WRX IN SNOW?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX IN SNOW? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just how good is this thing honestly, we have a nissan rogue awd in family, but have had old suburbans ...

WRX IN SNOW?

Just how good is this thing honestly, we have a nissan rogue awd in family, but have had old suburbans (95) that were terrible in the snow as well... no bias if possible haha,

Can I make it through a NY winter like the one we had and not get stuck etc

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

on all seasons?

The car is not a miracle worker.

Nevertheless, this past winter (Michigan) I commuted about 70 miles/day each day and didn't get stuck on Dunlop wintersport 3D's. I was never worried about getting stuck (in spite of rubbing the bottom of the car on deep snow), that is not to say that I wasn't nervous at times about the slippery conditions.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    What year car do you have? If this is a new car and you have a set of Summers I say spend the extra money and have a winter set. They work really well in the snow when properly equipped but again that doesn't give you the excuse to drive like a jerk thinking your invincible for that you need
    American Track Truck

2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

The weight would help also; our Highlander did so well with all season with barely 50% tread left. Of course like others have mentioned you don't want to get cocky about it either.

Dedicated snow tires is the way to go up here in NE. I would or at least put decent all season and throw in some weight. I know I'll be getting dedicated winter wheelset

All subarus are amazing in winter if you have the tires for it. I used the WS-70 blizzaks last season on my Sti in Alaska and it was like driving as if there was no snow or ice in all seriousness. but then again i dont know how NY is in the winter so maybe All season will do.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

I never had any problems in my 2008 in snow with winter tires and I don't expect any in the 2015. I doubt you will want to drive any serious rutted off road trails in it, but for everyday use it will be fine.

i have made many snowboarding trips, driving in alaska, and going through the rockies. my car has always gotten me through it. remarkably i have made it up some icy hills too.

One winter i have some dedicated winter tires on, but i had to go somwhwere and it got through a couple inches. The possiblity of spinning out is still there, but i definantly feel comfortable driving in winter.

I spent last three winters in a Nissan Sentra with all weather tires... and I was OK, though I did get stuck on a hill once. If I was Ok in the Sentra, then a WRX or STI with winter tires will probably be effortless.

Key is winter tires and a general understanding of loose surface driving. I see people getting thrown in a ditch with lifted trucks simply because they decided to slam on the breaks mid turn.

Either way, not a bad idea to read up on slippry/loose surface driving techniques, and practice in an empty parking lot. It will help you in any car.

thanks everyone keep it coming, i keep hearing from the alaska and rockies and people saying they have no problems, it makes a snobby tri state person feel very happy sounds like winter tires should be all i need

I Support ClubWRX
    Winter Tires and common sense
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Yeah i wouldnt try and be a champ on the stock tires because it was like driving with super slicks on. its worth the money to keep your car out of the ditch and be able to avoid idiot drivers.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

No issues, and we had a pretty harsh New Hampshire winter, blizzak WS70's, do winter tires
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    No issues, and we had a pretty harsh New Hampshire winter, blizzak WS70's, do winter tires
    Last winter was brutal for sure!

I've been wanting Blizzak's forever; never offered on my other vehicles like on the Mazda but was pretty happy with the Michelin X-Ice2. The tires were a beast on the FWD car with weight on the back.

Can't wait this coming winter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.