I'm new and WTF!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm new and WTF!!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello people! So i recently sold my 2008 Mazda 3i sport.. I was looking at WRX's but found an STi ...

I'm new and WTF!!!!!

Hello people!

So i recently sold my 2008 Mazda 3i sport.. I was looking at WRX's but found an STi that i fell in love with and i talked them down to a price i couldn't pass up!!

This is my 2011 Subaru STi

Well i bought this car on June 6th at 6:00pm. 25 hours later(no kidding) the car breaks!
    I purchased it from a dealer, 40k miles on it.
    Saturday evening I'm diving down the freeway about 80mph, i make it about 5 miles before all the dash lights turn on and i lose power.
    I immediately pull over and the car has a rough idle and the motor is shaking and white smoke is coming out of the exhaust.
    looking at the car it seems completely stock aside from an Injen intake and a SPT exhaust.

The miles are low enough so it gets sent to Subaru to get looked over.. I receive a call today and they say the pistons in cylinders 2 and 4 MELTED!!

so i have 2 questions...
    1) Has anyone else had a problem with pistons melting? If yes, why and what happened?

2) I'm worried the dealer will try to say the intake caused it... is there anyway an intake could cause two piston to melt?

Thank you,
    Zoltan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like detonation has lead to piston overheating and melting. Can be caused by many things but usually mapping is to blame.
    2013 Subaru STI

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's what can happen if you try to run an aftermarket intake without having a proper tune for it. The MAF scaling was probably wayy off (I think I remember the Injen intake being worse than some of the others in that aspect). I would guess with the bad MAF readings from the intake the car was probably running excessively lean, causing cylinder temps to climb tremendously.. hot enough so that it melted the pistons.

I guess you could say mapping is to blame.. I mean, you weren't running the right MAF scaling in your map to safely use that intake.

That's why tuning is required when using virtually any intake other than stock.. hopefully the dealership won't give you too much grief about it. But running an intake with no tune, they certainly have plenty of reason to deny any warranty work to be done on the engine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did the dealer sell it to you with said modification on it? If so, are they listed in the bill of sale? Also, did they offer any type of warranty? Typically they will offer at least 30 days. Keep us posted.

Welcome, and sorry you had to deal with this so early on. As pointed out, that is why modifications need to be researched and done properly (not intended as a stab at you)!

I Support ClubWRX
    What troubles me is that they sold knowlingly and with the specific intent of road use, a car that at least in my state is not legal for road use. In the OP's state this could very well be just fine though, leaving the OP with little recourse I suppose. I'd still pursue warranty, if a Subaru dealer sold you a Subaru car with imitation parts installed and knew they were doing it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What troubles me is that they sold knowlingly and with the specific intent of road use, a car that at least in my state is not legal for road use. In the OP's state this could very well be just fine though, leaving the OP with little recourse I suppose. I'd still pursue warranty, if a Subaru dealer sold you a Subaru car with imitation parts installed and knew they were doing it.
    I don't know if that will fly very far. Usually its a case of "oh you didnt notice it had an aftermarket this" or they put a sign in the window that says "as is with no warranty" so they arent liable. but like 11blackSti said usually they give you some kind of month warranty rolling right off the lot unless it was some sketchy dealership.
    2013 Subaru STI

Thank you all for your responses.

Funny story i sold my mazda then bought the STi at a Mazda dealership xD
    I have never had a problem with this dealership in the past.. (mom, myslef and my brother) all bought a mazda from them.

I know they sent it to Subaru to see if it was a manufacturer default(so mazda doesnt have to spend time or money fixing it... im assuming)
    Buying the car from mazda they gave me a 4 year(or 48k mile) warranty on the car exactly how i bought it(which it had the intake and exhaust)
    I just don't know if i should be getting ready to buy a new motor or if since i got the warranty from Mazda i have nothing to worry about?

Supposing they do fix it, should i get a stock intake until i can get a chance to tune it?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If they do fix it under warranty (fingers crossed), I would just get a tune.. rather than spending more money on parts that you will probably want to get rid of in the future.

are you sure the warranty wasnt just a carry over before the person did the intake? id be kind of careful warranty work can be kinda iffy. I agree with mainframe get a tune after you get your car fixed. best of luck with the warranty.
    2013 Subaru STI

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    are you sure the warranty wasnt just a carry over before the person did the intake? id be kind of careful warranty work can be kinda iffy. I agree with mainframe get a tune after you get your car fixed. best of luck with the warranty.
    They told me the warranty was 4yr/48k mi from the day i bought the car. I even got the warranty that covers absolutly everything. So im hoping it will all work out. I really dont want to have to buy a new motor!!

Should i just tune with an Access Port or what?

Well in that case i think your golden if you bought the warranty when you bought the car. its the dealers problem if they didnt notice it had aftermarket parts(happens more than you would think). You could use a OTS on the accesport or take it to a performance shop and have them tune it for you. Trust me i know, i had to have my engine replaced not even a month ago on my 13 Sti and it would have been expensive as heck.
    2013 Subaru STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamouszoltan View Post
    should i get a stock intake until i can get a chance to tune it?
    Minimally. You might also do the math and add examine why exactly you'd want to keep any intake except the authentic Subaru intake anyway. If whatever increase in noise or power output is worth it to you, OK. From your story so far though I'd not want to see that intake anywhere, at any time, much less on my car. It's your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    First you need to tell us what the car has done to it, in regard to aftermarket. Downpipe? CBE? fuelpump? etc. Well if the warranty covers the repairs/new motor, just get a protune. that would be my opinion. but others may do it differently. it also depends on what you plan to do with the car in the future and in what time frame. give us some more info on your mods
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Minimally. You might also do the math and add examine why exactly you'd want to keep any intake except the authentic Subaru intake anyway. If whatever increase in noise or power output is worth it to you, OK. From your story so far though I'd not want to see that intake anywhere, at any time, much less on my car. It's your call.
    Yeah that's pretty much what i was thinking..

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthecleaner25 View Post
    First you need to tell us what the car has done to it, in regard to aftermarket. Downpipe? CBE? fuelpump? etc. Well if the warranty covers the repairs/new motor, just get a protune. that would be my opinion. but others may do it differently. it also depends on what you plan to do with the car in the future and in what time frame. give us some more info on your mods
    as far as i know it has an injen intake and spt exhaust.... aside from that i have no idea.. i had it 25 hours before it was sent to subaru and has been there waiting to hear back from the manufacturer... i havent even had a chance to wash the car!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast