another "I'm new and need advice on car purchase" thread

This is a discussion on another "I'm new and need advice on car purchase" thread within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The car: 06 wrx with 61k miles on it for 000. Body and interior are flawless. Does have a damage ...

another "I'm new and need advice on car purchase" thread

The car: 06 wrx with 61k miles on it for $14000. Body and interior are flawless. Does have a damage disclosure for hail damage that has since been repaired. Tranny has been built as of about 30k miles and has act clutch and lighter flywheel, at about 50k miles it got full 3" exhaust, cobb tuner, intake, and 20g ball bearing turbo. No fuel mods, still stock intercooler. I'm a little worried about this even though he said its been set at 12psi. It also is the TR, so I believe has a little bit larger injectors. He said he has autox'd it a handful of times and taken it to the strip twice. I'm going to look at and drive it tomorrow. I plan to do a compression test before I even think about laying money on it. I asked how many punks have test drove it and hotrodded it around and he said only 2 test drives and he went with so they were well behaved.

Anything else I should be worried about? Or with that turbo and no fuel upgrades should I just run? Trust me if I buy it, it will be babied until at least 750cc/wally 255/new tune are on it.

My background, I've been building DSMs for 10 years, I'd buy them at a junkyard with broken timing belt, etc and build/sell them. I had a bad ass Talon that I sold a while back, fully built. The way I see it if I can keep a dsm running, I shouldn't have a problem keeping a rex running right? I hope...

Thanks for the hopefully positive input... "putting on flame retardant suit and locationg my extinguisher..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A few things scare me about the car, according to your post. The main thing is that with all of those mods, the cobb accessport(tuner) does not support them with any of the off the shelf (OTS) tunes. So I would be worried if the guy had a pro-tune on it, and if he didnt, was he running all of those mods with the stage 2 or stage 3 OTS map? Also, no fuel upgrades at all!!!!!!, Im not sure if the TR wrx's had a little bit larger injectors or not, but even if they did, they are no where large enough to run that turbo and all the other upgrades effectively. Another thing in question is the fact that the car only has 61K miles on it, and already has had the tranny replaced/rebuilt. This means one of two things, one; that he dogged the car all the time and launched it, which you better hope wasnt the case bc if he was ripping on the car with those mods wihout a proper tune there may be already irreversable damage to the engine, or two; he got the tranny built due to the fact of the power he would be making with these mods.

If you are set on this car, it seems you are heading the right direction, a leak down/compression test would most definetly be where to start. Also, ask him to change the oil, when he does see if he will do it with you there, then take the filter apart to see if there are any metal shavings in there from the bearings. If so, obviously walk away. Also, if you do buy and everything checks out on the engine and its healthy. I would go a little bigger injectors, 850cc would be ideal IMO. But another thing I would add to that list a electronic boost control solenoid, or a manual and ebcs hybrid set up and a pro-tune from a good reputible tuner. Best bet would be to find a good tuner that tunes subaru's, call him up and ask him what he would recommend in parts before the tune.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

The guy said the tranny was built before he bought it, and the nasty turbo didn't go on til later. And he did say the cobb tune was a stage 2, so if what you are saying is correct, that would be a canned tune. I will ask though.

I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt and go see the car. By meeting the kid in person I think I can get a better judgement of his character which will tell me alot about the way he has treated the car. I may just give him an offer on what its worth to me as it is and he can either take it or leave it.

What would you say is a good number for compression to be at that I should walk away from?

link to car:

2006 Subaru WRX
    ~Kerri

Well saying that he is running a stage 2 OTS tune from the accessport it bad news right from the start. Might still be worth looking into, but its a long shot. You need to know for sure EXACTLY what mods are done to the car. For instance, does it have a catted or a catless downpipe? What brand intake? Aftermarket exhaust manifold and uppipe? etc. From the looks of the pics, I cannot tell what intake that is. Cobb only supports their SF intake or the AEM intakes on their tunes. And even if one of those intake were on the car, those maps do not support aftermarket 20g turbos and who knows what other mods are on the car. It NEEDS to be pro-tuned and have the fuel delivery beefed up for that turbo. What is mind boggling is that he told you it is only running 12psi. If that is the case then it almost would have to be pro-tuned. To be honest, sounds like this kid had no idea what he was doing and is just trying to get out from under this car. Run.

And good compression numbers for our cars is usually around 142 to 170 lbs of cranking compression with no more than 10% difference between any of the cylinders.

Good luck!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

bummer. But I needed to hear that. I'll ask a bit more...
    ~Kerri

After looking a little closer and reading the description it seems that the intake is indeed a cobb intake. Now that really doesnt mean anything for this car, as all of the other mods listed such as the equal length header, bigger turbo, etc still REQUIRE a pro-tune. Dont buy this car..........
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Ok. Well I'm going to see it anyways cause I'll kick myself if I don't...been on the hunt for a rex awhile and this one really caught my eye. If compression checks out fine and car feels good with nothing noticeably wrong, what kind of offer would you think might be reasonable or realistic?

Thanks for your help so far. Maybe I'll have to expand my search area.
    ~Kerri

Honestly, if you are going to pursue this car still, I would find out if it has been pro-tuned. And if it has, get the name, location, and number of the tuner. Call him up anf ask him about this car, anything you should know about, etc. If the car has been pro-tuned and is legit, then 13-14k might not be a bad price granted that everything else on the car is perfect. (interior/exterior)

However, with there being no fuel upgrades and boost control upgrades for the larger turbo, I am 99.99 percent sure that it has not been protuned. And if thats the case, I wouldnt trade my huffy for that car. Extend your search area man. Find a non molested wrx. Or at least a lightly modded wrx that has been modded the RIGHT way. It will be worth your time and your wallet wont suffer as bad. Walk away from this car.......
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

I thought I'd update if anyone was curious. I ended up buying an 06 WRX limited with 72k miles, bone stock other than DVD head unit. Bonus.. Clear title!!! So happy with the car. Had to travel about 400 miles to get it but well worth it. Let the modding begin!! *insert psychotic and slightly evil laugh here*
    ~Kerri