New member And new car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New member And new car within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I posted in other members thread so I decided to make one too. I ...

New member And new car

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I posted in other members thread so I decided to make one too.

I used to own a 2011 wrx sedan and regretted getting rid of it. So I traded my 2014 V6 camry XSP package for a 2015 Wrx Premium CVT.

plan on adding mudflaps this weekend.

I have a question about what octane are you putting in your 2015 wrx since now the manual says premium is recommended not required like my old wrx.

I was able to snacth this from another dealer. Car just got off the truck and the dealer I was working with went to get it for me. Since the other dealer was only knocking off 500 dollars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140614_082923_resized.jpg   20140614_082914_resized.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey there - nice car. Im looking for one too. two questions....

how much did they eventually knock off ? and
    what made you choose CVT ?
    I am so torn between CVT or 6MT --- I cant even sleep - I need help

let me know !

Nice car OP, you're going to love it. Dealer said mid-grade is fine for the WRX, but I still use premium only in it.

rikdrt1, it really depends on what you want and what you will use the car for. With the 6-speed you'll get less weight, more performance, better fuel economy, etc. With the CVT you'll enjoy not having to constantly work the clutch in heavy traffic. Personally I would never get a performance-orientated vehicle with an automatic transmission, but I also don't mind a manual in heavy traffic.

Congrats on the new car, sbuarapha. I'm sure this is much more exciting than a v6 Camry.

Quote Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post

let me know !
    If you are comfortable with 6MT, get that. If you change your mind, I'm sure you will be able to sell easily. If you deal with heavy traffic regularly, get cvt. Don't worry about what others think. It's your ride.

good point kash - the resale of 6MT might be better 3-4yrs down the road than the CVT. I am coming from the Auto BRZ, and although its fun its not a MT. I do ride in some traffic but everyone I talk to doesn't seem to mind so what the heck - I think I just made up my mind with that - besides its a lot more fun. everyone tells me that.

you know, I see a lot of talk about CVT doing better in MPG but I wonder if its just because everyone with the MT is just driving it with full boost everywhere -- maybe if I drive it conservatively I will get just as good MPGs as the CVT. I cant seem to get a good answer or stats on that.

let me know !
    They knocked off 2000 off of msrp. They gave me 24000 for the trade. Another dealer was only going to give 23000. Car max 22000. So I look at it as they gave me an extra 1000.

To me it just more convenient and transmission is smoother than my camry. Manual I do have more fun on it that's for sure and feels faster than the cvt. But I guess I'm getting older and lazier plus my left knee seem to be getting bad. Plus I don't think I will be modding this car.. engine wise.

My advice is test both and choose which one meets your needs better. Both cars should have a strong resale. Just pick one and be happy with it

good point kash - the resale of 6MT might be better 3-4yrs down the road than the CVT. I am coming from the Auto BRZ, and although its fun its not a MT. I do ride in some traffic but everyone I talk to doesn't seem to mind so what the heck - I think I just made up my mind with that - besides its a lot more fun. everyone tells me that.

you know, I see a lot of talk about CVT doing better in MPG but I wonder if its just because everyone with the MT is just driving it with full boost everywhere -- maybe if I drive it conservatively I will get just as good MPGs as the CVT. I cant seem to get a good answer or stats on that.
    You may be on to something. I have been babying this car since I am still breaking it in. Intelligent mode is different. Haven't tried any other mode. Gas peddle seems touchy will rev up to 2500 with 30 percent or less throttle and then stay at 1500 rpm for as long as it can I think up to 55. I'll check this weekend. I only seen my boost go as high as 5 an not much more. Probably how I am getting good gas mileage.

When I drove my 2011 wrx I would always stomp on it just to kick the turbo in but shift around 3000 to 4000 rpm. But I got as high as 29 MPG traveling from Massachusetts to north carolina calculated on a tank.

One thing I notice is that when the car cruises at the 1500 rpm it seems very loud until I got to 65mph where it got quieter. Maybe that's the droning people are talking about.

I love the CVT. Lots of power, faster to 60 MPH than a STI, and I don't have to shift it other than paddle shifters if I so desire which I do often. OK, so I am 77 years old, but old guys like to have fun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sloco View Post
    I love the CVT. Lots of power, faster to 60 MPH than a STI, and I don't have to shift it other than paddle shifters if I so desire which I do often. OK, so I am 77 years old, but old guys like to have fun, too.
    Faster 0-60 than an sti? There is no way that's true

Quote Originally Posted by sloco View Post
    Glad you are enjoying your new car. Did you get premium or limited.
    Motor trend has the manual at 5.5seconds, 14.0 1/4 mile.
    StI 4.6 seconds to 60. 1/4 mile at 13.8
    CVT 5.8 seconds to 60, 1/4 mile at 14.5

where the cvt makes up on time is the figure 8. 25.5 seconds
    manual at 25.3 seconds
    STI 24.9 seconds
    Last edited by sbuarapha; 06-19-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Yes, you are right.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    Faster 0-60 than an sti? There is no way that's true
    I meant "faster than a WRX stick shift 0-60. The CVT makes 2 shifts while the Stick WRX takes 3 shifts to get to 60.

Thanks for the correction.

Bill

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.