Wanting a '15 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wanting a '15 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My plan would be to make a stop every couple hours. Let it idle for a minute, turn it off, ...

My plan would be to make a stop every couple hours. Let it idle for a minute, turn it off, fill it up with gas, let it sit for 5-10 mins, turn it back on and idle for a few minutes, then back on the road. Go the whole way without cruise control and trying not to top 4k RPMs.

This will turn an 18 hour trip into 20 hours. Can't complain that much, either way it's a long trip. I can get the oil changed when I get there.

I just hope that several long periods of variable 3-4k RPMs won't hurt it. Now that I think about it, I did make a 400 mile trip in my TC (bought it at 212 miles) within the first 1k and it holds oil like a champ, never had any issues with it.

I'll get in touch with someone from the dealership and run this scenario by them and see what they say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nomx View Post
    My plan would be to make a stop every couple hours. Let it idle for a minute, turn it off, fill it up with gas, let it sit for 5-10 mins, turn it back on and idle for a few minutes, then back on the road. Go the whole way without cruise control and trying not to top 4k RPMs.

This will turn an 18 hour trip into 20 hours. Can't complain that much, either way it's a long trip. I can get the oil changed when I get there.

I just hope that several long periods of variable 3-4k RPMs won't hurt it. Now that I think about it, I did make a 400 mile trip in my TC (bought it at 212 miles) within the first 1k and it holds oil like a champ, never had any issues with it.

I'll get in touch with someone from the dealership and run this scenario by them and see what they say.
    Most of my 1000 mile break-in consisted of me varying speed from 50mph to 70mph over the course of hours. I simply stayed in the rightmost lane. Sure, people looked at me funny, but I figured it was my markedly good looks.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Most of my 1000 mile break-in consisted of me varying speed from 50mph to 70mph over the course of hours. I simply stayed in the rightmost lane. Sure, people looked at me funny, but I figured it was my markedly good looks.
    Something like that would be how my trip would be. It's already going to take 10 hours + sleep + another 10 hours, and I generally keep to the speed limit. The only thing that I'm wondering is the definition of "long". I see the manual, and everyone else, says "don't stay at the same speed/RPM for long periods of time." None of that really defines what long is. Long could be 10 minutes. Long could be 2 hours.

Additionally, I could just take every other off ramp, and just cross it and come back out onto the interstate. That would vary it a lot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Something like that would be how my trip would be. It's already going to take 10 hours + sleep + another 10 hours, and I generally keep to the speed limit. The only thing that I'm wondering is the definition of "long". I see the manual, and everyone else, says "don't stay at the same speed/RPM for long periods of time." None of that really defines what long is. Long could be 10 minutes. Long could be 2 hours.

Additionally, I could just take every other off ramp, and just cross it and come back out onto the interstate. That would vary it a lot.
    Just rotate between 5th and 6th gears and dont use cruise control, I think that is varying enough for a long road trip.

And gizmo, after seeing your GBP and a couple others, I think that color has jumped to the top of my color list if I end up having to order one. I really wanted a black one to begin with as my old E36 looked so nice in black, but that doesn't hold true for all cars. I think GBP holds that darker look better than black, and allows for more accenting colors (plus tinted windows) to look better.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    Just rotate between 5th and 6th gears and dont use cruise control, I think that is varying enough for a long road trip.
    And occasionally from 5th, slow to around 50mph and drop her in to fourth for decel load. Enjoy!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    And gizmo, after seeing your GBP and a couple others, I think that color has jumped to the top of my color list if I end up having to order one. I really wanted a black one to begin with as my old E36 looked so nice in black, but that doesn't hold true for all cars. I think GBP holds that darker look better than black, and allows for more accenting colors (plus tinted windows) to look better.
    I hope you get to see the colors in person before you have to make a decision. I love the GBP when it's clean, unfortunately without a garage I find a nice coating of pollen after a couple days outside. I probably would have gone with WRB if I could redo it. I am planning on getting a mild tint for mine, 50% at most. We get a bit less sun up here than you do in north carolina.

