new to the game
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new to the game within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wassup subie gang! My name is Joel,haven't purchased my subie yet. I'm a bit confused on what to purchase. I ...

new to the game

Wassup subie gang! My name is Joel,haven't purchased my subie yet. I'm a bit confused on what to purchase. I don't know if to purchase just a impreza wrx or a sti. I'm 17 still but as soon as I turn 18 in two months I will try to purchase one. I plan to take out a loan from the bank which they will give me 10k but it's gonna have to have less than 100k mile and has to have a clean title and also less than 10 years. What y'all think I should? Buy a 04 wrx or 04 sti?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd buy neither in that situation. I'd consider a less expensive car in terms of maintenance, insurance, and purchase price.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd buy neither in that situation. I'd consider a less expensive car in terms of maintenance, insurance, and purchase price.
    agreed.. 100%

Your young you still have plenty of time to get the car you want some day(unless your bill gates son then go buy one). like SD_GR said look for something thats not gonna derail you financially and then you can start saving for a new one. I bought a 07 cobalt SS as my first car it was fun and pretty cheap and saved the whole time and then bought my STI.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

So what do y'all consider me getting? I want something with a turbo and quick

For 10K your not gonna have much options in regards to vehicles that are quick and have a turbo. im guessing at age 17 you dont have much credit if any so thats an issue also.
    2013 Subaru STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YaungSimba View Post
    I was considering something without a turbo and not quick. I'm being honest. Since this isn't likely to be viewed as helpful and since I don't want to be unhelpful I'll leave it at that. Happy shopping.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YaungSimba View Post

Anything with a turbo that's "quick" and you can get for under $10,000 is going to require a lot of maintenance and repairs. For example, I bought my current WRX (2002) for $11,600 in 2008. Since then I have had to spend over $20,000 fixing it, it has only been drivable for about eight months in that time, and now it is in pieces in my garage.. not drivable. This may be an extreme case, but it's a pretty good example of how things go. Where is the rest of this money going to come from? Are you going to have another car to drive while you're making repairs to your $10k turbo car?

I seriously would rethink your plans.. that is, unless you have an extra $10k already waiting for necessary repairs AND you already own a reliable vehicle for transportation that you can use while your "quick" car is down for repairs.

There is a difference between want and need. You WANT a quick turbo car but what you really NEED is realiable transportation. People cant always get what they want. Save your money and buy something realiable and in acouple years or more you will be driving whatever you want.
    2013 Subaru STI

+1 to all that's been said. Only thing I'd add, is skip the loan as well. At 17/18 it shouldn't be hard to save up 5-6k which is plenty of scratch to get you a reliable first car. Working a minimum wage job, for 30 hours a week will get you roughly that amount in 6 months.
    I look at first cars as a car that you should love because its your first car, rather than buying a car you love.

Look at Mitsubishi Eclipse Gst and GSX 1994-1999. You can pick these up cheap and they have 210hp.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I Support ClubWRX

new to the game

I think I'm being kind in saying the Mitsubishi GSX/T are among the greatest money pits ever sold in the US. I experienced multiple failures in multiple systems and that initially lead me to think of the cars as utterly hopeless.

Then I thought about it more calmly and decided I liked them less.

Avoid at all costs. The balance shaft setup alone is criminal. Mine failed. The ECU caps fail. The transfer case is alleged to have caused deaths. Mine failed as expected but I lived only to be tortured more by the car. The A/C failed. The timing belt failed on multiple cars within months of release. The voltage regulator failed. The fog lamp switch failed. The third door dampers failed. The valve lifters never were quite right. The oil cooler return leaked. The PS banjo bolt failed. The idle set screw dropped off the car entirely. The cranks in later motors were flawed and caused themselves to "walk" or sit loosely enough that the engine would eventually fail, leading to the ridiculous situation of having owners of newer cars look for older engines. Ad nauseam. The Lancer turbos were more reliable and that's saying a lot.

A WRX costs up to 10X to buy than a DSM and is usually cheaper overall. I can't stress enough how vital it is to get as far away from a DSM as possible.

Only a Wankel is a bigger fiasco.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.

it might not fit your qualifications perfectly but try a miata. theyre not boosted and theyre not super fast in a straight line but theyre cheap to buy cheap to insure and fun as anything. they have plenty of potential to be fast as well. stock theyre low compression and have the oil jets to support a good amount of boost so one could fit you requirements for a lot less than a wrx could. i know theyre not the coolest cars out there but once you actually try one and get it up into the redline on a twisty road the cool factor doesnt even matter anymore.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Miata is a genius car. Truly a driver's car. Climate and condition would be my main concerns.

SD, you bring up some good points. Glad I didn't buy one, when I wanted one.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast