Wanting a '15 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wanting a '15 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Around the triangle in NC, it looks like the only color of WRX Limited they keep in stock is silver, ...

Wanting a '15 WRX

Around the triangle in NC, it looks like the only color of WRX Limited they keep in stock is silver, which is the last color I would choose. So it looks like I will have to order one, which I am not opposed to, but I do have some questions.

I've watched a lot of Youtube reviews and read a lot of blogs and caranddriver type reviews. The common complaint is the base stereo. Is the major problem because of the head unit or because of the speakers? I'm considering getting the NAV/Keyless option because of this, but if the issue is only due to the head unit, I can get a good one for $300-$400 and be done with it (and save $2000). I don't need the nav, necessarily, especially since some say it's quite lacking. The keyless entry and remote start are also non-necessities. I tried to read through some of the posts, but there's so many to go through and the searching terms are rather generic.

My second question is, how long is the break-in period? I bought my 2010 Scion TC new in 2009 and I think the break-in was about 500 miles. Obviously it varies by vehicle, I'm just wondering how long I get to have a good excuse for playing around in a new car.

A food for thought question: What annoys you the most about the new WRX? What annoys me the most about my TC is that it won't charge my ipod when the car is turned off (it's actually an old iphone which is probably the problem), essentially it dies over night and has to charge for 2-3 minutes before it turns on. The only radio station that's decent around here has an unhealthy obsession with Tom Petty. I can only take so much. I wonder if the USB port on the new WRX can keep my old iphone/ipod charged?

My planned WRX is:

Limited trim, black in color
    Nav/keyless/HK audio

The short throw shifter and auto-dimming/compass mirror seem to be a commonly packaged group of options, which I think I'd like, so can't argue with that. Are there any "must have" options other than that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Theres alot of vehicles that wont charge your ipod even after your vehicle shuts off such as my 2013 sti. I wouldn't count on any vehicle having the feature but i do know it charges my phone pretty quickly on my car at least. Break in is 1000 miles with no going above 4000 RPM and not using your cruise control or keeping the same RPM like driving on a highway.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

First off: Congrats, great car. You are going to really love it. Going dark is always a solid plan. Order the exact car you want and wait for it. I would recommend the short shifter.

As for stock radio, it sounds just ok, but not once you are rolling. I don't know what it would take to have truly good sound system in this car, it is not a quiet space in there! Volume can be turned up, Base can be added, but leave the idea of an old French Abbey accoustic experience behind.

Free app and a good dash phone mount are my Nav, with dashcam app running most of the time.

Be serious about following the recommended break-in period of 1000 miles. It is a tightly wound high pressure, high output 2.0L and if it starts crapping out on us we all need to know it was not because of early abuse, think of us all as the new foolish tribe! Stick together.

Also, this car is going to be so much fun for you, I used to live in Calvander NC and miss the fantastic country routes.

I only have a WRX base model. I dont think the stock stereo sounds bad. But to hear it when you are driving you need to have it turned ALMOST all the way up. IDK how installing an aftermarket HU will work out tho because it displays the volume on small screen that displays the digital boost gauge and other stuff(sorry im not sure what the screen is called).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nomx View Post
    Around the triangle in NC, it looks like the only color of WRX Limited they keep in stock is silver, which is the last color I would choose. So it looks like I will have to order one, which I am not opposed to, but I do have some questions.
    I think the silver looks better in pictures than it does in real life. I didn't even realize I was looking at a WRX the first time I saw it at the dealership.

I've watched a lot of Youtube reviews and read a lot of blogs and caranddriver type reviews. The common complaint is the base stereo. Is the major problem because of the head unit or because of the speakers? I'm considering getting the NAV/Keyless option because of this, but if the issue is only due to the head unit, I can get a good one for $300-$400 and be done with it (and save $2000). I don't need the nav, necessarily, especially since some say it's quite lacking. The keyless entry and remote start are also non-necessities. I tried to read through some of the posts, but there's so many to go through and the searching terms are rather generic.
    I haven't listened to the base speakers or the harman kardon system, but can say the Kicker system with aftermarket head unit is OK. I have yet to find an equalizer setting that I really like with it, but it's not a bad setup. I think at the very least the base system would need an underseat powered bass if you're swapping head units. The bass from just the speakers is lacking crisp depth in my opinion.

