CVT?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CVT? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jbx The fun begins. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 subaru wrx. I really ...

CVT?

Quote Originally Posted by jbx View Post
    The fun begins.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 subaru wrx. I really want to get the CVT and I was wondering how does it drive? Does it hurt performance compared to a manual a lot? I have never driven a manual in my life and I don't want the hassle of finding someone to teach me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru noob View Post
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 subaru wrx. I really want to get the CVT and I was wondering how does it drive? Does it hurt performance compared to a manual a lot? I have never driven a manual in my life and I don't want the hassle of finding someone to teach me.
    Welcome!
    You really need to start your own thread in the new member hangout forum, rather than hijack somebody else's intro thread.
    So I moved your post to its own thread.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Driving a CVT is going to be a very different experience from a manual. From what I've heard /read the CVT on the WRX is very nice... For a cvt. But it is a very different experience. That doesn't mean its a bad experience but definitely different.

For most enthusiasts though, not having a manual transmission on a car like the WRX is practically blaspheme because a driving experience that feels most connected to the car and road is usually most desirable. If that's your passion than most likely the CVT will not provide the best experience. If that's not your passion (as it seems for you since you're not very interested in learning manual) then that is why they make the cvt and will likely provide you with the best experience.

Most folks who can drive manual will drive manual on a WRX given the choice. The exceptions would normally be you share the car with your significant other who won't drive manual, you daily drive where the traffic is horrendous and dread the shifting in bumper to bumper traffic, or you're just not really a man. ( just kidding about the last one)

I think you certainly should go test drive a cvt WRX and see what you think because that's the only way you will know for sure. It's definitely worth a try though.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

The CVT is great but the 6MT is Awesome! Driving a Manuel is not that hard but you do need to learn how to do it. All Manuel's are going to be different in different cars due to make and engine etc... So my point being as long as have good coordination its really not that hard to learn and I would encourage you to try learning a Manuel before being the CVT, Like what was said above, Unless you have lots of traffic or a Spouse that wont let you get a 6MT then you owe it to yourself to learn a 6MT before buying a Auto since this is most likely going to be your 2nd largest purchase next to a house and you don't want buyers remorse

Good Luck

Questions for 2015 CVT Owners (1 for veteran owners)

I had similar concerns see my above post.

Quote Originally Posted by subaru noob View Post
    I just bought a '15 CVT and love it. I drove the CVT version for an entire weekend before I went out to purchase one this past weekend. I love it. Fast, handles great, great looking, get the "waves" from every WRX owner as I drive by. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Its very quick in S# mode. I also have a 2014 Legacy which has CVT and there is obviously a big difference in favor of the WRX. I would completely recommend the CVT version.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRX_CVT View Post
    I just bought a '15 CVT and love it. I drove the CVT version for an entire weekend before I went out to purchase one this past weekend. I love it. Fast, handles great, great looking, get the "waves" from every WRX owner as I drive by. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Its very quick in S# mode. I also have a 2014 Legacy which has CVT and there is obviously a big difference in favor of the WRX. I would completely recommend the CVT version.
    Wish I can have a CVT WRX for the weekend too before buying one. That's a much better way to really experience a car than a 10 min test drive with a dealer sales guy next to you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kashwrx View Post
    Wish I can have a CVT WRX for the weekend too before buying one. That's a much better way to really experience a car than a 10 min test drive with a dealer sales guy next to you.
    Well, you can get a lot out of a test drive if you ask. On all my test drives, I make sure they include city traffic, country highways, and major freeways, so I can test city manners, handling, and highway cruising. Freeway onramps tell a lot about acceleration. A lot of dealers I've worked with offered an empty parking lot so I could slam on the brakes, test the turning circle, etc.

If you're serious of getting the car, you have the right to test the car in all aspects of NORMAL driving. Obviously, don't joyride the car under any circumstances or waste the dealers time if it's obvious you don't like it. For some cars, just driving around the block was enough to make up my mind.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

It's nice.
    Make sure you test drive both the MT and CVT WRX as well as DSG GTI, so you know exactly what the CVT can and cannot do.

CVT is boring
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    CVT is boring
    Exactly. If you wanna have fun in your car get a manual. im not sold on paddle shifts in any vehicle with the exception of the Nissan GTR ($100,000 is alittle out of my price range though)and some exotic cars.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

I test-drove both the MT and the CVT 2015 WRX. I like having the extra control of the manual, but the CVT is still a very fun car to drive. The transmission was smart enough to do what I wanted it to do most of the time in auto mode. In the CVT's manual mode, the paddle shifters are cool and the pseudo gear changes are very fast.

You do lose some performance going with the CVT. Car and Driver got the MT WRX to go 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, while the CVT takes 5.9 seconds. The faster time is mostly resulting from their dumping the clutch at 5k RPM. The CVT won't let you do that… On a less abusive start the MT hits 60 in about 5.5, which isn't that much quicker than the CVT.

Other than launching from a stand still, I can't imagine you'd notice much of a power difference between the two. The WRX is a fun car no matter what transmission you get. Buy the one that works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    Exactly. If you wanna have fun in your car get a manual. im not sold on paddle shifts in any vehicle with the exception of the Nissan GTR ($100,000 is alittle out of my price range though)and some exotic cars.
    If the OP doesn't drive a manual and doesn't want to learn then he's going to have fun in the CVT. It's the same car with the same characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    If the OP doesn't drive a manual and doesn't want to learn then he's going to have fun in the CVT. It's the same car with the same characteristics.
    Everyone should learn to drive manual because eventually it will come in handy when it comes to either work or your buddy just got a sweet car thats manual only and says you can drive it. i just think the cvt is boring compared to a manual which is faster and gives you a better feeling of your vehicle vs a computer doing everything for you. my personal opinion though.
    2013 Subaru STI

I live in igloos and hunt seals with my pet polar bear Jean Claude Van Damme.

The CVT is fine. Sure a manual is "sporty" but when are you ever going to need it to be more "sporty" than it already is?

If you want a DD that is fun and carefree then a CVT is fine.

If you want a DD that you take to the track, use to impress kids that can barely afford a used civic, and be a hassle if you just wish for once your girlfriend or wife would drive when your stuck in traffic then get the MT.

Sure you lose the "feel of the road," yet who really gives a crap if you spend half the time in traffic and the other half in a mall parking lot.

If you really need to "feel sporty" then buy a helmet and wear it while you drive.

Ive seen many people with a MT who really cant drive their car to its full potential anyway and im sure most of the MT owners couldn't drive the CVT to its limits as well, yet would most likely blame the CVT for their lack of ability.

Therefore, buy the car that makes you happy. No one who truly matters is going to care.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.