Not sure why I didn't buy this car sooner!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Not sure why I didn't buy this car sooner! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have just acquired my first WRX; a 2011 sedan. I've only had it for about 24 hours, but already ...

Not sure why I didn't buy this car sooner!

I have just acquired my first WRX; a 2011 sedan. I've only had it for about 24 hours, but already I'm wondering aloud "Why the hell didn't you buy this car sooner?" For those interested in the short version, skip to the penultimate paragraph. For those reading this on the toilet having just had Taco Bell, we're both gonna be here for awhile.

I drove a Ford 1992 F-150 in high school, and a 1995 Ford Explorer in college. But the first car I ever bought for myself was a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS. That was a pretty fun little car. 210 hp in a sub-3,000 lb car is a fairly sporty combination for someone coming from a truck and an SUV.

But I got interested in modding. That is one of the reasons I got the Eclipse; it had a history of modding. That history, of course, only pertained to the 1G and 2G versions of the car, and as time rolled by and it became clear that a solid turbo kit was never coming, I wanted to move on.

Car #2 was a 2004 Dodge SRT-4. Fun, fun car. A little scary at times, but 2nd gear in that car was a thing of beauty. I liked it so well I got a second one for the wife, trading in her very boring Chevy Monte Carlo.

Between the two SRT's I did a turbo-back exhaust, carbon fiber hood, blow off valve, boost controller, intercooler, STS, engine mounts, lowering springs, and a few others. I was having a good ole' time. But both cars ended up being sort of franken-cars, as I was distributing my modding budget twixt two cars. In the end I'm not sure either car was the better for my meddling. But man did I learn a lot.

By this time, we really only needed one car, so we traded in both cars for a 2008 Mazda RX-8. Talk about fun to drive. Effortless, fast, tight, sounded great, looked great. Truly loved that car. But we had a baby, and suddenly those suicide doors became harder and harder to live with day-to-day. It was a sad day for my wife and I when we had to let her go (the car, not the baby...), but we needed to save money and something more reasonable. Enter the dark times.

For awhile we were subsisting off of a 2000 Ford Explorer, like animals. The same model of vehicle that was great for a college kid in 1999 to haul laundry home on long weekends was now a nightmare for a man who's driven progressively more and more fun cars. Adding a 1999 manual Ford Contour V6 helped survive the drought, but while fairly entertaining to drive, she was dying a slow death and became unfit for highway speeds.

The car that was meant to solve the need for practicality with the desire for a little driving excitement became a 2014 Mazda CX-5. It IS a great car. Handles very well, great feedback from the road, peppy engine, great interior space, amazing radio, cool tech features -- I like driving it. But man, it isn't the fun-first-everything-else-be-damned car I desired.

I'd always wanted a WRX. From the SRT-4 to the RX-8 to the CX-5; the car I always wished I could buy at that time was the WRX. But it was either too expensive, I couldn't find a good used one, or it wasn't an automatic for the wife to drive in rush hour (she put up with a manual in stop and go for the better part of a decade. She'd had her fill).

Long story short (too late) -- my friend was looking to get out of a bad loan and move into something fancier (he got a 2014 BMW 328d X-drive) and sold me his 2011 WRX at what I consider a heck of a deal (yes, I am from Minnesota). And after only 24 hours, I keep asking myself, why didn't I buy this car sooner? Alas, I can only be appreciative that the quest I took to get here helps me appreciate it all the more now that it is mine. I'm in love.

I look forward to conversing with many of you in the near future here on the boards and maybe even meeting up with a few locals. Nice to meet you all!
    Last edited by Wildside50; 08-14-2014 at 11:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new car! Sometimes I wish I would've gotten the sedan and then threw the STi wing on it. I love that look, BUT I love my discontinued hatch Have you looked into any catback exhausts yet? That stock one is way too quiet. I have the CNT catback on my hatch and you nothing can beat that price for a full 3" catback exhaust.

Welcome! And congratulations on the car!

Welcome!!
    I always asked why i waited so long to get me a subaru as well
    Congrats on buying the car.
    Post some pictures!
    To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    Tumblr: Turbospooledtreflip

Wait until you've had it for 6 years....you will be asking yourself, why do I still have this money pit.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Wait until you've had it for 6 years....you will be asking yourself, why do I still have this money pit.
    +1
    2013 Subaru STI

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Sure hope not, plan is to keep for 10 years 200k miles and expect very little mods.

