New 2015 STI Launch Edition
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New 2015 STI Launch Edition within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Guys, I just purchased a 2015 Sti Launch edition. I have the gold rims is there any thing else ...

New 2015 STI Launch Edition Brake Dust

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 2015 Sti Launch edition. I have the gold rims is there any thing else besides ceramic brake pads that will help reduce brake dust? they get filthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by USMC-STI; 06-11-2014 at 04:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Once the wheels are clean I use Armor all Wheel protestant spray (i get it from autozone they have larger cans) its not bad gives the wheels a nice shine but when applying make sure the wheels are completely dry. I have known others to user wheel wax. Its cheaper then getting new brake pads.

This could have been more a detailing question then new brake pads.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I just installed ceramic pads this past weekend. Although they "reduce" brake dust, they don't eliminate it completely. Just FYI before you go spending 200 bucks on pads. They are nice and quiet though.

2011 SWP Sedan

Tuned by Keenan @ All Aspects / 322HP/330TQ
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...swp-sedan.html

Thanks for your input guys! I will definitely keep that in mind.

I agree. Waxing your wheels can make it where you literally wipe the brake dust off. Used to do this on my mom's audi tt roadster.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually thinking about applying Opticoat to my wheels. Might help...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Not sure if it helps, but my wrx 08 had similar issues with high dust from the standard pads.
    Fitted Drilled and Grooved discs and EBC red stuff pads and it has significantly cut the dust down.
    Fitted red stuff to my wifes 09 cooper s also and that again has reduced the dust alot

Hello, new to your site. I dont mean to hi-jack USMC's thread but I thought it would be good to add to same brake pad issues.

My son and I recently bought new Subarus. He bought an STi Launch Ed. and I bought a BRZ Limited. We both had a great time bombing around the Rockies.

I thought I would try researching brake dust issues for his new car. He says the wheels get dirty within 50 miles and that the dust is 'greasy'. I am not sure what or why the dust would be that way. I have no idea what type of pads are used on his new car, but I am guessing they are carbon-ceramic.

Any ideas why the dust would be greasy or oily? He said all four wheels have the same type of dust so its unlikely oil or grease from something else on the car.

Thanks,
    Last edited by jdp530; 06-16-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Once the wheels are clean I use Armor all Wheel protestant spray (i get it from autozone they have larger cans) its not bad gives the wheels a nice shine but when applying make sure the wheels are completely dry. I have known others to user wheel wax. Its cheaper then getting new brake pads.

This could have been more a detailing question then new brake pads.
    I used this on my launch edition wheels and I think they catch more brake dust now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    My friend with his 3 series (bmw's have heavy break dust issues) and I've had luck maybe just us. I have to make sure the wheels are totally dry then I use a good amount of spray to really coat the wheels and then let them dry for a good hour in the sun and over night if i wash around 5ish after work. Still have to try wheel wax but I still have not purchased it. No matter what brake dust and road grime will get on the wheels.

Yes brake pads can help but personally I wouldn't change new perfectly working pads just to get ones that produce less dust. Just something to look for when your due for a change.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Next wash I'll try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.