How to: 2015 WRX 0-60 4.8 sec
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to: 2015 WRX 0-60 4.8 sec within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is an excerpt taken from Car and Driver.... "From the March 2014 Issue of Car and Driver TESTED Even ...

Smile How to: 2015 WRX 0-60 4.8 sec

This is an excerpt taken from Car and Driver....

"From the March 2014 Issue of Car and Driver
    TESTED
    Even the cruelest parking valets are unlikely to rev a car’s engine to redline and dump its clutch. But that’s just what a Subaru engineer suggested we do when we asked him how to get the best acceleration times out of the 2015 WRX.

In human terms, this sort of launch is equivalent to jumping out of a moving car and hoping to suddenly start running like Usain Bolt.

“Rev the engine high enough to get wheelspin when the clutch engages, and shift out of first around 5200 rpm,” advised the engineer. With the four-wheel-drive traction of the WRX in mind, we wondered aloud, “You sure the clutch and gearbox will survive that launch?”

“Oh, yes,” he grinned.

And so, here’s how we hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds: We held the engine at the 6700-rpm redline, jumped off the clutch, shifted out of first at about 5300 rpm, and held on to second until the car hit the redline in second at 61 mph. To get down to a repeatable 4.8-second time, we subjected the WRX to this mechanical mayhem 14 times. To its credit, it didn’t utter a peep of discontent. The clutch didn't slip, no driveshafts turned into fusilli, and the six-speed ’box shifted and responded exactly as it did when we started. Will you try this with your new WRX? We doubt it. And if instead you just ease off the line, your times will likely be somewhere closer to our 6.3-second rolling-start 5-to-60-mph figure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its good to know that these vehicles can handle that kind abuse! It makes me feel better about mine considering I baby my WRX and dont plan to launch it like that ever! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 15WRXNoob View Post
    Its good to know that these vehicles can handle that kind abuse! It makes me feel better about mine considering I baby my WRX and dont plan to launch it like that ever! lol
    I just wonder how many people are going to launch with a more gentle release and burn their clutch out prematurely. I have myself on the short-list

Thats one of the reasons I don't plan on launching my car. I'm new to spirited driving and I feel like I wouldn't have the balls to dump the clutch at those high RPMs. Id be to worried about breaking something that I cannot afford to fix.

I think that if folks abuse their WRX on a regular basis in this way, they bought the wrong car! It was built for twisties, not straight line performance.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.