A food for thought question: What annoys you the most about the new WRX?
    My biggest gripe with the WRX has been the e-brake boot. It is incredibly cheap feeling and kind of sounds like a rain coat when I apply the brake.

The short throw shifter and auto-dimming/compass mirror seem to be a commonly packaged group of options, which I think I'd like, so can't argue with that. Are there any "must have" options other than that?
    My only must have option was the 6 speed mt, the other options are nice to have but I still would have bought the car without them. The Kicker sound upgrades were convenient add ons because I recently did an audio upgrade on a car and didnt want to go through that again without a garage.

I have the limited model and have added an amp to the speakers, just a basic alpine power pack because i dont want any real amps in my car, as far as complaints, will say dont plan on a comfortable daily driver, the seats are comfy but man the road is rough, I just hit 1200 miles so i will actually get a feel for the car. The car handles amazing compared to the old wagon, also if you can /want order the lip kit with the car because its not in stock afterwards or atleast i was told not yet. The fake carbon fiber interiors is one of my biggest pet peeves, ive been trying out different vinyls to figure whT color i want. But as far as the ipod not charging or as I say with everything if you dont like it then change it, anything and everything can be done with brain an some minimal money. If you want a DIY on any car to turn your cigarette or usb to constant than message me and ill make a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 Wrx Satin White Premium, TurboXs TBE, AP stage 2

Thanks for the replies.

Somehow I did indeed leave 6-speed out, that is a MUST in the highest regards. I enjoy driving and therefore don't want to swap out one of the joys of driving with a CVT.

As for the iPod, I can say it'd probably be resolved by simply having an actual iPod and not using an old iphone. Even with it in airplane mode with wifi/bluetooth turned off, there's so many background applications running for no reason that it eats the battery. I could also just use my current iphone, which I keep charged anyways. I just liked being able to leave it in the center console and never having to unplug it.

I have yet to get a quote back from the dealers. It's kind of annoying. It's been over a week since I've submitted quotes to all 3 of the dealers around here and have yet to get a response back other than them trying to sell me on one they already have in stock or one coming in soon. I understand that, but doing it multiple times is very frustrating for a buyer. I hope this weekend, I'll have time to actually go in and sit down with someone and have them do it at the dealership, e-mails and calls seem to get me nowhere. I've also looked at all the dealerships I could find on subaru.com for NC, VA, and SC. None of them have the right combinations of what I'm looking for, except in silver. I hate silver.

For the radio - I wasn't actually aware of how loud it was inside the cabin. My friend's 2010 WRX wagon is fairly quiet (the one that I drove and made me want to buy a WRX), albeit louder than my TC for sure. His has a NAV in it and upgraded speakers. It doesn't sound too bad.

I should consider the Kicker sub upgrade. I've had previous vehicles with aftermarket installed sound systems and they never seem "right." I'd much rather have a factory installed sound system than doing it myself anyways.

As for the break-in being 1000 miles. I'm going on a trip to the midwest in September, so maybe I should wait til I get back before trading in. I live about 10 miles from work and don't think I could build up 1000 miles in time. Even with cross country trips on a yearly basis, I still seem to average only about 7,000 miles per year.

I specifically wanted a certain color and trim level also. My local dealer said they checked incoming vehicles around other dealers and existing stock and there was none like I wanted.
    So I called a larger dealership that is 2 hours from me and they located 3 like I wanted in the trim and color. They are having one redirected to them and will have it in 30 days.
    So don't give up if one dealer can't get one without ordering and waiting 4 months. Some dealers are lazy or don't have much pull apparently. So keep checking.

Indeed!

One of the dealers just got back to me this morning and said they had one coming in in August with the options I wanted in DGM, which I might jump on. However, they literally stated "with the options you requested" and didn't specifically list the options, so hopefully they are indeed correct.

