First car: 2011 Wrx Sedan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First car: 2011 Wrx Sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everybody, I am new to this forum, I'm 17 (since 1 week) just bought my car 3 days ago. ...

First car: 2011 Wrx Sedan

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum, I'm 17 (since 1 week) just bought my car 3 days ago. I have the regular 2011 wrx sedan. I current have about $5,200 to spend on after market modifications. I need your help because I'm new to car moding. The car is 100% stock! I am looking to make a few changes: New exhaust, intake, and a turbo swap (maybe). I am not very knowledgable on Subaru mods and prides so any and all help is accepted. Also, this will be my DD so no mods that I can't use daily and won't pass inspection (live in nj). I love loud exhaust sounds, so a nice powerful and loud exhaust would preferable.

Please don't tell me not to buy it (I already did), don't tell me it's "too much power" im responsible and i know how to drive a car....

Main goal:

Go from 265 hp to at least 350 (if possible, please inform).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. Considering its your first car save the money for any incidentals. If you must make some mods I would suggest handling/cosmetic (maybe a catback) instead of performance.

Though you said "im responsible and i know how to drive a car...." and if you really really want to have all that power read of on upgrade steps with these cars you cant just bolt on a new turbo unless you have the correct supporting upgrades.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Wow...... 420Blazzin huh?

Ok, ill help you out. First bit of advice, research, research, research, and then research some more. The problem with younger kids like yourself having a car like this is that they are worried more about other peoples perception of them rather than doing things right. So dont worry about how cool you will look when u pull into your local hangout spot, or how cool you will sound when you tell your buddies you just swapped out your stock turbo for a gt35r. Not trying to be a ****, just making it clear that you cant just buy an intake or a turbo and slap it on your car without a proper tune. Practically every performance mod you do will require a tune. Keep that in mind. Check out all the stickies on here, lots of good info. But, I will point you in the right direction.

Going stage 2. Stage 2 is really just a fancy way of saying that you have a turbo-back exhaust, an intake, and a tune. But this is the first step many people take with our cars, and its a good jump in power. Based on your "wants" I would get the following: Invidia catted downpipe, Invidia N1 catback(very loud), AEM cold air intake, and the cobb accessport. Once installing all the parts you would flash the cobb stage 2 +aem map for which ever octane you use. (i.e. 91 or 93)
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Haha I'm not trying to impress anyone just trying to make it fun for myself. And I know someone who can tune it for me. But what I'm scared about most is that I won't have enough money. Having only 5,200$ I don't think it will be enough to buy all go the upgrades and then tune it.

Also if possible please send me links on where to buy these items.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Spend the money on a High-performance driving course. Either that, or invest the money for College (my suggestion).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by 420Blazzin' View Post

Please don't tell me not to buy it (I already did), don't tell me it's "too much power" im responsible and i know how to drive a car....
    Spoken like a true 17 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    Spoken like a true 17 year old.
    Yeah didn't realize how ignorant that sounded.

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    I really just don't understand where all these HS juniors and seniors are getting all this money from; if its not Mom and Dad (not saying that's how you got your car, but its usually the case). Sure, no bills to pay but i mean damn, its not like your getting that rex for $5K.

With that said, learn to drive the car first and respect the road and other drivers. Enjoy the car for what it gives you. If you want it to sound loud, do what wrx-maniac said. And i completely agree, you can never do enough research.
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you are from NJ (esp if you live in northern) I would consider spending some of that money on an extra set of snow tires.

If you know someone that can tune you car and they know what they are doing I would consider asking them to set up a different tune that comes stock from Subaru.
    One worry that I would tell someone around your age is that even though you may be able to "control" a car with more power it may get you into trouble because you may want to use it more often and may cause you to get more tickets.

Please do your research when it comes to these cars you should not be in a rush to make your power number goals.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

You are right about my rush to make a lot of power, and I really never speed, just do a lot of quick accelerations. But you're right about my eagerness to add power.

I Support ClubWRX
    quick accelerations are fun but then you pass a hidden cop and the fun of points on your license and higher insurance. If you get a really loud exhaust then your just attracting more attention to an novice licensed driver. Though an exhaust is a safe mod to get. I would at least listen to youtube videos or go to some meets to get ideas also listen to ones that have stock or aftermarket catted/catless downpipes. If you eventually upgrade that it will defiantly change the tone. You say you really never speed but it is possible to get comfortable and not realize your speeding which again could get you in trouble.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    OK I think the OP gets it. The OP has already purchased the car.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Spend the money on a High-performance driving course. Either that, or invest the money for College (my suggestion).
    What do you think of this? I participated in HPDE when I was 18 and it was extremely beneficial.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Since you are from NJ (esp if you live in northern) I would consider spending some of that money on an extra set of snow tires.
    This times infinity. This is really the only true "mod" you need for this car. These cars are very fun to drive as is, but the added traction in winter will pay for itself several times over when you don't run into a snow bank.

Also, IMO, handling > power. A nice set of sway bars and endlinks will do you well for the twisties. More fun going reasonable speeds.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Personally I think that you should stay away from power mods for a WHILE. Invest in winter tires, then maybe some wheels, suspension components, bushings, and a short throw shifter. Tint the windows..... stuff like that. This car is plenty powerful enough for a 17 year old. You claim to be "responsible", however your username says differently. Im not trying to bust your balls kid. But 420Blazzin really only means one thing. If you arent mature and responsible enough to stay away from drugs then you likely arent mature or responsible enough to be driving a 300whp wrx. These are my opinions and i talk from experience. I work in law enforcement and ive seen kids behind the wheel of a car like these. More time than not it ends badly. Be safe out there, and um........ stop smoking pot. It doesnt make you any cooler.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast