New to WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i have owned my 2009 WRX for about two months and have put on a SPT exhaust system and ...

New to WRX

So i have owned my 2009 WRX for about two months and have put on a SPT exhaust system and a Injen cold air intake. Cosmetically I also put on a Neo chrome shifter knob, and a SPT Boost gauge. I have not gotten the car tuned since the exhaust and intake upgrades, so HP increase has been very limited. I owned a 1995 3000gt SL before this and absolutely loved the car, my girlfriend on the other hand said i couldn't own two sports cars. I wanted more HP and sold the GT and picked up my WRX and it is so much fun to drive. Very fast and quick for being pretty much stock. If anyone has some friendly upgrades that don't require me ripping the entire motor out i am open to anything. Have full access to a garage at work when all of my employees are gone, but only for basic things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10447654_10152274382339952_6374852909455541917_n.jpg   10532382_10152274382394952_8506049929188966834_n.jpg   16300_10152340899339952_7051932176827718379_n.jpg   1078694_10151591017114952_575092146_o.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Love the black!

The intake won't do you much good until stage 2. I would recommend that you put the stock intake back on until you have a way to tune for it. It can mess with your engine if not tuned properly (maf scaling). Our cars are very sensitive to chaining things without proper tuning. A good bang for your buck mod that is easy is to get a high flow down pipe installed, which the stock one is the major restriction in the exhaust. You will need to tune for that, so research if you either want to use the COBB AP unit with off the shelf tunes, or you want to use a tactrix cable and go open source (cheaper). Then you can get the intake tuned for at the same time.

I second that.

As far as recommendations, what are your goals?
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I triple that. Beautiful car man!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    I would definitely get the Cobb AP. I have had them on two Subaru's my 04 WRX and my 2013 WRX. Downpipe is a great place to start. I would suggest the Cobb catted DownPipe, I use it myself with an invidia N1 catback.
    It sounds awesome.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Thank you guys for the input. And right now I don't have any serious goals with the car because it is under warranty and might as well use that up while I can and each year just get everything checked out and replaced as needed for cheep. I'll definitely look into a down pipe and do my research on which one to get

welcome!
    Nice car!!
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

take that intake off ASAP unless you want to blow your motor... no disrespect but you should have done a little more research before throwing mods on your car :/ i hope you didn't do significant damage to your engine because of that intake without a tune. if you want power mods, i usually see it going like this:

1) catback exhaust
    2) intake & cobb accessport w/ stage 1 tune (the accessport loads maps from cobb's website into your ECU)
    3) catted/catless downpipe w/ stage 2 tune (done from same accessport, but at this point getting a protune would be better for your car. protune meaning you go to a shop with a dyno and a tuner in person and you get the tune done specific to your car as opposed to a generic tune from cobb) you would probably want to get an upgraded intercooler before you get a protune so you can make more power. also, if you're catless, read up on boost creep, which is why most people get high flow cat downpipes. I'm new to modding myself, but I believe most people get a MBC (manual boost controller) to eliminate the boost creep (extra, non accounted for boost due to the increased flow from no cat which can damage your motor I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
    take that intake off ASAP unless you want to blow your motor...
    +1000000

I can contest to that.
    My car was ran with an injen intake(for i dont know how long by the previous owner)
    I had the car for 25 hours and there went the motor.
    Either get a tune now or take off the intake.
    Best of luck
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Thank you very much for the information about the intake. From everything I had read on their site and from other people is that is comes pre-tuned and is just fine for the car. It even says right on the box "the first pre-tuned intake" I will be taking it off this weekend when i have some time. Only 150ish miles have been put on the motor with it on, so i hope that didn't do anything

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.