Questions and Feedback regarding my 2014 WRX hatchback
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions and Feedback regarding my 2014 WRX hatchback within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The first car that I learned how to drive was my mom and dad's '02 WRX hatchback. I got my ...

Questions and Feedback regarding my 2014 WRX hatchback

The first car that I learned how to drive was my mom and dad's '02 WRX hatchback. I got my license at 17, and I'm 23 now, so I have about 6 years of driving the WRX under my belt and I really enjoy these machines. It was very hard to learn how to drive the WRX because of the tightness and sensitivity of the car, but our '02 is in great condition with low milage running all stock parts to this day, besides the air filter. Last year, in winter, my mom offered to split a small downpayment on a new 2014 WRX so that I could pay it off over the next 5 years and build up my credit. After a few weeks, I agreed to this deal because I love our '02 WRX to death and I figured that the 2014 WRX would be just as awesome.

I have now owned the '14 WRX for 7 months, put about 7800 miles on it (started at 0), and generally had a great time with my car. It is costing me a lot of money, but I suppose that this is because I am young and really learning the responsibility of paying for something more than a graphics card, the laptop I bought, etc. This car is beautiful and quick, but I have a few questions:

A) I have never 'launched' my WRX and it sounds like a really terrible idea. Is there a safe way to launch this car? I am not interested in anything that is going to potentially hurt my car or cost me money. The money that I make is mostly saved outside of my car payment, phone / internet portions, etc. There is room for me to buy parts to replace, but I don't have much of any installation experience with car parts. I am more of an IT freak (and I suppose that this aspect of myself is what has caused me to have such an interest in working on cars lately). If there is a way that I can launch my sube without hurting it, I would really like to know. From what I have read so far, it involves slipping the clutch, which I am assuming is the gradual process of letting the clutch out after working the car up to ~4k RPMs.

B) Is it safe to get so high up in RPMs? I never go above 6000 RPMs, and I only do that if I am merging into the carpool lane and getting up to ~70MPH. I might go from 2nd to 3rd in the process and just want to try to feel the car out a bit. I imagine that I will inevitably damage the car if I am consistently pushing it into 7 and 8k RPMs, but I am not really sure. Is this dangerous?

C) Is it ok to feel out my gear shifts based on where I'm at in RPMs and how the car sounds? Would it be better to get a shifter gauge that tells me when to shift? Is it possible to get one?

D) I would really like to get a stage 2 tune up kit, but is it possible for me to install this stuff on my own? Is it dangerous? Are these kits worth the money? I know that having a bigger exhaust pipe will allow me to get more out of the car and also give me a small bit more horsepower, but is this really necessary?

E) What kinds of cars should I be worried about while I'm on the road?

Afternote:

I am not looking to destroy my WRX or race it into the ground or any of that; I don't have that kind of money at all, and I am far from rich - my car is coming out of my own pocket. I consider myself to be pretty well versed with the WRX and I always babied the '02 hatchback. I rarely ever raced around in it, although when I did it was extremely fun. I haven't done much with this '14 WRX because it is very precious to me, although I will admit that I deleted a mustang GT 2 weeks ago, but I don't think that it was very fair. At this point, I am mainly looking to fine-tune my driving skills and I am also looking for the best bang for my buck with this car. When I spent time working on computers and buying new parts for the one that I built, I was always most interested in getting the best bang for my buck. Of course, for this reason, I have a WRX.

P.P.S

Yes, I bought the foglights too

Sube Jr after 3k mile oil change

Inside with PSI guage

Sube Jr's shortshifter

My parents' first new car! The family WRX hatch from '02. Pretty dirty right now.

Dirty subey

A 1985 z28 that I bought as my first car. It was $1,600 with 78k miles on it!! Passes smog every year for 6 years straight!!
    Last edited by Sube Jr; 06-28-2014 at 10:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sube Jr View Post
    The first car that I learned how to drive was my mom and dad's '02 WRX hatchback. I got my license at 17, and I'm 23 now, so I have about 6 years of driving the WRX under my belt and I really enjoy these machines. It was very hard to learn how to drive the WRX because of the tightness and sensitivity of the car, but our '02 is in great condition with low milage running all stock parts to this day, besides the air filter. Last year, in winter, my mom offered to split a small downpayment on a new 2014 WRX so that I could pay it off over the next 5 years and build up my credit. After a few weeks, I agreed to this deal because I love our '02 WRX to death and I figured that the 2014 WRX would be just as awesome.

