. Keep tire size same for summer and winter. Reliability. Durability.. Look for one without mods. You don't want someone else's hack job. I still have a 1980 wagon..not wrx obviously, bought new with well over 250k,
This is my 4th subie. Do the maintenance by the book, wash the underneath, do body work as needed, you'll get tired of it before you wear it out.

Clutch. If you know how to drive a mt no reason you shouldn't get 125k from a clutch.
Choose your brake pads. High performance pads need to get hot to work properly.. Not the best setup for a DD.
Check tire pressures at least monthly.

Turbos.. I change oil and filter every 3k, rotate tires every 6k.
Everything else by the book, run em hard..maintain well.

If you can handle the looks, you'll never switch.

#23 ·
Okay... My experiences. Winter/snow. I live in Maine.. Read bad weather ****ty roads. Designated snow tires will give you at least 4 happy seasons. If you keep car 4 yrs or more mount them on different wheels. Keep tire size same for summer and winter. Reliability.
No reason you need to keep your winter and summer setups the same size. This gives you the opportunity to run different sized wheels summer and winter.
I ran 18" in summer on my Legacy and 17" winter.
My wife runs 18" summer and 17" winter. 17" tires were a good 150-200 less than oem sized tires for her XT
My new WRX is running stock summer for now and I picked up some 16" WRX wheels for winter. Tires are about $100-150 cheaper than a comparable 17" size.

Not only is it less money to run a - 1 size, but running a narrower tire will help dig through snow. The only thing you give up depending on tire selection is some sidewall stiffness, but we are talking snow tires here not summer performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.