Think I'm finally going stage 2
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Think I'm finally going stage 2 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So now that I have another car in my possession. I finally feel comfortable doing a couple mods to my ...

Think I'm finally going stage 2

So now that I have another car in my possession. I finally feel comfortable doing a couple mods to my wrx. My plan is to get an invidia catted dp and possibly an aem intake. I might not do the intake tho because idk how loud it is. My friends Cobb sf is way to loud for my liking but I've read the aem is alot more quiet. Although is Cobb sounds badass
    I'm going to be getting a protune at efi.

Anyone know if the Cobb accessports guages are accurate or am I better off gettin an a/f gauge too? I already have a spt boost gauge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sometimes tuners recommends for a/f gauge when adding a dp and especially when protuning but not required. I have an aem a/f gauge and was pretty easy to Install. I got the dp with extra o2 bung
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Yea I guess I'll have to call and ask them. I guess it can't hurt getting an a:f gauge and oil temp

I Support ClubWRX
    The cobb unit does not read A/F as accurately as a true wideband 02 sensor. If you want to monitor air/fuel then you should get a wideband 02 sensor (AEM makes a quality unit). My cobb doesn't go below 11.1 a/f. When I watch from the COBB to the wb02 sensor it seems reasonably close, but I wouldn't rely on it. Plus, the COBB unit is reading off the stock 02 sensor, which on my car is located behind the cat converter on my down pipe (whereas the uego sensor is pre-cat).

If you are just thinking wb02 for the tune, then you don't need it. They can use their own set up.

Yea ill just have to get in contact with them and ask. My buddy has a tune with them and he sends them datalogs every now and then to see how his car is running and they're always quick to reply and look at them.

Any info on the aem intake? I don't want the intake noise to get to annoying while driving to work everyday at 6am

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    Any info on the aem intake? I don't want the intake noise to get to annoying while driving to work everyday at 6am
    I have a cold air intake (not AEM, but Perrin - I would assume they are very similar sounding). You definitely get a louder whooshing sound. You get used to it after a while though and I don't even notice it anymore to be honest.

Yea I wanna hear it sucking in and all that. But I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the Cobb sf. My buddies is way to loud. Maybe kn drop in filter? I've read about it gunking up the maf sensor but idk I do see people running them.
    I'm sure that's the sound I would want a nice subtle sucking and whoosh that would be barely noticeable

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    Yea I wanna hear it sucking in and all that. But I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the Cobb sf. My buddies is way to loud. Maybe kn drop in filter? I've read about it gunking up the maf sensor but idk I do see people running them.
    I'm sure that's the sound I would want a nice subtle sucking and whoosh that would be barely noticeable

Does your buddy with the Cobb AF have the airbox to? I just installed Cobb airbox it made it a little quieter not much. But intake is way more efficient because of stock snorkel going into airbox. You probably thought of this already but where you have Cobb AP make sure Protuner can build map for it. AP gauges are ok but not super accurate, I'm going to add AEM boost gauge and A/F wideband sensor and gauge.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Yea he has the airbox too. Maybe ill just save my money and just get a downpipe and tune

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Intakes are not known for adding much in the way of power, as the stock unit flows well up to stage 2 power levels. I'd ask your tuner how much of a difference he thinks it will make, and you should decide if the few additional ponies are worth it. Past stage 2 they become more necessary as the air flow needs increase.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Yea I'm mainly doing it to hear the turbo a lil better. But I doubt ill get an intake

Intakes (more specifically cold air style) have shown to actually make a nice little bump in power at Stage 1 and Stage 2 levels when tuned. The GD generations didn't really do much with intakes.

If you want a little more in numbers, go AEM. More sound, go Cobb. FWIW, I had a Cobb SF, no airbox on my 05 STI and the intake and blow off sounds were really loud. I loved it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Yea I like the sound alot if my buddies sf but i think I'll get annoyed eventually with constantly hearing it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.