High milage 2009 wrx?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on High milage 2009 wrx? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, i just joined this forum. Ive been here a couple of times but just created an account to ...

High milage 2009 wrx?

Hello everyone, i just joined this forum. Ive been here a couple of times but just created an account to ask this question. I do apologize if i posted in the wrong place.
    I am hoping to one day own a wrx, i am 18 working and going to college. i bring home about $500-$700 a month.. part time worker.. ANYWAYS
    i found this 2009 wrx on auto trader at a dealership in houston (i am from san antonio) the car is about $12,000. Only problem is it has about 127,000 miles.. i was just wondering what are your thoughts and suggestions on this deal?
    Thank you in advanced!!!
    -Luis

Here is the link for better refrence.
    Cars for Sale: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Houston, TX 77099: Sedan Details - 377718168 - AutoTrader.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't have suggestions about the car, but I'd like to comment about finances. If you bought something that expensive, could you buy it outright? Would you have to finance it and make payments? I suspect that if you have to make payments that they would eat up all of your discretionary income each month. A car is a nice thing to have, but money is probably better since you can have fun with friends and buy food and stuff.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I would definitely think about how you would like to pay for this car. I think it looks lowered too...

Best thing to do...invest a small amount...and take a trip to the dealer...have a look...under the hood..underneath the car...look at the suspension and get an idea of how modded it is. Personally...I wouldn't buy a used car with too many mods or skid plates. Who knows what its uses were before being traded there at the dealer.

The only way to be sure about anything at all...is to check and drive. I have bought a lot of used cars...successfully...but I consider myself diligent and OCD. I also sold used cars for a couple years and I am a nightmare customer for any salesperson as I have intricate knowledge of used car business here in BC, Canada.

When I clicked the link...I saw my own car before my eyes. I bought a used 2009 Sedan WRX in 2012. I have always bought used cars. You gotta haggle over price. Be totally unreasonable and see where you end up. I took three trips to the same dealer for the same car...two test drives..they even tried to tell me somebody else was interested...bblah blah....and it was still there a couple days later...and that's when I got the upper hand. NEVER buy a used car the very first time you see it! EVER!

Don't let dealers push you around.
    2009 WRX Sedan running on TOYO Observe G-02 Plus 205/50-17 (snowy)
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 91 LWG - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - Perrin Transmission Mount - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by luisthekid View Post
    Hello everyone, i just joined this forum. Ive been here a couple of times but just created an account to ask this question. I do apologize if i posted in the wrong place.
    I am hoping to one day own a wrx, i am 18 working and going to college. i bring home about $500-$700 a month.. part time worker.. ANYWAYS
    i found this 2009 wrx on auto trader at a dealership in houston (i am from san antonio) the car is about $12,000. Only problem is it has about 127,000 miles.. i was just wondering what are your thoughts and suggestions on this deal?
    Thank you in advanced!!!
    -Luis

Here is the link for better refrence.
    Cars for Sale: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Houston, TX 77099: Sedan Details - 377718168 - AutoTrader.com
    You gotta be careful with high mileage. Ask them who owned the vehicle was that person first or second owner. See if there a story behind mileage like it's all highway street? In my own experience you really have to look these cars over. Like paint that doesn't match underneath or in hood or door jams. Do all the body panels line up? What does the tread wear look like even or scalloped tires match or not. What does engine compartment look like? A big mess? Or well maintained. Check visible gaskets in engine. This is good info for buying used.

Another option is to go to a Subaru dealer and see what they have for fresh trades. They will wheel and deal on older ones cause everybody wants the2015. Point faults of vehicle out to salesman they hate that. Keep going back they will need to fill a quota sooner or later, sometimes they even take a loss to move units. Blammos advice is very sound I have been in sales for 10 years it's a game like poker never tell dealer what you can spend tell them what you want to spend. Be real laid back talking to dealer. You don't NEED the car but you are interested. 12,000 is high for that kind of mileage sometimes it takes awhile to find what you are looking for. I bought an 04 at my local Subaru dealer with 19,800 miles in 2010 for 13,000 I sold it back to same dealer when I got my 2013 WRX new I made them give me 9,000 and a short shift and bushing and plastic coat for front. My 04 had 31,500 when I sold it. I still see it around its funny. My point keep shopping, some of the guys here might be able to help you out.