I hear ya, I drove a dodge shadow, ford aerostar, and honda accord till I got mine. Funny though, (well not really) I test drove the 06 wrx and ended up buying the accord instead. Thought I was making a better decision financially, shame on me. So happy now

welcome! just a few days ago i would have waved from breckenridge if that was close enough. and congrats on your rex! i have to agree on the dark ages lol, although mine was a little different. like a 69 chevy van with sidepipes and for a while a geo metro(gaah but 60mpg in town lol) and a 1979 dodge challenger. wait...they didnt make a challenger in 79? right. mitsubishi did though. shammme hahahah
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    welcome! just a few days ago i would have waved from breckenridge if that was close enough. and congrats on your rex! i have to agree on the dark ages lol, although mine was a little different. like a 69 chevy van with sidepipes and for a while a geo metro(gaah but 60mpg in town lol) and a 1979 dodge challenger. wait...they didnt make a challenger in 79? right. mitsubishi did though. shammme hahahah
    I remember that God Awful 1979 Challegebishi! What a horror show, most kids now would have no ideas what it is without google.
    Anyway welcome Wildside50 welcome my friend. It sounds like you were already drinking the Kool Aid. It's quite popular here. Post some pics of your WRX. Or start a build thread and add pics as you go along. It's always a whiz bang of a time here!
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

And what makes it a money pit?

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I remember that God Awful 1979 Challegebishi! What a horror show, most kids now would have no ideas what it is without google.
    Anyway welcome Wildside50 welcome my friend. It sounds like you were already drinking the Kool Aid. It's quite popular here. Post some pics of your WRX. Or start a build thread and add pics as you go along. It's always a whiz bang of a time here!
    I don't intend to do much modding I don't think. A few autocross events might convince me otherwise, but for now my only intentions are to replace the damaged hood (it had an unfortunate run-in with a truck tailgate at low speed), maybe with something carbon-fiber, and maybe get a better audio system installed. As is, she does what I bought her to do; put a huge smile on my face every time I take an onramp. But we shall see.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildside50 View Post
    I don't intend to do much modding I don't think. A few autocross events might convince me otherwise, but for now my only intentions are to replace the damaged hood (it had an unfortunate run-in with a truck tailgate at low speed), maybe with something carbon-fiber, and maybe get a better audio system installed. As is, she does what I bought her to do; put a huge smile on my face every time I take an onramp. But we shall see.
    We all said that! I'm going to have about 330whp after my next upgrade, it always starts small and grows and grows. I just did WhiteLine swaybars on my 2013 WRX. An excellent upgrade and a must for Autocross. Get a Cobb AP tuner you be glad you did a great starting platform for modding. Also get a short throw shifter and bushing if you haven't already. You will be amazed at what changing mounts and bushings can do.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    We all said that! I'm going to have about 330whp after my next upgrade, it always starts small and grows and grows. I just did WhiteLine swaybars on my 2013 WRX. An excellent upgrade and a must for Autocross. Get a Cobb AP tuner you be glad you did a great starting platform for modding. Also get a short throw shifter and bushing if you haven't already. You will be amazed at what changing mounts and bushings can do.
    I'm talking to my friend who sold me the car right now and he said that Cobb is basically equivalent to Subaru's as Mopar was to my SRT-4s. Everyone in an SRT-4 wanted to buy the Mopar staged kits. So Cobb is where my money will go I am sure. He even went so far as to say that a Cobb Accessport (which I assume is what AP tuner stands for) is the best $500 you can spend. Coming from an SRT-4 in the mod-realm, the thing I miss most is a boost gauge. That might have to be a thing... Suspension and swaybar mods are much more likely than engine upgrades, as I've turned a little sour on that in the past. The car has a dealer installed STI short throw in there that feels fine to me. That is one of the only SRT-4 mods I made that I loved; the STS and bushings. This shifter feels fine to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool!
    I definitely recommend Cobb products.
    I have the AP tuner the SF air intake and air box, also my Downpipe is a catted Cobb downpipe.
    I would also highly recommend a catted Downpipe mine is the Cobb. Keeps it legal and helps prevent boost creep. And yes the Cobb AP tuner is the best money you can spend about $500 version 2 or I have V3 Cobb tuner, that is newest but either one would work. It also can be set up with gauges you want to monitor, like a boost gauge and a few others. It is a very versatile tool to have. I'm on my 2nd WRX and 2nd Cobb tuner.
    Plus there sales and support staff is awesome. Keep us posted on your progress.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast