High milage 2009 wrx? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on High milage 2009 wrx? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by UEDan Ummm I have a different suggestion, don't buy a WRX as a college car . I ...

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Ummm I have a different suggestion, don't buy a WRX as a college car. I was in the same boat as you, in hindsight, that Mazda 3 GT I found was probably the better choice.

I financed a 100% stock, high mileage(109k) WRX in college as well to replace my dying Civic. I was making $1000+ a month living at home and was still barely able to afford it. Insurance was expensive, about twice what it had cost my old Civic.
    Gas is expensive, 91+ octane only and I only managed 22MPG on a good day, so about 270 miles a tank(stage 1)
    I know cost of living is cheaper in San Antonio vs Orange County, but still. You gotta take all that into consideration.
    Now on to having a girlfriend, mine got tired of eating cheap real quick so I could afford my WRX. But the a tinted wagon/hatchback is a great shag-mobile ;-)

Flash forward to 3 months ago. My engine is at 172k(I drive ALOT) and burns a valve. Rebuild engine $4.7K. **** me, debt all over again.
    Thanks for the input, I'm living with my parents and i go to school here in town. I dont wanna spend more than 15k if i have to on a vehicle, im just tired of our family focus sedan lol, i really would like a wrx and feel that if i really try i could pull this off. Keep in mind insurance would be under my father's name so it wont be as expensive as if it was under mine. LMAO at the girlfriend thing haha, but thanks alot for the input (:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep, same here. My insurance was under my mom's aswell. Both spotless records. Liability only coverange was a little over $100/month.

Hey man, I get you. Although its no as bad as a Focus(sorry) my first car was a boring, automatic with a weird smell. But it got me from A to B.

EVERYONE was against me getting a WRX, the girlfriend almost 3 years later still jokingly gives me crap for buying it. Hell she did it earlier today!

At that income, you will be working hard to keep it. But it's certainly doable depending on how much you put down. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Yep, same here. My insurance was under my mom's aswell. Both spotless records. Liability only coverange was a little over $100/month.

Hey man, I get you. Although its no as bad as a Focus(sorry) my first car was a boring, automatic with a weird smell. But it got me from A to B.

EVERYONE was against me getting a WRX, the girlfriend almost 3 years later still jokingly gives me crap for buying it. Hell she did it earlier today!

At that income, you will be working hard to keep it. But it's certainly doable depending on how much you put down. Good luck.
    Its manageable, i just got a raise at work. I work fot best buy geek squad lol. i feel it is possible. Im currently looking at an 02. Dealership wants 8k but im gonna try and offer 5k. And im curious to know what your gf said hahah

there is a problem. owning a wrx will disqualify you from the geek squad. its too cool.

jk. if you are looking at a 02 - 04 take pics and ask questions like last timing belt/ waterpump change. did they replace the idler pulleys(that almost cost me a motor.) any previous/current mods?

after buying my 02 for 9k and 132,000 miles, i was tightening up radiator and fuel lines just after leaving the dealer with signed papers. i was on the club probably not more than a week later with questions. would i trade it back in?? heck no. but i am glad the dealership is 7 hours away. i cant just drive over and chew on them. and im not gonna do that over the phone lol....'that guy'. but i never had any real, big claims against the dealer that i had to call them for and knew what i was getting in to as well so its partially my fault for not checking it over as well as i should have. the dealer did the belt pump and head gaskets for me and i was driving a high milage wrx so i kinda knew i was in for it hahaha.

ooh, i have a friend with a MS3 hatch and he loves the heck out of it. nice looking car inside and out. aahh 2012 or 13 i think. says its fun to peel out with at stoplights with. lol, fwd.
    Last edited by tirerob; 08-03-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    there is a problem. owning a wrx will disqualify you from the geek squad. its too cool.

jk. if you are looking at a 02 - 04 take pics and ask questions like last timing belt/ waterpump change. did they replace the idler pulleys(that almost cost me a motor.) any previous/current mods?

after buying my 02 for 9k and 132,000 miles, i was tightening up radiator and fuel lines just after leaving the dealer with signed papers. i was on the club probably not more than a week later with questions. would i trade it back in?? heck no. but i am glad the dealership is 7 hours away. i cant just drive over and chew on them. and im not gonna do that over the phone lol....'that guy'. but i never had any real, big claims against the dealer that i had to call them for and knew what i was getting in to as well so its partially my fault for not checking it over as well as i should have. the dealer did the belt pump and head gaskets for me and i was driving a high milage wrx so i kinda knew i was in for it hahaha.