I have now owned the '14 WRX for 7 months, put about 7800 miles on it (started at 0), and generally had a great time with my car. It is costing me a lot of money, but I suppose that this is because I am young and really learning the responsibility of paying for something more than a graphics card, the laptop I bought, etc. This car is beautiful and quick, but I have a few questions:

A) I have never 'launched' my WRX and it sounds like a really terrible idea. Is there a safe way to launch this car? I am not interested in anything that is going to potentially hurt my car or cost me money. The money that I make is mostly saved outside of my car payment, phone / internet portions, etc. There is room for me to buy parts to replace, but I don't have much of any installation experience with car parts. I am more of an IT freak (and I suppose that this aspect of myself is what has caused me to have such an interest in working on cars lately). If there is a way that I can launch my sube without hurting it, I would really like to know. From what I have read so far, it involves slipping the clutch, which I am assuming is the gradual process of letting the clutch out after working the car up to ~4k RPMs.

B) Is it safe to get so high up in RPMs? I never go above 6000 RPMs, and I only do that if I am merging into the carpool lane and getting up to ~70MPH. I might go from 2nd to 3rd in the process and just want to try to feel the car out a bit. I imagine that I will inevitably damage the car if I am consistently pushing it into 7 and 8k RPMs, but I am not really sure. Is this dangerous?

C) Is it ok to feel out my gear shifts based on where I'm at in RPMs and how the car sounds? Would it be better to get a shifter gauge that tells me when to shift? Is it possible to get one?

D) I would really like to get a stage 2 tune up kit, but is it possible for me to install this stuff on my own? Is it dangerous? Are these kits worth the money? I know that having a bigger exhaust pipe will allow me to get more out of the car and also give me a small bit more horsepower, but is this really necessary?

E) What kinds of cars should I be worried about while I'm on the road?

Afternote:

I am not looking to destroy my WRX or race it into the ground or any of that; I don't have that kind of money at all, and I am far from rich - my car is coming out of my own pocket. I consider myself to be pretty well versed with the WRX and I always babied the '02 hatchback. I rarely ever raced around in it, although when I did it was extremely fun. I haven't done much with this '14 WRX because it is very precious to me, although I will admit that I deleted a mustang GT 2 weeks ago, but I don't think that it was very fair. At this point, I am mainly looking to fine-tune my driving skills and I am also looking for the best bang for my buck with this car. When I spent time working on computers and buying new parts for the one that I built, I was always most interested in getting the best bang for my buck. Of course, for this reason, I have a WRX.

P.P.S

Yes, I bought the foglights too
    Welcome to the forum.

A. If you are trying to race another car I would try to stay around 2000-2500rpms in the interest of keeping the drive train intact and slipping the clutch. You may not launch as hard as you would at 4k, but your drive train will last longer.

B. Redline is 6500.

C. I normally shift by sound and feel. I look at the tach when I am data logging. If you feel the factory tach is not good enough, you can get an aftermarket tach with a shift light that will come on to an rpm you set.

D. If you can get the car high enough, you could install a downpipe. I did mine on a lift 6-7 feet off the ground. I don't think jack stands would be high enough. As far as being worth it, that depends. I got a catless invidia down pipe for $300, then welded and flanged a 3" cat where the factory 2nd cat goes for another $100. I was not spending $600 on a Cobb, and I don't like the position of the catted invidia cat. So it was worth it to me.

That aside I was fine with a stage 1 Cobb tune,Aem intake and 3" cat back.

E. That depends if you can get your launching and shifting fine tuned. Don't forget to turn off traction control.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

Quote Originally Posted by 100plus2Vegas View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

A. If you are trying to race another car I would try to stay around 2000-2500rpms in the interest of keeping the drive train intact and slipping the clutch. You may not launch as hard as you would at 4k, but your drive train will last longer.

B. Redline is 6500.

C. I normally shift by sound and feel. I look at the tach when I am data logging. If you feel the factory tach is not good enough, you can get an aftermarket tach with a shift light that will come on to an rpm you set.

D. If you can get the car high enough, you could install a downpipe. I did mine on a lift 6-7 feet off the ground. I don't think jack stands would be high enough. As far as being worth it, that depends. I got a catless invidia down pipe for $300, then welded and flanged a 3" cat where the factory 2nd cat goes for another $100. I was not spending $600 on a Cobb, and I don't like the position of the catted invidia cat. So it was worth it to me.

That aside I was fine with a stage 1 Cobb tune,Aem intake and 3" cat back.

E. That depends if you can get your launching and shifting fine tuned. Don't forget to turn off traction control.
    Thanks for the response, especially E! My main goal with this car right now is to preserve it and have fun with it, but mainly to just completely master the car. I'm young but I'm not a scrub when it comes to driving the WRX casually and shifting in high RPMs. I don't launch either of them just because it's a little sketchy and the '02 was not MY car. The '14 is I just don't want to hurt it, it's way too expensive for me to hurt. I will definitely work on some little launches in the 2k RPM range and just really start to master that in case I decide to get a stage kit and save up some money as backup money for parts and potential damage.

EDIT:

Forgot to include:

I've got a PSI gauge and an STI short-shifter
    Last edited by Sube Jr; 06-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Sounds like your headed down the right path. Have fun.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.