New to the forums! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to the forums! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well thats not exactly what I was thinking, from what I have read the wtg is buy the car and ...

Well thats not exactly what I was thinking, from what I have read the wtg is buy the car and take out a loan like you normally would, but then write a check and pay it off (or most of it, whatever) immediately. That way you get any benefits or deals from taking the loan but no payments?

Just one last thing I want to clear up is I am not some stinking rich teenager, I am working really hard right now to save and just happen to be saving relatively quickly. No ganja involved either lol!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes you would want to take out the loan with the lowest interest rate possible to get the credit for it. because im guessing at 18 years old that you don't have that good of credit if any so they will most likely require you to throw a large amount of your loan down and finance the rest(possibly have a cosigned since you have no credit). its not that your a teenager its more that your wanting to throw down 25$ on your car. General rule is you should try and do 25% of the vehicles worth but different situations vary. You will need to shop around for the lowest interest rate do not take the dealers first offer unless there is some amazing incentive.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

i was assuming from your sig and username that you were from New Jersey, but later indicated you are from North Dakota.. which is it?!?

my $.02 from what i've read so far.. buy a decent used NON-TURBO Subaru. $5k will get you a nice car to mess around with while you're still learning. i don't think learning to drive a MT in a WRX is any different than any other car for basic, daily driving situations. clutch/gas find friction point, shift roughly every 10 MPH.. good to go. a WRX, a Geo Metro, and a 1000HP 'Vette are pretty much the same to get rolling, and rowing through gears. its the more advanced things that really come into play.. heel-toe, double clutching, etc..
    take the remaining $20k and stick it in a basic CD. it doesn't earn much, but its easy to get out with no penalties. Add to it 'till your 21st birthday and buy yourself a nice gift.

oh, and also, i wasn't sure if you knew the '15s have an available CVT

Welcome to the club!

-Rich D

mrd
    If you save that fast you will be okay. Things don't have to happen yesterday. Be patient and save. In a year or two you will laugh to things you wanted. $25k is a lot of money to kill in one car that lays on the street and anybody could crash into it. Trust me. Been there done that.
    Good luck.

First, NJ doesnt stand for New Jersey, I am a true North Dakotan :P

Heres the deal. I drive a lot, whether its in my current car, my parents, or work vehicles. I do alot of driving almost every day because of my job. The company I work for has multiple locations all more than an hour apart and since Im IT support that results in a lot of driving (work vehicles). So although getting a personal, cheaper older vehicle is an option, I do alot of driving, probably more than most people my age, but more important, I enjoy it.

So for me its no a matter of buying a "fast turbo WRX to show off to all my friends and race down main street", but more of a vehicle that fits my needs (very well actually), while still being practical, fun (with the manual trans), and great resale value down the road. Also, I have no problem with the older WRXs, like the 10s to 14s, but so many are modded I would only buy a completely stock one, and with the new design of the 15 with the 6 speed for better mpg etc I figured I would shoot for one of them. Getting one a few years old isnt out of the equation.

After reading your guys replies though, I think it seems to be a wise decision to buy an older "junker" with a manual trans and learn on that before dropping 30K on a new car.....infact thats almost a no brainer.....

But yes at the end of the day, I do agree, however you look at it, its a lot to put in a car....

mrd
    I knew I am going to sound too old. Don't worry you are doing great. Money comes and goes. Enjoy.

No not at all, I appreciate your input.

If you wanna spend the money and learn in the car you've been wanting go for it. You don't NEED to buy a junker and learn. You can always take your car right after you get it into a parking lot and learn from driving(I did this when i was younger)its the best way to learn vs someone telling you how it works. It didn't take me anytime at'll to learn, sure you will stall acouple times but everyone stalls when they first start driving manual(unless your heavy on the gas and clutch). So if you wanna buy the car, buy the car, if not save and imagine the kind of car you can get after 2-3 years.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

Dont wanna be too heavy on the gas and clutch pulling out of the dealer eh? That has to have happened before with bad results.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.