My 2015 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 2015 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, new member here, just picked up my new 2015 WRX Limited last week. This is my first Subaru, ...

My 2015 WRX

Hello all, new member here, just picked up my new 2015 WRX Limited last week. This is my first Subaru, and I traded in a 2008 Silverado Z71 so it's quite a different ride to say the least. I'm loving it so far. I have not done much to the vehicle as of yet, only window tint and Thule roof rack, but I have a Nameless axelback exhaust, with quad 4" double wall staggered tips, powder coated black ordered, which should be arriving in about 2 weeks. Here are a couple pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0712141356.jpg   IMG_20140713_084840.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to Clubwrx! Nice looking wrx you have there! Enjoy it!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Welcome to Clubwrx! Nice looking wrx you have there! Enjoy it!
    Thank you WRX-maniac, I kind of stumbled upon this site by searching for general information on WRX's, saw how this looks like a good community, decided to make a profile and post. I look forward to learning a wealth of information about this car and interacting with knowledgeable members, as I am very much new to this vehicle. Thanks and have a great day!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So I thought I would ad a bit of a review, my take that is, even though I'm sure it's been done several times on this model... I just broke 300 miles on the odometer today, so I still really haven't tested it out yet, as I want to give plenty of time for the break in period.. One thing I really deliberated on the transmission, 6MT or CVT. I've only owned 1 manual in my life, it was an eclipse in my early 20s.. I really enjoy driving manual, but I'd say almost 99% of my driving currently is done within city limits, with stop and go traffic, lots of lights... And since this will be a daily driver, not a track vehicle, I reluctantly went with the CVT transmission, even though I know a lot of Subaru drivers consider this primal sin, and I really would love to have this in manual.. I knew CVT had the paddle shifters, with the capability to slide the shifter over, and manually shift the gears, but I've owned vehicles with similar transmissions in the past, and honestly I could probably count on one hand how many times I'd actually used this feature. One thing I really like about the CVT in this WRX, is that I can use the paddle shifter to downshift at any time, I was not aware of this before purchasing, as it would have made my decision to go with CVT much easier. For example, in previous vehicles I've driven with the manual option, I'd have to pull the shifter to the left, and in one car I would use the paddle shifters similar to the WRX, and in another, I'd either push the shifter in the center console forwards or backwards depending on if I'm up or downshifting. What I recently discovered with the CVT, I can leave it in automatic, and lets say I'm about to go around a curve or pass a car, etc., I can simply press the downshift paddle and the car will drop to the lower gear... I can actually see myself using this very often because I don't have to stay in the manual option, and after I downshift, after a certain amount of time (I haven't figured out how long yet, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes longer, I think it maybe has to do with if I'm depressing the accelerator) it will just put itself back into automatic.. If anyone actually knows when it puts itself back into auto that would actually be a great help, I've been planning on reading into it I just haven't had the time.. Honestly this is probably my favorite feature that I've found about the transmission, because as you know, I can be driving through town going 40mph and I'll be in 5th or 6th gear, so if I want to zip by a car or take a turn aggressively, being in such a high gear obviously isn't optimal, so I can just hit the paddle a few times and take it down to 2nd or 3rd and I'll have a much easier time accelerating (without the split second lag of being in automatic and pressing the gas hard) or taking those sharp turns. I just wanted to share this in case there was anyone like me who was unaware of this feature and was split between buying the 6MT or CVT transmission... Overall my impression of the vehicle is nothing but excellent, it handles like a dream (although my first AWD so not much to compare it to) and it is super responsive.. I also love the look of the parking lights, and the interior is well put together in my opinion. I know, TL,DR, sorry for the wall of text, hopefully this helps someone out there, I know it would have helped me!

Congrats and welcome! I haven't been here long, but you'll find folks around here to be genuinely friendlier.

On your comment about the CVT, even when in full "auto" there shouldn't be a delay. Granted, i've owned a CVT-equipped vehicle in the past, but never test-drove that in the WRX. With CVT, there is no delay, it's always in the correct ratio or powerband. Theoretically, anyway. It's funny because Nissan is now changing the way their CVT's work because people want to feel the gear changes... which also in theory does make the CVT less efficient from having to artificially induce the delays with gear changes.

I've owned an Infiniti G with auto and paddle-shifters, it's similar to the WRX and Jetta's with the DSG+paddles where you can paddle-shift without touching the shifter. The main difference usually is if you don't touch the shifter, the tranny goes back to full auto (typically within 10 seconds.) If you physically move the shifter first, then any gear you select with the paddles will stick until you either up/downshift or move the shifter back to drive.

On the G, i find myself using the paddles so much. It's what's making me want to go back to a 6mt. Even on even prior vehicles with 4AT's, i was tinkering with the shifter more than i probably should've.

Paddles+auto is fun though, and really makes you focus on steering more.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    Congrats and welcome! I haven't been here long, but you'll find folks around here to be genuinely friendlier.

