'15 wrx weird power
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '15 wrx weird power within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yay! Then Boo... 1000 miles is over yay! This weekend I was in the Sierran foothills and hit the 1000+ ...

'15 wrx weird power

Yay! Then Boo...
    1000 miles is over yay! This weekend I was in the Sierran foothills and hit the 1000+ mile mark. I just started enjoying mad amounts of power, exploring long-anticipated >30% throttle, the car surged forwards with an incredible rush. Gobs and Gobs of mature, controllable power, on long ascents with five people and a dog on board (maybe even some American Pilsners..) headed towards upper Yuba River. It was warm, everything was great. Except the power, it was weird; lurching uneven power. Is this the Electronic brain dealio learning as it goes?

91oct, 90deg F, uphill, 3000' elev, loaded car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's probably the non-linear throttle response in the car. 30% pedal throttle could well be asking for 90% power. It's a gimmick to make the car feel faster while city driving. I'm sure the other factors didnt help that much, but the WRX also isn't really that powerful. It's made for handling in corners more than head throwing speed.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I was also displeased with the poor boost control on the new WRX as well. This could, at the very least, be a component of your complaint.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I was also displeased with the poor boost control on the new WRX as well. This could, at the very least, be a component of your complaint.
    I don't plan on modding the car. 200+ hp at the wheel(s) plenty for my toodling around. But would a prof tune get rid of the wavery upper end? I can live with it I guess, just feels a little too much like my other old turbos when they sensed knock, but not as bad. Just feels like the car is exploring up there is all. Anyways, love the car and how roomy it is for sharing fun times.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the same problem in my 2011 WRX. And I know other people who have presented the same issue with my generation as well. The problem was explained to me by a tuner in Cincinnati OH. Keep in mind, this could very well not be the issue, this is just his assumption. And this problem has been known to recluse with a good tune. Anyhow, He claimed the "stutters" you are feeling in the power band to be, more likely than not, lean spots in the fueling curve of the stock tune. Now again, this is just a theory and in no way have I heard or seen any proof that this is what is wrong. But it seems quite logical to me.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I have the same problem in my 2011 WRX. And I know other people who have presented the same issue with my generation as well. The problem was explained to me by a tuner in Cincinnati OH. Keep in mind, this could very well not be the issue, this is just his assumption. And this problem has been known to recluse with a good tune. Anyhow, He claimed the "stutters" you are feeling in the power band to be, more likely than not, lean spots in the fueling curve of the stock tune. Now again, this is just a theory and in no way have I heard or seen any proof that this is what is wrong. But it seems quite logical to me.
    Is the tuner you mentioned All Speed Innovations in Lebanon? I had them install my Cobb downpipe and make a few initial runs with my Accessport and I'm pleased with their service. The Cobb Stage 2 map definitely leveled out the power band and all but eliminated the "stutters" mentioned in this post. I'm very happy with the power delivery throughout the RPM band.
    2013 WRX 5-door PBP Limited

Once the Cobb Accessport comes out it will be a better car

follow up

Follow up-
    Now approaching 3k miles. Did another fully overloaded trip up and clear the heck over the Sierras. Full 21.3psi boosting here and there, judiciously, as a mature driver would drive. Did a high pass at 10k' elevation, hot days, full on AC in 102F, crap on top of the roof rack, bugs dying and caking up on all leading edges. My feeling is that the car has 'learned' something, in that the weird power I wrote about has become more even. Still a wavery top end but not as weird going up the rpm range. Still thinking about an eventual tune in a few years, whenever Vishnu Tuning needs my money. Out, thanks all for now. Loving my frikken car.

zax
    Vishnu tuning has been out of the game for years!

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Vishnu tuning has been out of the game for years!
    haha, shows you how much I know. I did inquire, and got a guarded response as to the new wrx...and I am hopeful. As follows:
    (april 17, 2014)
    me: Finally picking up a wrx, longtime saaber. Anything mild for me to start with on a 2015 wrx?
    Vishnu tuning: Hey, sorry, but at this time we don't have anything for the new wrx. We are not sure if the wrx will be in our pipeline of cars to develop. But follow our FB page and if we do release something for the new wrx we will ceratainly post it up.
    me: Thanks for the response, speaks volumes that you don't just say "hell yeah c'mon in we'll tweak that _poop_"
    Vishnu tuning: Yes sir, we are very experienced in tuning and the FRS/BRZ market has done us well. It is not that we can't tune the wrx 2.0 but jumping into the market will take time and we need to determine the amount of interest and volume. Enjoy the car for now cuz (sic) it's new so not many shops will have anything right out of the bat. If they do it will be pricey. Thanks for your interest.

so this wrx will be selling alot around here, and I am sure the pestering of Vishnu will get them to see $ signs, and they do kick ass and have had success with the BRZ. only a matter of time?

Yep that's what I was told by other WRX owners in another board. They said AccessPort or ProTune should fix the problem with stage 1. It get that weird momentarily pause especially trying to accelerate with 4th & 5th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    My 08 stuttered until given a stage 1 tune. I'm waiting for the AP as well, have a feeling it will make the power delivery much more enjoyable on the 15.

zax
    TO TO TO TO TODAY JUNIOR!

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.