I'm not a huge fan of WRB (blaspheme!). I've seen a fair share of them around here, but none in the GBP if I can remember. Most of them are WRB, but have seen a few silver and one red one. Pollen is a big problem in most areas around here. Not just pollen, but sap as well. Raleigh is the city of oaks, and there are trees ev-er-y-where. Luckily, the place I'm at right now doesn't have a lot of trees, so pollen this year hasn't been an issue at all, for the first time ever. Plus having an on-site car cleaning station... it'd get a visit every weekend.

I got tint on my TC about 6 months after buying it. I could tell right away a big difference in ambient interior temperature after it sitting out in the sun all day, as well as when driving. I think mine are at 15%, but may be 25%... it's been 4 years. I suppose silver and other medium colors are best for hiding most kinds of dirt/pollen, but they don't look as brilliant when cleaned up. And I hope to keep this one pretty clean.

The only thing I don't like about dark tint is driving around at night time. Sometimes it's damn near impossible to see out of your sides and mirrors and make accurate judgments. It's like it messes with your depth perception. I typically roll my window down if need be, which isn't very often. There's exactly 0 (within a +/- 1 margin of error) right angle turns in Raleigh it seems, so there's always some weird angle you're looking at.

I'm going to swing by one of the dealerships after work tomorrow and take a good look. Hopefully they'll be a bit more responsive in person than they've been on emails and phone calls. Now I need to order a GoPro.

zax
    I'm not a huge fan of WRB (blaspheme!)
    Nor am I.

My favorite colors on the 2015 are Red, CWP, and GBP ('murica)

Facebook me here

Went to one of the dealerships after work and got to sit in one and get the feel of it. They have a weird garage set up where they bring down specific cars that you're interested in if they're not in the main lot (the only one in the main lot was a red sti). The car had 7 miles on it and all the masking vinyl... still had plastic over the rims. I couldn't test drive it yet as they hadn't fully inspected it.

My trip was a little short since it started to rain, stupid tropical storm.

Going to get my car appraised this weekend and probably put a deposit on the GBP so they can mark it as sold. One of the far-off dealerships gave me a lowball estimate on my car, so I'm hoping the local appraisals are a bit more to my liking. If it fails to get a better appraisal, I might have just wait it out a bit longer to get a Limited like I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sube Jr View Post
    Just get an older model like a '14 and save the money. The 2015 will be worth less in the future because it strayed too far from the original hatch design
    Not sure where you're finding last year models cheaper than '15 models but I'm seeing 2013 / 2014 models with 20-30k and selling for 28k-30k pricetag....which is kind of ridiculous especially with all those miles and mods to it. Tells me they fukd it up and trying to get their money back somehow.

The rare ones are the '13 Special Edition (orange) WRXs with less than 2,000 miles on ebay or autotrader...only problem....40K for a 2013 WRX with some mileage is not worth 40K.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Sube Jr View Post
    Just get an older model like a '14 and save the money. The 2015 will be worth less in the future because it strayed too far from the original hatch design
    Original hatch design? The original WRX/STi were sedans.

Also, I don't think you realize how much better the new WRX is compared to last year's model. It's a night-and-day difference.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Original hatch design? The original WRX/STi were sedans.

Also, I don't think you realize how much better the new WRX is compared to last year's model. It's a night-and-day difference.
    Agreed.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Drove 2015 WRX today

I drove WRX stick today (2015) Accardi Subaru in South Florida. I noticed it had a flat spot around 5k rpm. Is that correct? Does the STI have same flat spot? I asked them if I could test drive an STI when it arrives in two weeks and they said probably not unless I work a deal first. So is it normal to have the car just run out of steam at 5k RPM in 1st and 2nd gear??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeholloway View Post
    I drove WRX stick today (2015) Accardi Subaru in South Florida. I noticed it had a flat spot around 5k rpm. Is that correct? Does the STI have same flat spot? I asked them if I could test drive an STI when it arrives in two weeks and they said probably not unless I work a deal first. So is it normal to have the car just run out of steam at 5k RPM in 1st and 2nd gear??
    I haven't reved that high in mine yet, but my mazdaspeed 3 would run out of steam at 2k in first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.