wheels for winter tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wheels for winter tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi. I'm a newbie to this post. Have a 2015 WRX Ltd WRB 6MT, and want to get winter wheels ...

I Support ClubWRX

Talking wheels for winter tires

Hi. I'm a newbie to this post. Have a 2015 WRX Ltd WRB 6MT, and want to get winter wheels and tires. I have a 14 Forester with Bridgestone Battlax and, in Maine, they work just fine.
    My usual source, Tire Rack, doesn't show any choices for my WRX. I need some input for wheels and tires. I don't want to sacrifice handling, and prefer a black wheel. Suggestions, and also other sources. Thanx
    Mike A.
    Hampden, Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, you can search for a 2014 STI on tire rack and you will get options that fit our cars. They switched up the 2015 WRXs so that they have the same bolt pattern as the STIs now.
    Last edited by gizmo0034; 06-27-2014 at 04:09 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a cheap set get some CRV steel wheels

2015 Winter Wheels
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep looking for alloys!

I found a discount set at TR for just over (like $5/wheel) the price of steel wheels with hub cabs (yuck)! Discontinued, called Sport TA or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Keep looking for alloys!

I found a discount set at TR for just over (like $5/wheel) the price of steel wheels with hub cabs (yuck)! Discontinued, called Sport TA or some such.

Yeah i'm looking for specific examples in this area. I have a '15 wrx as well. I was told to take the rims off along with the summer tire and put crappy rims and winter tires on for the winter obviously. I'm looking for recommendations. THanks

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRX_CVT View Post
    Yeah i'm looking for specific examples in this area. I have a '15 wrx as well. I was told to take the rims off along with the summer tire and put crappy rims and winter tires on for the winter obviously. I'm looking for recommendations. THanks
    In my experience the stock wheel paint is not great (just like the design, LOL). Mine currently have X-Ice 3 winter tires on them as in my opinion, they are my crappy winter rims. I have shed over 6lbs per wheel by getting a set of Oz Ultraleggeras. If you want lighter than stock or care about you summer wheels getting paint chips then I would suggest going in the same direction. The downside is that if you kerb a wheel in winter then you'll have a more expensive replacement bill than using a steel or cheap allow rim... and that paint will chip more in winter

Keep in mind that you will always have a softer and less responsive ride with ANY winter tire. The X-Ice 3 are pretty stable and I am happy with the choice so far. I could tell I was on winter tires but even as the spring temperatures arrived the car handled well when given a bit of stick (keep in mind I used them during the break-in period so wasn't overly aggressive). I have been told that one of the Blizzaks (LM25?) might offer a firmer ride, but a the cost of durability and a little ice traction. That was critical to me - I can handle snow all day long, but the icy conditions are what I want help with. Winter tires can be good on ice and snow, but not great at both - so pick what suits your area and driving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am leaning towards either the Blizzak or Michelin Ice and putting them on the stock rims. Then next spring treating myself to a nice set of fair weather rims. Honestly, I am vain about using steel wheels as they are fugly.

Quote Originally Posted by guzziman View Post
    I am leaning towards either the Blizzak or Michelin Ice and putting them on the stock rims. Then next spring treating myself to a nice set of fair weather rims. Honestly, I am vain about using steel wheels as they are fugly.
    Yeah, I can't deal with steel rims either. For the Blizzacks there are two types, the LM and WS. The WS supposedly gives better snow and ice traction but will feel more sloppy and wear quickly in other conditions. The LM will still be far better in snow and ice than any all season tire, but can come with higher speed ratings and better dry performance. I am not sure about the wear. Xi3 reviews suggested that it was better than the LM on ice and had a much better wear rating, but without giving up too much dry performance. I can vouch for the Xi3 in the dry on the 2015 - they are fine, just a touch of sloppiness, and they got me through a couple of days of slush without any drama. I can also vouch for the WS60 in smaller width applications (wife's old car) - solid winter performance and fine in the dry on a small vehicle, but my tire guy advised they would wear more quickly if I were the main driver (especially on a WRX). He actually suggested using the LM as an all-round performance winter tire as did my Subaru rep.

Keep in mind that some people successfully use AS through harsh winters, and any winter tire is going to be better when it gets colder. I used a budget Kumho on my '08 WRX and they were still superior to the stock AS.

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    Raven logics, any pics of the OZ Ultraleggeras?
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't overlook Dunlop Winter Maxx. Amazing tire in snow good on ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Another that I have used for the past 3 New England winters, General Altimax Arctic winter tires.
    At the time I purchased them they were one of the least expensive. I can honestly say I will buy
    again. I should be able to get another winter easily. The size I run is 205/50R17 with some cheap
    Sport Tuning T10 wheels.
    Last edited by Rodman; 06-11-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Arctics are the best in my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthecleaner25 View Post
    Raven logics, any pics of the OZ Ultraleggeras?
    The colour was just for fun as I was always thinking about getting a set of the Leggera's in 18x8. The gold is growing on me though (I wish they were 18's) so might hold off for a while and put the summer tires on them. These were posted some time ago, I really need to get some better pics

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    I love the wheels, looks like they will be contenders for summer wheels 18s though. Leaning towards Gold on ISM.
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthecleaner25 View Post
    I love the wheels, looks like they will be contenders for summer wheels 18s though. Leaning towards Gold on ISM.
    18's for sure - I wanted 17's because of the rutted roads we have here, but with hindsight I think 18's would be much better in every aspect. I got a sweet deal though so the wife is super happy with the choice, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast