My new 2015 WRX

This is a discussion on My new 2015 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a 2015 WRX. I waited for a year for the new model, but have been ...

My new 2015 WRX

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 WRX. I waited for a year for the new model, but have been a WRX admirer for many years. I will ultimately place this information in the technical section, however the site wanted me to go here first. The thing that I wanted to share with everyone is what is happening to the dashboard of my brand new car. Apparently, the design of the new dashboard includes an "airbag" located directly under the passenger side dashboard. Well, as per the design, the dashboard is not reinforced in this area allowing the air bag to deploy as designed. The problem is that the dashboard is literally sinking where the airbag is located. I've owned the car for approximately 6 weeks and I already have a hole in my dashboard. I visited the dealership yesterday and there was a STI also there for the same reason and his was twice as bad as mine. I get sick to my stomach every time I look to the right at this defect, I hope that Subaru will stand behind their product and fix this issue. However, if they continue selling this car to buyers knowing that this design flaw exists, than I don't know what to say. I know that others are having the same issue, because I just saw the proof yesterday. Please let me know what you are doing about this problem. I have an appointment with the factory representative at the end of the month, but this doesn't seem like a problem that can be easily fixed. If they replace the dashboard, the same exact thing will happen again. I have notified US Subaru corporation, but don't know how to proceed next...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

can you post a picture?

Unfortunately, no I'm at work. I will try to in the near future. I think this is going to get a lot of attention, because I'm going to make a lot of noise if it doesn't get corrected. The problem is, looking at this from an engineering/design perspective........this is the dashboard!!!! This is where they chose to put the airbag! This would be a complete redesign...like I said, I'm just sick about it!

Oh i understand, I'm starting to think i should cancel my order. this, the ecu issues and the people that are spinning bearings and throwing rods. its all kind of suspect.

I'd be pissed too.

Yes, I like I said...I feel so sick to my stomach. This is the first time in my life that I've purchased a brand new car. I've always purchased "2" years old, but I couldn't wait....now I'm terrified. What other issues have you heard, I just joined the site today. Thanks!

Engine Knock
    2015 WRX engine knock - NASIOC

ECU issues
    2015 WRX already ECU issues... - NASIOC

those are the two top ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxsie View Post
    ...I hope that Subaru will stand behind their product and fix this issue. However, if they continue selling this car to buyers knowing that this design flaw exists, than I don't know what to say...

... If they replace the dashboard, the same exact thing will happen again. I have notified US Subaru corporation, but don't know how to proceed next...
    Firstly, get some pics first thing tonight please!

It is also too early to suggest this is a design flaw. It is entirely possible that some sub par components were supplied and only affects a few vehicles, and I have no doubt that Subaru will correct it as a warranty issue. This will be true even if there has to be a global recall of some kind. Anything which could affect the safe operation of the airbag will be looked at by Subaru for sure, and no doubt any replacement will be sufficient to fix the problem. Relax, this is why there is a warranty.

FWIW you are the first I have heard of this. I would have expected to have seen it crop up on NASIOC if it were common.

The fa is spinning bearings now?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Firstly, get some pics first thing tonight please!

It is also too early to suggest this is a design flaw. It is entirely possible that some sub par components were supplied and only affects a few vehicles, and I have no doubt that Subaru will correct it as a warranty issue. This will be true even if there has to be a global recall of some kind. Anything which could affect the safe operation of the airbag will be looked at by Subaru for sure, and no doubt any replacement will be sufficient to fix the problem. Relax, this is why there is a warranty.

FWIW you are the first I have heard of this. I would have expected to have seen it crop up on NASIOC if it were common.
    +1
    As you all know, I work around a ton of these cars and have never seen this. Not discounting OP, but you might just be the unlucky 1 in a million who got a bad part. AFAIK there is really nothing new about how they have placed the airbag in the dashboard with a panel covering it like all cars do, I highly doubt that it is a "design flaw". Subaru engineering sets the bar for cars twice their price, and they don't leave their customers in the cold when the chips are down. I have full confidence in them making your situation right. Your warranty will be there for you don't worry.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

i am also interested in this issue, as my car is hitting port in three weeks

Thank you Raven Logics, maybe your name is true-- you are thinking logically and I am thinking with my heart. I love the car, but I don't want a car that deteriorates in the first six weeks of ownership. Thanks again for offering other suggestions as to why this is happening. To see three in one day though is not encouraging.

Thank you Rexx, I hope that what you're saying is true. However, I was lucky to see three of them yesterday, mine included. We are all supposed to meet the factory representative at the dealership at the end of the month. I hope that you're right. Would the bumper to bumper warranty really cover this type of thing?

^ yes

I Support ClubWRX
    I knew it...GR FTW!!! (jk I hope this works out for all involved)