Film and Opticoat
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Film and Opticoat within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've done some reading on the forum but I'm gonna get the protection film installed for all the vulnerable areas ...

Film and Opticoat

I've done some reading on the forum but I'm gonna get the protection film installed for all the vulnerable areas in the front, mirror, part of hood, etc. But also wouldn't mind Opticoat for the areas the film isn't going to cover. Filming the whole car is super expensive. Place close to me that does the film partners with someone who does the Opticoat thing so I may have em do that for me. I'll see how much more the Opticoat application adds (I figure for the areas that aren't wrapped.)

I asked the guy would it make sense to Opticoat the whole car before the film application. Is there really any point in this or once the film is applied the paint will be ok just Opticoat the rest?
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't opticoat the areas you will have clear film applied to. The clear film will be great protection and I don't see the need to spend extra to have anything under it. Depending on what brand you use for the film, you will be waxing/polishing the film every 3 months or so anyways, so it will stay good.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I wouldn't opticoat the areas you will have clear film applied to. The clear film will be great protection and I don't see the need to spend extra to have anything under it. Depending on what brand you use for the film, you will be waxing/polishing the film every 3 months or so anyways, so it will stay good.
    I would say the opposite - doesn't opticoat protect the finish of the paint? It might look odd to have a patch that it wasn't applied to, certainly later if not immediately. I doubt you'll save any money skipping areas anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I would say the opposite - doesn't opticoat protect the finish of the paint? It might look odd to have a patch that it wasn't applied to, certainly later if not immediately. I doubt you'll save any money skipping areas anyway.
    Yeah I was wondering if Opticoat just protected paint from say dirt, rain, etc then no need to Opticoat where film is gonna be. But if Opticoat protects against the sun like paint fading then I would think after some years the paint under the film would look different than the Opticoated paint.

Also if you Opticoat do you have to wait awhile like 30 days before you apply the film? I wanna take it to a place to do this stuff but can't leave it there 30 days. I mean I could come back after 30 days. I haven't been driving my car on highways or close to other cars to help prevent chips until I can get film on it.

Yes, I didn't know if Opticoat has sun fade protection in it or not.
    I do know that Xpel films let sun pass through so that the paint under the film will fade at the same rate as your non-protected areas. So yeah, if Opticoat protects against sun fading, then you would have to do the whole car as far as fading goes. Then you'd have to find out how long Opticoat lasts because if it really does affect the color, then you'd have to find out whether the area opticoated under the film would retain its color fade ability longer than the exposed section as the opticoat wears off through the years. Definitely wouldn't want a 2-toned car.

Just an update. I'm scheduling the film (full hood and fenders), paint correction and opticoat to be done and getting excited to have all this done. But I will say the cost gets up there. I mean you get an expensive car and this on top it's like wow!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.