Getting a car - Have some questions!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Getting a car - Have some questions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone this is my first post on ClubWRX! As soon as I turned 16 I got my license (took ...

Getting a car - Have some questions!

Hey everyone this is my first post on ClubWRX!
    As soon as I turned 16 I got my license (took driver's ed @ 15). So recently I have been looking for a first car, and believe it or not I am a huge car enthusiast. I like pretty much any car i'm not too picky. I've learned how to drive manual as of now and I was looking to get a WRX as my first car. I know they're fast cars and not very good for immature teens to drive and put their lives in danger but I'm sure I can handle it. I never drive dangerously fast.

I've already found 2 very clean WRX's and looked at them irl. They're both accident free and clean title + low mileage. Both lightly modded. I heard its better to buy a wrx that is not modded vs modded because its likely the previous owner did not treat it well (driving-wise). Either way both of the ones that i'm choosing from have a cat-back, a boost guage and thats pretty much it nothing else at all. Engine bay fully stock nothing aftermarket or replaced (i followed a wrx buy guide from this forum and everything was great on both)

2006 impreza wrx : 88k miles
    2004 impreza wrx: 76k miles

one was blobeye one hawkeye, i love both, as i said before im not picky.
    I've already calculated the payments and got quotes from both dealers. Just so you all know, i do have a VERY reliable job even though im 16, and i make ~900 a month as of now (summer) but during school i will be focusing on my grades so i will only make ~700 a month (calculated).

The car payments for both were quoted @ around 370 a month for 3 years (after taxes and everything)
    after gas, regular maintenance, and insurance i would still have money left.

Soooo here are my questions:

1. Is this a good idea? (In your opinion. Please consider the fact that I'm responsible and have a reliable job)
    2. I've heard insurance is A KILLER for 16 year olds on these cars, i was wondering can the insurance be under my dad's name? I know if i get tickets the rates will go high but he trusts me and i never speed so it should be ok right?
    3. Are wrx's even reliable? Do the engine components need to be replaced every certain amount of miles? I understand certain parts need replacing depending on the use, like the clutch for example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 wrx.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	161681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 wrx.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	161689

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kings3p View Post
    1. Is this a good idea? (In your opinion. Please consider the fact that I'm responsible and have a reliable job)
    2. I've heard insurance is A KILLER for 16 year olds on these cars, i was wondering can the insurance be under my dad's name? I know if i get tickets the rates will go high but he trusts me and i never speed so it should be ok right?
    3. Are wrx's even reliable? Do the engine components need to be replaced every certain amount of miles? I understand certain parts need replacing depending on the use, like the clutch for example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 wrx.jpg 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	161681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 wrx.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	161689
    Firstly,

Hello young man, and welcome to the forum. You will find esteemed and knowledgable gents here to help as I have.

I am not that young, but a relatively new Subaru owner. I personally own and daily drive an 09 WRX Sedan.

To address your questions:

1)An absolutely fine idea. You are young and as long as you respect what you are buying and treat it and the road around with respect, you could own a Ferrari as your own maturity can go a long way. My first car at 16 was 91 Ford Mustang 5.0. It was far from stock before I turned 18 but I respected it and never put anybody or other vehicles at risk. I cant speak for my actions on dark highways in the middle of the black night. Keep mature, keep employed and im sure you will be fine!

2)I cant properly answer your question here as I live in BC, Canada. The insurance works different here, however, I have found insurance rates to be pretty high for my WRX. I am a good driver with goldstar status, full discount and I still pay a higher than fair amount(IMHO). Do what you can to save money etc and use your dad (bless his soul for even being willing to do that for ya) but if you can, build up your own profile and take out your own policy. This is not advice though, just my opinion. Speeding and getting caught both suck when they are together. Calculate when and where you speed and you should be ok.

3)I love this question. To say they are "unreliable" would be a lie...from my perspective. They can cost a lot of $$$ to maintain. Fluids and the changes therein cost a bit. If you start to modify and add power, you will need to maintain that much more in turn. IMHO. Add power...add maintenance...beyond the manual. Like you are planning, I bought my WRX used in 2012. It had 54,000KMS (im in Canada) on it, and it was PURE STOCK. I have since added some power and parts and have had NO reliability issues to date. It starts and gets me around with no hassle. Recently though, my clutch is giving me problems and so this will be the first wear and tear item I am replacing. Keep in mind I have had the car with this original clutch since I bought it. It has never been changed to my knowledge. I cant say its unreliable as I added some power to my car. I am sure I just expedited my wear on the clutch after going to Stage 2 some 2 months ago. That being said, it is still a hefty price that I didn't consider when I went to Stage 2. I have replaced the cabin filter a couple times. Perhaps I have just been lucky thus far, or perhaps tomorrow my car may die on the side of the road. I do my best to learn and mitigate the possibilities but I am sure people have had horrendous experiences with these cars and will NEVER look at one again. To sum up reliability though...I now have nearly two years of ownership...current odometer reading is 102,314KMS and running great (except that dam clutch) LOL!!! Other than tranny fluid and oil...my car has not asked anything of me. Oh...I had the spark plugs changed out at just before 100,000KMS. Minor but necessary expense.