ooh, i have a friend with a MS3 hatch and he loves the heck out of it. nice looking car inside and out. aahh 2012 or 13 i think. says its fun to peel out with at stoplights with. lol, fwd.
    Yeah one of my buddys has a 2011 ms3, its very nice.
    2 of my managers have stis!!! Lol!
    Will do more research on idler pulleys. Hopefully i can pay the dealership a visit on Wednesday, will definitely be asking alot of questions and hopefully they can bring the price down to atleast 6k, i can for sure pay off 6k.
    You own a 02? And if so do you still own it?

Quote Originally Posted by luisthekid View Post
    Yeah one of my buddys has a 2011 ms3, its very nice.
    2 of my managers have stis!!! Lol!
    Will do more research on idler pulleys. Hopefully i can pay the dealership a visit on Wednesday, will definitely be asking alot of questions and hopefully they can bring the price down to atleast 6k, i can for sure pay off 6k.
    You own a 02? And if so do you still own it?
    i bought my car 2 years ago and have put over 22,000 miles on it. oh yeah its not going anywhere. i live in some of montana's nastiest winter weather for cold/ snow/ wind so replacing my camaro of 17 years for the wrx was a no brainer. do i wish i could have afforded a newer one? sure! but at the time this one made more sense money wise and despite all the wrenching ive done im not selling any time soon.

heres the problem with the idler pulley pulley replacement kit. cost. list price(not what i paid...)was over 800 bucks. add that to a new waterpump when doing the timing belt and that gets tacked right to the cost of the vehicle. thats why they didnt do it to mine when they did the head gaskets and the belt/ waterpump. heres what happened mot a few months later

now dont let that scare you from a sale. use it as a sales tactic. want 9500? i want this and this and this. lol. used=as is right? but the car your looking at is 7 years newer than mine. even with close to the same mielage i doubt your pulley bearings are any where as bad as mine were. two other pulleys were bad on disassemble. id bet age had just as much to do with it as mileage. and its cool you have people to talk to at work. .....might even be club members haha. you guys are going to get in trouble talking subie at work hahahhah.

oh btw, my onstar FMV was installed by geek squad members and ive never had a problem. they did great work! i just wish they wernt so darn far away But montana haha. nothing like a two hour drive for groceries!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    i bought my car 2 years ago and have put over 22,000 miles on it. oh yeah its not going anywhere. i live in some of montana's nastiest winter weather for cold/ snow/ wind so replacing my camaro of 17 years for the wrx was a no brainer. do i wish i could have afforded a newer one? sure! but at the time this one made more sense money wise and despite all the wrenching ive done im not selling any time soon.

heres the problem with the idler pulley pulley replacement kit. cost. list price(not what i paid...)was over 800 bucks. add that to a new waterpump when doing the timing belt and that gets tacked right to the cost of the vehicle. thats why they didnt do it to mine when they did the head gaskets and the belt/ waterpump. heres what happened mot a few months later

now dont let that scare you from a sale. use it as a sales tactic. want 9500? i want this and this and this. lol. used=as is right? but the car your looking at is 7 years newer than mine. even with close to the same mielage i doubt your pulley bearings are any where as bad as mine were. two other pulleys were bad on disassemble. id bet age had just as much to do with it as mileage. and its cool you have people to talk to at work. .....might even be club members haha. you guys are going to get in trouble talking subie at work hahahhah.

oh btw, my onstar FMV was installed by geek squad members and ive never had a problem. they did great work! i just wish they wernt so darn far away But montana haha. nothing like a two hour drive for groceries!
    I found a 2002 wrx here in town, i will mention the water pump, timing belt, and pulleys. I will also take pictures when i go see it. It has 137k miles, the dealership wants 8k for it.
    We already do get in trouble for it! Haha
    An 02 sounds more reasonable ive been doing research and just looking at videos and the bugeye is starting to get to me, wasnt my favorite wrx but im starting to like it (:

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I really liked the bug eye and the blob eye. I do kinda miss that body style, but I also love my 2013 GR body. The only thing I don't like about mine is the body roll. I'm getting swaybars front and rear, to cut some of the roll.
    I definitely have a soft spot for the 02-05.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.