I looked at car good shape check out those things I suggested, then low ball them. They want 12,000 offer 8,000 see what his boss says. It can't hurt.
    Last edited by TownLine500; 08-02-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

The thing about 09 is when they first came out along with the 08 the were spinning bearings and wasn't mileage restricted. Could be straight off the lot or never and be a ticking time bomb. Clutch spot welds under the wiper motors break. And the timing belt and water pump should have hopefully been done. Even though kbb might say it's worth 12k I would not take it anything over 9 or 10
    On top of it being a rex, previously owner, chances are it's been modded and abused
    Stinkeye member 520

First of all i wanna say, woah.. didnt expect people to actually reply. Thanks alot everyone!!
    About the car.. on autotrader there are carfax and it says that this used to be a corporate vehicle so that might explain all the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I don't have suggestions about the car, but I'd like to comment about finances. If you bought something that expensive, could you buy it outright? Would you have to finance it and make payments? I suspect that if you have to make payments that they would eat up all of your discretionary income each month. A car is a nice thing to have, but money is probably better since you can have fun with friends and buy food and stuff.
    Yes i would for sure finance the vehicle, i currently have a focus that is our family car, insurance would be under my father since i am not over 25 yet, he's told me insurance would eat me up. I also have a girlfriend, and she is expensive lol, but i would definitely make payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    I would definitely think about how you would like to pay for this car. I think it looks lowered too...

Best thing to do...invest a small amount...and take a trip to the dealer...have a look...under the hood..underneath the car...look at the suspension and get an idea of how modded it is. Personally...I wouldn't buy a used car with too many mods or skid plates. Who knows what its uses were before being traded there at the dealer.

The only way to be sure about anything at all...is to check and drive. I have bought a lot of used cars...successfully...but I consider myself diligent and OCD. I also sold used cars for a couple years and I am a nightmare customer for any salesperson as I have intricate knowledge of used car business here in BC, Canada.

When I clicked the link...I saw my own car before my eyes. I bought a used 2009 Sedan WRX in 2012. I have always bought used cars. You gotta haggle over price. Be totally unreasonable and see where you end up. I took three trips to the same dealer for the same car...two test drives..they even tried to tell me somebody else was interested...bblah blah....and it was still there a couple days later...and that's when I got the upper hand. NEVER buy a used car the very first time you see it! EVER!

Don't let dealers push you around.
    Wish you lived closer so you could come with me to the dealer haha! For sure i will have to keep pushing and pushing about the price, ive tried emailing the dealer about the miles, but im gonna have to call and maybe visit soon. Thanks for the tips on being a customer!

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    You gotta be careful with high mileage. Ask them who owned the vehicle was that person first or second owner. See if there a story behind mileage like it's all highway street? In my own experience you really have to look these cars over. Like paint that doesn't match underneath or in hood or door jams. Do all the body panels line up? What does the tread wear look like even or scalloped tires match or not. What does engine compartment look like? A big mess? Or well maintained. Check visible gaskets in engine. This is good info for buying used.

Another option is to go to a Subaru dealer and see what they have for fresh trades. They will wheel and deal on older ones cause everybody wants the2015. Point faults of vehicle out to salesman they hate that. Keep going back they will need to fill a quota sooner or later, sometimes they even take a loss to move units. Blammos advice is very sound I have been in sales for 10 years it's a game like poker never tell dealer what you can spend tell them what you want to spend. Be real laid back talking to dealer. You don't NEED the car but you are interested. 12,000 is high for that kind of mileage sometimes it takes awhile to find what you are looking for. I bought an 04 at my local Subaru dealer with 19,800 miles in 2010 for 13,000 I sold it back to same dealer when I got my 2013 WRX new I made them give me 9,000 and a short shift and bushing and plastic coat for front. My 04 had 31,500 when I sold it. I still see it around its funny. My point keep shopping, some of the guys here might be able to help you out.

I looked at car good shape check out those things I suggested, then low ball them. They want 12,000 offer 8,000 see what his boss says. It can't hurt.
    I looked at the carfax and it was a corporate car, it was in a minor accident according to the carfax as well but no major damages reported. I understand what you mean as far as keep searching i was interested in a mazdaspeed 3 but something about the WRX just clicks with me, when i see one it's just hard to explain i really like the car! hahaha, but when i was searching for a speed3 only found 2 but like 5-7 wrx, and 2-3 sti's. I will give them a call and maybe schedule a trip down there and then low ball to the 8k!