So...take a couple looks at the rides you have lined up. Test drive...look...test drive...look...inspect...everywhere...underneath, under hood...I know you read the guide so that is good.

Spend your hard earned money with patience and wit...not haste.

Cheers,

Blammo
    Last edited by Blammo; 08-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hello. there is always a lot of debate with this topic. i got my wrx when i was young (17) but at that point i was driving for 3 years and it was my 4th car, not 1st. at the end of the day, only you know how responsible you are and what your driving habits are. there are a lot of mature teenagers who can handle the responsibility and cost of ownership, and there are some that just flat out cannot.

i'll leave you with these:

Be careful out there

15 Year Old Noob

2002 subaru impreza wrx as a first car?...

How to afford a 06-10 WRX STi as a HS Student

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome kings3p!
    A WRX for a first car is a big step. You have got to be careful and always respect the car.
    When I was your age I drove a Ford Taurus sedan, all my friends made fun of it.
    They were driving Mustangs, Trans Am, Monte Carlo SS. I drove the sedans for years well my friends lost licenses and destroyed cars. That was 1999, flash forward to 2014. I bought a brand new WRX in 2013, the best decision I ever made. My friends now have horrible driving records and drive s boxes. Insurance is going to be crazy, and I only pay $370 per month on my 2013. But your loan would be short. My honest opinion you are best off with the 04 WRX. First it has less miles, mine was super low miles. Second it's older and would be a little less on insurance. And third the 04 isn't as powerful as the 06, which in your case would be better. I think if you start with 04 and really get some driving experience, a couple years from now you could upgrade. Keep in mind what Blammo said about cost of ownership, WRXs are a lot more maintenance and have higher fuel oil and maintenance costs. It's not a Honda Civic the temptation to go fast is overwhelming. But it's part of learning, as you go along. And yes WRXs are reliable cars, if you get them serviced regularly and don't beat on them. And like any other car there are pros and cons. You seem responsible so I trust you will make an informed decision. Good luck! And keep us posted.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Firstly,

1)An absolutely fine idea. You are young and as long as you respect what you are buying and treat it and the road around with respect, you could own a Ferrari as your own maturity can go a long way.

2)I cant properly answer your question here as I live in BC, Canada. The insurance works different here, however, I have found insurance rates to be pretty high for my WRX.

So...take a couple looks at the rides you have lined up. Test drive...look...test drive...look...inspect...everywhere...underneath, under hood...I know you read the guide so that is good.

Spend your hard earned money with patience and wit...not haste.

Blammo
    '

Hey blammo, thanks so much for the help =]
    I will absolutely be careful with any vehicle regardless of the price, because life is on the line. Anyways I spoke to my dad about the insurance and we called our provider, he said we can put the insurance on one of my parents names to bring it down ALOT as long as I'm careful and when I turn 18 we will change it to my name which seems like a pretty good idea.
    And absolutely I will take my time, i'm not in a rush at all. Rushing while buying a car never ends up good.

thanks!

Thanks for those topics! Gonna read them all today.

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Welcome kings3p!
    You have got to be careful and always respect the car.
    I only pay $370 per month on my 2013. But your loan would be short.
    My honest opinion you are best off with the 04 WRX.
    Hey townline, thanks for the reply man. I will always be careful, I know this is hard to believe coming from a young teenager but even while im driving with friends im even extra careful instead of driving fast. I know my responsibilities and the consequences that will vanish my HS life if I don't follow them lol.
    We got quoted ~ $360 for both of them for only 3 years, during the summer after i get my good grades i usually work alot more so i can double the payments on some months and get it payed off within 2 years, this means before i start college ill have a fully paid off WRX (hopefullly).
    I will definitely keep you all posted.

