New to the forums!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the forums! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! New to forums so thought I would make my first post here. Here a little background on me! ...

New to the forums!

Hey everyone!

New to forums so thought I would make my first post here. Here a little background on me! Im almost 18, and saving for a 15/16 WRX. All going well in about 8-10months I will have enough saved to pay cash for one.......

So that being said, I have barely ever driven a manual (you guys call it stick shift?). I tried a friends a few times but its not the same doing it everyday. I know that I will pick it up quickly, as I ride a lot of manual quads etc so its not a completely new concept, but then again a 260hp car is a little different eh? I have been wondering if I should buy a cheap manual vehicle (no idea what) in the mean time to come familiar, or do you think that is unnecessary?

Anyway, looks like this is a busy forum, I look forward to reading some of the posts.

Cheers!
    -NJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wtf u selling ganja or wut?

LOLOL!

Na, I graduated high school earlier this year and I have done a lot of work with computers last few years, so instead of college, I got a job as an IT support. And since I am still living with the parents I am probably saving faster than I ever will for the rest of my life. lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Welcome! How did you do with those times you drove your friends' manual cars?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to ClubWRX!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Welcome! Unless you find find a beater that's dirt cheap, I would just keep asking around to friends and family to see who can help you practice. It should only take you a few days to get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome! How did you do with those times you drove your friends' manual cars?
    Not too bad, choppy because of lack of experience. Never driven a "powerful" manual, one was a VW jetta and one was an older manual pickup. I know someone selling a geo metro stick, he would probably take $500 for it lol!

Thanks guys!

I would recommend buying a beater and just driving it around for at least alittle bit to get used to manual (unless you can just borrow one of your buddies for alittle while). or you can always buy the car and goto an empty parking lot and learn how to start and stop then work from there. how much are you thinking of putting down on your car?
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

Also something to keep in mind I live in ND, and during winters we can get crappy crappy roads (as in ice, packed down snow etc). That is why I am looking at a Subaru in the first place, the AWD. So how is driving a manual in bad conditions compared to driving an auto? Bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by NJboneless View Post
    Also something to keep in mind I live in ND, and during winters we can get crappy crappy roads (as in ice, packed down snow etc). That is why I am looking at a Subaru in the first place, the AWD. So how is driving a manual in bad conditions compared to driving an auto? Bad idea?
    Super easy actually. these are some of the best cars for ice and snow if you have the right tires. I live in alaska trust me i get some of the worst and coldest weather known to man and driving my sti with blizzaks is like driving on dry pavement literally.
    2013 Subaru STI

Wow thats great to hear. Really appreciate the feedback!

My goal is just to learn a bit more about these cars, and become familiar with them. I think it would almost be a crime to buy a WRX without knowing anything about it lol.

I dont want to be someone who "buys" their car (in their head) a year before they actually buy it, but hey the more I can learn the better!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    how much are you thinking of putting down on your car?
    That depends, but my goal (keyword GOAL lol) is to save 25k before buying one, that way I will only have a very minimal amount of payments to make. And Im sure by next year the new 15s will be a bit less in demand, might pick up a used with low miles limited or premium for the 26-28k range? Cant go base, no heated seats LOL!

that sounds like a ridiculous down payment but if you can do that more power to you. I personally would buy new if you can save 25,000 it would only make sense. Then you know for sure the person before you wasn't constantly launching it or modified it. Plus you get to pick your color/options and interest rates on used vehicles are almost always higher. I only threw 10,000 down on my Sti and my payments arent that bad (400).
    2013 Subaru STI

mrd
    IMO, you would be better of if you invest this $25k and purchase with $0 down instead. Toooo much money down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.