Replacement tires for stock summer tires.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Replacement tires for stock summer tires. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; LOVE my new 2015 rex!!. As i live in NH, can anyone suggest a not too expensive good hi performance ...

Replacement tires for stock summer tires.

LOVE my new 2015 rex!!. As i live in NH, can anyone suggest a not too expensive good hi performance all season tire for me to get before the weather turns. I was thinking of the Goodyear Eagle sport...anyone have any thoughts on that tire?
    Thanks
    Last edited by freddyyx; 06-09-2014 at 11:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you planning to also sell the oem tires or just swap them out? did you check to see how much a cheep set of wheel and winter tires are?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I was just going to dump them when I get the new tires.Putting them on the stock rims/

I was just going to dump them when I get the new tires.Putting them on the stock rims/

Since you live in a area that snows, I would urge you to consider a dedicated set winter tires and keeping summer tires for the summer.

All seasons tend to lack grip in the winter, and lack performance in the summer. They are also considered to be no season tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would go get a set on winter wheels and tires if you can if not just tires and have winter tires mounted. If you werent in New England then maybe I can see getting All seasons. Even in NJ I still swap out for winters. for an extra 3-4$ you can have 2 sets I would play it safe but thats just me. If you dont want to spend the money for a new set check to see is someone on IWSTI or NASIOC has a set of winters
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by freddyyx View Post
    LOVE my new 2015 rex!!. As i live in NH, can anyone suggest a not too expensive good hi performance all season tire for me to get before the weather turns. I was thinking of the Goodyear Eagle sport...anyone have any thoughts on that tire?
    Thanks
    Having experienced a WRX in a cold and snowy climate with both AS and winter tires, I would say 100% that winters are the best way to go. Not just for safety but also the fun factor!

I have ContiExtreme DWS on right now. They have decent handling characteristics for an AS but I can feel the sidewall movement when cornering with any kind of speed (an extra 3psi per corner has helped though). Apparently they are reasonable in the snow for an AS as well, and if I was looking for an all-year solution then I would consider them again. However, I didn't choose them (came with my rims) and am thinking about my options. I have heard that the Michelin Sport AS3 is as good as the stock summer tires but barely better then the stocks on ice and snow. For me, the option to run summers makes sense as I am running winters anyway. The question if you do this is simple - do you want an AS to cover an occasional snow dump outside of the winter season, or do you want the fun of a summer tire and park the car for 0-5 days per year when that happens?

I have blizzaks on cheap wheels from tirerack as my winter set. Had them for two seasons and still look new
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    I have heard very good things about both of these wheels.
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
    Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D

My buddy has a 535i xdrive with the Hakkapeliitta R2 tires, and that thing was amazing in 10 inches of snow as well as icy road cover after a ice storm. It drove very firm on dry pavement which i was supprised.

As for the dunlops, i have heard and read very good things about them.

Those are going to be my choices for when my car comes in on OEM wheels. I will have dedicated new summer wheel set as well.
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthecleaner25 View Post
    I have heard very good things about both of these wheels.
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
    Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D

My buddy has a 535i xdrive with the Hakkapeliitta R2 tires, and that thing was amazing in 10 inches of snow as well as icy road cover after a ice storm. It drove very firm on dry pavement which i was supprised.

As for the dunlops, i have heard and read very good things about them.

Those are going to be my choices for when my car comes in on OEM wheels. I will have dedicated new summer wheel set as well.
    Do you guys recommend switching out the wheels as well when going to winter tires? If so, where can I can some crappy rims? I feel like the rims on my '15 would get damaged from all the salt and chemicals on the road during the winter months.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRX_CVT View Post
    Do you guys recommend switching out the wheels as well when going to winter tires? If so, where can I can some crappy rims? I feel like the rims on my '15 would get damaged from all the salt and chemicals on the road during the winter months.
    If you don't mind the looks of steel black wheels, I would just buy those. If you want something nicer, then I would just surf the classifies here and NASOIC (and be patient) and eventually a nice set of stockers will come up for a reasonable price.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've been through a ton of tires living on twisty roads in the mountains where it snows (they only last my wife 15K, I go through them faster).

As far as fun, sure, on the snow day straight up winters are great. The rest of the days they are a huge compromise on fun.

I am currently using the Goodyear Ultra Grip - these get GREAT traction, but on a dry day they wallow around a lot like any real winter. Ultra Grip Winter Tire | Goodyear Tires

My favorite was a winter performance tire Pirelli Sottozero Serie II. They did much better than all seasons in the slippy stuff but not as good at getting me up or down the steep part of the drive with more than 3" compared to the Ultra Grip. They handled as well as a top end performance all season but had better traction. Nice predictable give and not all squirrely like a serious winter tire.

If I could trade my Ultra Grip for these again right now, I'd do it in a second.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ozero+Serie+II
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I'm in the DC metro area I assume I shouldn't get a set of wheels and tires for winter when it might snow once. Yes it might snow 7 times like last winter but still. I mean I'm not gonna go rush out have my wheels changed and TPMS reset before a predicted storm. I would think all seasons make more sense in areas where you have an occasional storm. Is this what people do outside those areas?

And I sorta feel that if I could find a solid set of All seasons that performed good in the snow I wouldn't waste time, space and money having two sets of tires and wheels.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I'm in the DC metro area I assume I shouldn't get a set of wheels and tires for winter when it might snow once. Yes it might snow 7 times like last winter but still. I mean I'm not gonna go rush out have my wheels changed and TPMS reset before a predicted storm. I would think all seasons make more sense in areas where you have an occasional storm. Is this what people do outside those areas?

And I sorta feel that if I could find a solid set of All seasons that performed good in the snow I wouldn't waste time, space and money having two sets of tires and wheels.
    It seems the majority here rush out to by full winters, but like you I think that is a waste of the cars potential on the majority of days when it is clear but cold and you are driving on big blocky treads. When there is only sporadic snow/ice and it is flat I think it is a waste. So while I understand where you are coming from, the thing with all seasons is that your summer performance will be pretty dramatically less. And your winter performance will be similar on the good days to winter performance tires (which have clunkier tread slightly but better compound) but considerably less on the bad days. A good set of summers on a separate set of wheels with another set of winter performance is the way to go anywhere it is cold but not too snowy - just change them over once at the beginning of the season.

All seasons vs summers in the summer is night and day, as is all season vs winter performance when it gets ****ty.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.