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    The thing about 09 is when they first came out along with the 08 the were spinning bearings and wasn't mileage restricted. Could be straight off the lot or never and be a ticking time bomb. Clutch spot welds under the wiper motors break. And the timing belt and water pump should have hopefully been done. Even though kbb might say it's worth 12k I would not take it anything over 9 or 10
    On top of it being a rex, previously owner, chances are it's been modded and abused
    I did not know any of this! i do know the 2008 to 2009 has a pretty big horsepower gap though but that's about it haha!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by luisthekid View Post
    I looked at the carfax and it was a corporate car, it was in a minor accident according to the carfax as well but no major damages reported. I understand what you mean as far as keep searching i was interested in a mazdaspeed 3 but something about the WRX just clicks with me, when i see one it's just hard to explain i really like the car! hahaha, but when i was searching for a speed3 only found 2 but like 5-7 wrx, and 2-3 sti's. I will give them a call and maybe schedule a trip down there and then low ball to the 8k!
    Do not pay any more than $9,000. I still think you should shop around a little. I have bought 4 Subaru's in the las 5 years. If they will take $8000 great but if your gonna make payments you can do better, and yes insurance will kick your ass. I'm 33 perfect record they still screw me. Where in Texas are you? And before you decide go to the Subaru dealer and see what's been traded. You could get a better deal for a WRX there than anywhere else. Dealers get rid of most trades wholesale. You could really go to work on them. You say I know your gonna wholesale this, so here's you chance to make a few bucks. The other thing no matter where you go have your phone or iPad on several competitor websites. They hart that too. But you want to make reference to other dealers prices. This is all just a suggestion, but I ca say I have a lot of experience buying cars. Don't be a stranger! Pm me if you have questions.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

Do not pay any more than $9,000. I still think you should shop around a little. I have bought 4 Subaru's in the las 5 years. If they will take $8000 great but if your gonna make payments you can do better, and yes insurance will kick your ass. I'm 33 perfect record they still screw me. Where in Texas are you? And before you decide go to the Subaru dealer and see what's been traded. You could get a better deal for a WRX there than anywhere else. Dealers get rid of most trades wholesale. You could really go to work on them. You say I know your gonna wholesale this, so here's you chance to make a few bucks. The other thing no matter where you go have your phone or iPad on several competitor websites. They hart that too. But you want to make reference to other dealers prices. This is all just a suggestion, but I ca say I have a lot of experience buying cars. Don't be a stranger! Pm me if you have questions.
    Yes i dont think this is the car i will purchase, that is an ridiculous amount of miles in the car for an 09, when dealers get trades i assume they don't put them on their website? there is a subaru dealership here in san antonio, might give them a visit sometime soon. Taking my phone or ipad, and showing them other used cars? like on cars.com, autotrade, etc. ?? i will def pm you man! thanks for all your help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes bring your Ipad have a couple cars roughly in your price range. Even have 1 or 2 non Subaru's. The reason being you don't want them to know your clamoring to get a WRX. After he shows you a couple then settle on Subaru. When he goes to get keys or talk to boss start narrowing down the search on iPad even if the places are a distance. When you find one compare it to the web get idea of the price. Don't let them push or fast talk you pay very close attention to interest rates as they can vary a lot. Try like heck no to get excited play it cool. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and welcome to the club!!
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

Yes bring your Ipad have a couple cars roughly in your price range. Even have 1 or 2 non Subaru's. The reason being you don't want them to know your clamoring to get a WRX. After he shows you a couple then settle on Subaru. When he goes to get keys or talk to boss start narrowing down the search on iPad even if the places are a distance. When you find one compare it to the web get idea of the price. Don't let them push or fast talk you pay very close attention to interest rates as they can vary a lot. Try like heck no to get excited play it cool. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and welcome to the club!!
    Will definitely shop around more, i will also pay a visit to my local dealer, the subaru dealership here in san antonio i dont think has any old wrx, but thanks alot for your help. Cant wait to one day show you my wrx (:

Ummm I have a different suggestion, don't buy a WRX as a college car. I was in the same boat as you, in hindsight, that Mazda 3 GT I found was probably the better choice.

I financed a 100% stock, high mileage(109k) WRX in college as well to replace my dying Civic. I was making $1000+ a month living at home and was still barely able to afford it. Insurance was expensive, about twice what it had cost my old Civic.
    Gas is expensive, 91+ octane only and I only managed 22MPG on a good day, so about 270 miles a tank(stage 1)
    I know cost of living is cheaper in San Antonio vs Orange County, but still. You gotta take all that into consideration.
    Now on to having a girlfriend, mine got tired of eating cheap real quick so I could afford my WRX. But the a tinted wagon/hatchback is a great shag-mobile ;-)

Flash forward to 3 months ago. My engine is at 172k(I drive ALOT) and burns a valve. Rebuild engine $4.7K. **** me, debt all over again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.