If you have the vin # of the vehicle you can actually check with your insurance company how much it will be. Don't go off make and model because they will always tell you a lower number. Insurance will probably be killer for any 16 year old not driving a prius or older vehicle but it may not be as bad as you think. I would definetely buy it because your only in highschool once and driving a nice car is always a plus, plus the fact your working and can pay it off before college. People told me not to buy my current STi because of every factor but it puts a smile on my face every day and compliments from people. Just be careful seen too many people ruin great cars trying to look cool. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Jbravo_AK; 08-13-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

You seem like you have your head on right kid!
    My first car was a 3cyl, 58hp, Geo Metro xD
    But, You seem like you know what you are doing and as long as insurance doesn’t destroy you I would say go for it!
    But like everyone else said make sure you stay careful because it is terrible reading about the people who just want to show off then end up losing their and possibly someone else’s life.
    Whichever way it goes best of luck!! (:
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    If you have the vin # of the vehicle you can actually check with your insurance company how much it will be. Don't go off make and model because they will always tell you a lower number. Insurance will probably be killer for any 16 year old not driving a prius or older vehicle but it may not be as bad as you think. I would definetely buy it because your only in highschool once and driving a nice car is always a plus, plus the fact your working and can pay it off before college. People told me not to buy my current STi because of every factor but it puts a smile on my face every day and compliments from people. Just be careful seen too many people ruin great cars trying to look cool. Best of luck.
    Hey man! Thanks for the heads up! we talked to our provider and they said we can put it under one of my parents name and the price per month for insurance would drop a ton so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamouszoltan View Post
    You seem like you have your head on right kid!
    My first car was a 3cyl, 58hp, Geo Metro xD
    But, You seem like you know what you are doing and as long as insurance doesn’t destroy you I would say go for it!
    But like everyone else said make sure you stay careful because it is terrible reading about the people who just want to show off then end up losing their and possibly someone else’s life.
    Whichever way it goes best of luck!! (:
    Thanks for the tips! I have absolutely no reason to speed though haha I just want a nice car to begin
    I've also took defensive driving classes and those helped alot, i've been driving auto for almost a year now and nothing's happened but i know manual is alot harder and i need to be extra cautious.
    Thanks!

Is it a good idea? well frankly. NO. but heres why

1. although I am sure you think you're a great driver and super careful.(we all did when we were 16 and I am not saying you're not) the fact is you have very limited, if any real driving experience. and jumping behind the wheel of a fast turbocharged car is the last thing a 16 year old needs. I remember being 16.
    I remember telling my parents I would be super careful and super safe in my new to me '85 300zx Turbo. I also remember doing donuts and burnouts and drag races in it. I remember seeing how fast it could go, modifying it and seeing if it felt/sounded/looked/was faster. looking back I should not have been behind the wheel of that car at 16 and 17 years old. I am surprised I'm not dead

2. you shouldn't be in debt at your age. technically you shouldn't be in debt at all. ever. but esp at your age

3. you talk about payments. you cant get legally financed for anything at 16 unless you are A. an emancipated minor, and or B. have a co-signer with strong credit. if you have never had a loan or any type of credit in your name you're a what banks and creditors refer to as a "ghost" meaning when they pull your credit report it comes back blank. you wont get financed without a co-signer with strong credit in that case. and if you do it will be some obnoxious rate that you are to young to know is way to high to pay.

4. have you talked to your parents about this? are they ok with you having this type of car? are they going to loan you the money or co-sign you the loan? do you realize how high you're insurance is really going to be at your age with this car? hell it can be high for most of us here in our 30's and 40's lol

5. I think you should start out with something a little less extreme. esp until you get a few years of real driving experience under your belt. doesn't mean it cant be cool. you can still get a fun manual car to have in high school and tinker with it and learn the ropes of driving and modding cars.

just my 0.02c man. you don't have to listen to me. but I was in your shoes a long time ago and I wish someone would have told me to buy a cheap beater for high school.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

mrd
    Be careful with all this power under your control. Again I'm going to sound too old, and I'm still teenager in my 49th.
    1) First of all whatever you buy you will be able to mod, and make it better. I had yugo 45HPand added Weber dual carburetor on it. Car was a beast. At that time I believed that nothing could happen to me and luckily I survived my stupidity. It was fun car to drive.
    2) To control all this power you have to have a lot of miles behind. I'm telling you the same things I told my son who is now learning to drive and hoping to get his driving licence at end of this year. He'll get to drive our cars, after we have him drive 10,000 miles with us and then I'll be content that he knows to handle car at some basic level.
    3) In my opinion young people should have only two or one-seat car as this will limit peer pressure they would be exposed. Trust your self, but be aware that your peers will likely push you over your limits. That's an ugly truth.
    4) Believe in your self, but know that there are many people who don't know how to drive and you as a driver have to be able to handle them not knowing what they do.
    Good luck and drive safe.
    5) Best way to save on insurance is to buy some trashy car and register your self on it. You can always borrow/use your parents car, but instead of paying expensive insurance rate save this money.

edit:
    spelling checker
    Last edited by mrd; 08-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.