New to me 02 Wrx. Turbo question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to me 02 Wrx. Turbo question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone I recently bought an 02 wrx that is going to need rebuilt and a lot of TLC. In ...

New to me 02 Wrx. Turbo question

Hi everyone I recently bought an 02 wrx that is going to need rebuilt and a lot of TLC. In the process of figuring out what it needs and I believe that it has an aftermarket turbo. Im trying to determine what the turbo is. On the turbo itself it has Model: Td06-20GHW engraved onto the turbo. It also has Serial NO: TBO1307015. My question is what brand turbo is this? How can I determine that? I tried to google the serial number with no results, and the other part is just telling me that it is a 20g. Any help is appreciated it! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Can you get a good pic of it?

Regardless, that is not the turbo I'd use even if it is a good one. I would bet however it is ebay junk. It is too big IMO for a reasonable 2.0 build that is drivable and won't pop your trans.

Blouch TD05H-16GXT 7cm^2 Turbo Billet Wheel Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / 2004-2015 STI) TD05H-16GXT at RallySportDirect.com
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Kind of hard to get a pic of the whole turbo right now so ill have to get a better one. This is the engraving:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps4e25f9nm.jpg

Everyone seems to think it is just a cheap ebay turbo. Just looking to verify before i start searching for a different one. Thanks

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That would be my best guess.

The point is that a proper build for a 20g costs more than replacing that turbo, buy 10x. Start with an STi transmission and go from there if you want to run a good 20g build. I don't think I would really enjoy the end result personally for being laggy day to day. The turbo I linked is on the high end of what is practicable without major work.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    All of the worthwhile 20gs I know of will have the brand name engraved (or cast) into them. If it doesn't clearly have the brand name, I'd say chances are about 98% that it's an eBay knock off generic Chinese junk turbo.

In fact, I can only think of three non-knock off brands that still make decent 20g turbos for Subaru fitment. If it doesn't look virtually identical to one of these, I'd say safe bet it's a knock off.

Blouch

Tomioka

Kinugawa

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    All of the worthwhile 20gs I know of will have the brand name engraved (or cast) into them. If it doesn't clearly have the brand name, I'd say chances are about 98% that it's an eBay knock off generic Chinese junk turbo.

In fact, I can only think of three non-knock off brands that still make decent 20g turbos for Subaru fitment. If it doesn't look virtually identical to one of these, I'd say safe bet it's a knock off.

Blouch

Tomioka

Kinugawa
    No experience with 20Gs, but my Blouch 18G does not have "Blouch" on the housing at all. However, I had Blouch confirm that this indeed was a Blouch turbo.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No experience with 20Gs, but my Blouch 18G does not have "Blouch" on the housing at all. However, I had Blouch confirm that this indeed was a Blouch turbo.

Yeah, that's the hard part.. some of the older turbos might not have the same identifying markers. I can't remember if FP ever made a 20g, but I know they made mostly generic looking 16gs. I seem to recall that Deadbolt used to make 20gs as well.. probably generic looking also. BUT I would think a google of the serial number would come up with something, at least if it were a FP or BPT.

Thanks for the help everyone, maybe there will be more identifying marks on it when i take it off.

Sti tbo td05-20ghw turbocharger according to this guy TBO is an ebay brand.

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...-turbo-review/ also this is probably what you have. see the last picture in his review it looks like the tag you have on yours.
    Last edited by Jbravo_AK; 08-11-2014 at 06:17 PM.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.