On your comment about the CVT, even when in full "auto" there shouldn't be a delay. Granted, i've owned a CVT-equipped vehicle in the past, but never test-drove that in the WRX. With CVT, there is no delay, it's always in the correct ratio or powerband. Theoretically, anyway. It's funny because Nissan is now changing the way their CVT's work because people want to feel the gear changes... which also in theory does make the CVT less efficient from having to artificially induce the delays with gear changes.

I've owned an Infiniti G with auto and paddle-shifters, it's similar to the WRX and Jetta's with the DSG+paddles where you can paddle-shift without touching the shifter. The main difference usually is if you don't touch the shifter, the tranny goes back to full auto (typically within 10 seconds.) If you physically move the shifter first, then any gear you select with the paddles will stick until you either up/downshift or move the shifter back to drive.

On the G, i find myself using the paddles so much. It's what's making me want to go back to a 6mt. Even on even prior vehicles with 4AT's, i was tinkering with the shifter more than i probably should've.

Paddles+auto is fun though, and really makes you focus on steering more.
    Well when I'm in auto and I push the accelerator and there's a delay, I didn't word it quite right.. There really isn't a delay, it's a very responsive car.. I guess if I had to explain it, if I'm cruising 40mph and I suddenly want to pass a car while in automatic, I'll press the gas, and the car will downshift, but there is that split second I guess, when if I just downshift with the paddles, I am in the gear I want exactly as I begin to accelerate, so I can time it right.. I'm not sure that makes sense, but it does in my head haha... Hard for me to explain... I didn't previously know of any vehicles that had this capability while in automatic transmission, so it's new to me, and I didn't even mean to hit the paddle the first time I did, but it downshifted and I was surprised, in a very good way! Like I said, my other vehicles that were automatic with manual shift capability I always had to either be in auto, or in the manual, so I am loving the CVT..

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXinSC42 View Post
    Well when I'm in auto and I push the accelerator and there's a delay, I didn't word it quite right.. There really isn't a delay, it's a very responsive car.. I guess if I had to explain it, if I'm cruising 40mph and I suddenly want to pass a car while in automatic, I'll press the gas, and the car will downshift, but there is that split second I guess, when if I just downshift with the paddles, I am in the gear I want exactly as I begin to accelerate, so I can time it right.. I'm not sure that makes sense, but it does in my head haha... Hard for me to explain... I didn't previously know of any vehicles that had this capability while in automatic transmission, so it's new to me, and I didn't even mean to hit the paddle the first time I did, but it downshifted and I was surprised, in a very good way! Like I said, my other vehicles that were automatic with manual shift capability I always had to either be in auto, or in the manual, so I am loving the CVT..
    And you're in S# not I mode, right?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    And you're in S# not I mode, right?
    Well no, I haven't put it in S or S# yet, I've stayed in I... I thought I might wait until 500miles to try S, and 1000 miles to try S#, for break in purposes... Do you think this is unnecessary?

Ended up ditching the thule fairing and replaced it with an Inno, I thought the Thule fairing was just a little too big and I felt like it looked like a snowboard sitting on my roof, and I like the aesthetics of the Inno fairing a lot more..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX2.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	158017

Looks great! I also have a silver 2015 WRX and am considering a roof rack. Are you happy with the Thule rack? What model is that? What length bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrxinwv View Post
    Looks great! I also have a silver 2015 WRX and am considering a roof rack. Are you happy with the Thule rack? What model is that? What length bars?
    My last 2 vehicles were trucks and I've never had a roof rack on any other vehicle so I really can't compare this one, but I like the way it looks, I haven't transported anything on it yet but it's sturdy as hell. Here's the current roof rack set up:
    -Thule ARB53 Aeroblade 53inch bars
    -Thule 1649 Fit Kit
    -Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack (480R)
    -Thule 1649 Fit Kit for 480R Traverse Foot Pack
    -Inno Medium Universal Mount Fairing

When I look at the picture I have posted in this thread, I think to myself how much better it looks in person.. I like it and if a friend of mine was in the market for a roof rack I'd recommend it.. Not sure if you saw the Thule fairing compared to my current inno fairing, but I much prefer the look of the smaller inno fairing..

Thanks for the information. I hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am.

Is the rack relatively quiet when driving?

If I'm driving fairly fast, or on the interstate with the sunroof open, it just sounds pretty windy.. If I'm driving fast/interstate with the sunroof closed, and have the radio on, not loud, just a moderate volume, I really don't notice it..

Just added rallyarmor mud flaps, the pictures really didn't come out well, it looks really good in person, easy install also, didn't remove wheels or anything like some of the posts I had seen previously. Turning the front wheels towards the side you're doing gives plenty of room, then repeat for the other side. The back wheels were a little tougher, but still didn't take more than 10-15 minutes per side.

Name:	wrx3.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	158569

Name:	wrx4.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	158577

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.