Should I change my engine oil at 500 miles?

This is a discussion on Should I change my engine oil at 500 miles? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello guys I have a brand new 2015 WRX and my friends are recommending me to get the first engine ...

Should I change my engine oil at 500 miles?

Hello guys
    I have a brand new 2015 WRX and my friends are recommending me to get the first engine oil change around 500 miles. Should I or not? Some of my friends said I don't have to because newer engines are so good that they are not like old days. But most of my friends who have worked on Subies recommending me to do it. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... I want to hear your opinion guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You can follow the manufacturer's recommendation per the service manual. The engineers at Subaru know these engines well.

It wouldn't hurt to change your oil after breakin, but it is not required.

Lots of threads on this, I believe. Seconding 11blackSTi's recommendation; read the manual. If you read the manual, and do what it says, doesn't it stand to reason that Subaru will stand by the work that is covered by a warranty you paid for?

I Support ClubWRX
    If your friends have worked on Subarus, does that mean their cars broke down?...

Ask SOA in writing whether your model is shipped with a specific break in oil. Get an answer in writing, post it here, and if the answer is no, then changing oil at 500 could be a waste of time, money, and resources but it's unlikely to do any harm. If the answer is yes, wait.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.