wheels for winter tires - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wheels for winter tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yes, i will keep the stocks as my winters and just go all out on my summers. But keeping the ...

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    Yes, i will keep the stocks as my winters and just go all out on my summers. But keeping the domestic boss is always a must.
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Where did you order them through?

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthecleaner25 View Post
    Where did you order them through?
    I bought them privately. Some guy ordered a set from Tire Rack, imported them into Canada, put them on his STI while waiting for a '15 WRX, and then decided he wanted a set of BBS wheels instead. I paid less than half his invoice price and I don't think he was exaggerating when he said they had seen about 150 miles of use - not a mark on them and the new tire nubs hadn't even worn off

WOW, lucky you. nice pic up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Don't overlook Dunlop Winter Maxx. Amazing tire in snow good on ice.
    ^ This. Loved mine this winter.
    2014 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I am narrowing my decision on wheels/tires, have some ? Teach me. Wheel offset. Stock is ? on 2015 WRX limited should I change to different offset? why? what is best

Also, some wheels are cast, some machined, some are lighter (18 lbs) some heavier (22, 24 lbs etc). The roads I travel in Maine are rough and potholed, so I need ones that are durable if possible. Am looking at Sparco Assetto Gara either Gold painted or Black painted from Tire Rack. Thanks for opinions
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by guzziman View Post
    I am narrowing my decision on wheels/tires, have some ? Teach me. Wheel offset. Stock is ? on 2015 WRX limited should I change to different offset? why? what is best

Also, some wheels are cast, some machined, some are lighter (18 lbs) some heavier (22, 24 lbs etc). The roads I travel in Maine are rough and potholed, so I need ones that are durable if possible. Am looking at Sparco Assetto Gara either Gold painted or Black painted from Tire Rack. Thanks for opinions
    Mike
    Stock wheels are 17x8 ET+55, and weight around 24lbs. Bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

Here is what I "think":

Assume that you go for an 8" wide rim like stock - ET+45 will bring the wheel out by 1cm and +65 will take them in by 1cm. You definitely don't want to take them in (not that you are likely to find anything which will do this), but you can comfortably go up to ET+45. I am not sure what the cut off is. I think +45 to +48 fill out the wheel well a little better that +55. Some people might go with a lower offset for a more stanced look, but just make sure that the wheels are not going to start rubbing the arches.

If you change the width that will affect the stance as well. At 7.5" width you wheels will appear to move inwards by a 1/4", so you might allow 6mm less on the offset for that. Likewise, if you went for a 8.5 width you might not want to go too low. Really just find a set you like and are listed to fit and you'll be good.

Weight has other variations. Lighter will spin up more quickly, but heavier might soak up the bumps a little better. Too light and you'll use more gas on the highway (less momentum from a reduced flywheel effect - how much I don't know), too heavy and you'll use more gas everywhere. Mine are 6.5lbs lighter than stock (each) and I "think" I notice that I need a touch more throttle at times to maintain speed, but in return the car feels lighter and more nimble. The car felt bumpy with both the light wheels and the stock ones, lol.

I Support ClubWRX

Question

Thanks a lot!!! E.T. stands for ??

Mike

Thanks a lot!!! E.T. stands for ??
    ET is from the German "Einpresstiefe", meaning insertion depth or something similar. It's the offset figure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your thoughts re forged vs cast? Thank you v.m.

Your thoughts re forged vs cast? Thank you v.m.
    My thoughts are that a good wheel is a good wheel. Oz and Enkei make some cast wheels which are supposed to be as strong as forged wheels. I have never had a forged wheel nor have I ever had a cast wheel go wrong on me. Go with whatever makes you feel comfortable in my opinion

I just installed a set of Enkei T6S wheels. Do not want the OEM black wheels (plan on selling them). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5150PSem.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	156033

I Support ClubWRX
    wat are u asking for the stock wheels. I need a set for winter tires.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.