DGM was my 3rd color choice, but think of it like a race between all of the colors, DGM CBS and CWP would finish in near milliseconds from each other, with WRB and GBP a few seconds behind, then LR and ISM falling asleep at the starting line.

Just get an older model like a '14 and save the money. The 2015 will be worth less in the future because it strayed too far from the original hatch design

I actually like the '15 design. While a hatch would be nice, it's not a necessity.

Buying a 1-year old used model to save money isn't really in my best interest as most of those for sale, if I could find one, have an absurd amount of miles on them. Buying a new 2014 is about same price as 2015, so wouldn't save any money.

It really comes down to personal tastes and I like the '15. When it comes to future value, I don't think anyone can accurately predict that right now.

I actually like the '15 design. While a hatch would be nice, it's not a necessity.

Buying a 1-year old used model to save money isn't really in my best interest as most of those for sale, if I could find one, have an absurd amount of miles on them. Buying a new 2014 is about same price as 2015, so wouldn't save any money.

It really comes down to personal tastes and I like the '15. When it comes to future value, I don't think anyone can accurately predict that right now.
    True but the old hatchbacks are still worth quite a bit if they are in good condition with low milage and no aftermarket, no speed demons using it. A person that works at a dealership told me that the '15 will not be as much of a cult classic as the hatchbacks have proven to be. Old STIs are still going for over 10g in good condition with really low milage, and that's definitely pretty cool to see. You're right though you probably wouldn't save a whole lot going with a '14, but if you went with a lower year like an '11 you might be able to find a good deal if you look around for a while. Then again it's personal preference, if you have the money and like the '15 you might as well get it.

Count me in as someone who did not like any of the previous designs until the 2015 wrx. Also the 2015 has way better interior and more space in the backseat. I have a toddler. And like you, I also hate silver. I almost ordered a red base but someone close to me had some financial problems. Maybe next year.

I'd advise you not to get nav, hk or kicker sub. Just get a pioneer that has carplay or android auto. It's way cheaper.

A wrx is for consumption. If you want good resale, buy a camry or accord. Better reliability equals better resale. That's why bmw and mercedes resale plummets after the warranty is over. Wrx resale depends on where you live. Buy and have fun.

One of the local dealers has a GBP coming in with everything except the mirror/compass thing, which I can get aftermarket and install no issue. Now to get the dealer to call me back since I can't make it out there (all the way on the other side of town, like 30 miles from me) until the weekend.

Edit: I also have another question/comment about the break-in.

Since the break-in is 1000 miles, I'm at a conundrum. In September, I am making a half-way-across-the-country trip which is right at 1100 miles each way. This trip would suck without taking the Interstate. However, constant speed isn't good for the break-in. I basically have to decide whether it's worth waiting until after September to pick up the WRX, which would then add the extra 2k miles to my current vehicle and possibly knock down the trade-in value, or just drive the sh*t out of the WRX to break-in the car before leaving. Is it a good idea to drive it for long periods of time during the break-in? I was thinking about taking a trip out to the coastline and back (about 150 miles each way) taking the back roads. That accompanied with driving back and forth across town for no other reason than to put miles on the car.

I would like to use the new WRX for the trip, but I don't want to put so many miles on it so quickly if it's not in the best interest of the vehicle. Also, my current car is a 2010 TC with 34,xxx on it, so I'm not sure if an extra 2k will really hurt the trade-in value.

Alternatively, do you think it'd be safe to take the Interstate but make frequent stops along the way? I'm interested in knowing what others have done to speed up their break-in.
    Last edited by nomx; 07-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Alternatively, do you think it'd be safe to take the Interstate but make frequent stops along the way? I'm interested in knowing what others have done to speed up their break-in.
    There are many theories on break-in. Mine is to let the engine cool a few times during the first few days to let everything bed in properly. I did a 1200 mile road trip within days of owning my first WRX and it burnt a lot of oil after, but that could have been damaged caused in the first 150 miles when it was a demo. My 2014 Forester and 2015 WRX had a more deliberate break in and so far haven't used any oil in their short life (could change...).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.