CVT? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CVT? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; all positive for CVT and all negative for manual thats cute. considering the CVT is slower, anyone with a foot ...

all positive for CVT and all negative for manual thats cute. considering the CVT is slower, anyone with a foot and 2 hands could drive it to the max, your wife i would hope knows how to drive a manual(mine sure does), and since when did having a sportier car become a crime? driving manual is an art that takes awhile to perfect, CVT is a different experience. learn how to drive a manual and be happy you have the connection with your vehicle. Like TheJ said if driving/your car is your passion manual is the way to go, if not get the CVT.
    2013 Subaru STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The OP asked for opinions and that's what we did. Have a nice day!
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Im just being positive about the CVT because everyone else is so negative.

My wife can drive a MT but since she is 4'9" and finds it to be a bit too tedious to make it worth her time since she literally spends 3 hours a day stuck in traffic. The first car i got her when we got married was a MT and she wasn't fond of it even though she loved the car. She drives my jeep all of the time without issue as well, yet never on paved roads. So she can drive one when the vehicle and conditions suite her.

Driving an MT on a track is an "art," yes. However, in stop in go traffic, its so easy that it can can be done while eating jack in the box tacos and that's where most of these cars will see there time.

As for the connection with my vehicle i could care less. Its a DD not my hunting rig, not my towing rig, nor is it my toy. If it was one of those things then yes it would be an MT hence why i said he should by what he wants to buy and not care what others think. Do i care if my car is slower than the MT? No because if i wanted to i could just sell a unit and buy another car. He may not have that freedom so why make him feel like an MT is the only way to go.

I guess it would depend on what kind of town you live in also considering where I live it's awesome to have a fast car on backroads. I'm not saying it's the only way to go, if I was trying to force my way I would say buy an STI but I'm not. Just telling him it's 2 different experiences is all. I have drove both of my buddies cvt and mt and I personally like the mt. However my buddy who drives it loves the heck out of it, so I guess it's preference.
    2013 Subaru STI

I have the CVT and love it. Drive great! Great gas mileage too if you care for that sorta thing. Putting it in sport mode and then using the paddle shifters is fun too. Most MT guys wouldn't care for CVT but from my perspective its a great car either way.

I personally loved the MT as well but chose the CVT so that my wife could have the car when i get tired of this one. Its my family car for now and does a fine job of it.

Im personally waiting for the STi to get an upgraded engine and then im out of the WRX and will need a longer driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    The CVT is fine. Sure a manual is "sporty" but when are you ever going to need it to be more "sporty" than it already is?

If you want a DD that you take to the track, use to impress kids that can barely afford a used civic, and be a hassle if you just wish for once your girlfriend or wife would drive when your stuck in traffic then get the MT.

Sure you lose the "feel of the road," yet who really gives a crap if you spend half the time in traffic and the other half in a mall parking lot.

If you really need to "feel sporty" then buy a helmet and wear it while you drive.

Ive seen many people with a MT who really cant drive their car to its full potential anyway and im sure most of the MT owners couldn't drive the CVT to its limits as well, yet would most likely blame the CVT for their lack of ability.
    These comments make it seem as there is a night and day difference between MT and CVT. The CVT isn't any less "sporty". It isn't going to impress people any less than the MT. Wearing a helmet doesn't make anything feel sporty. And to sum it up, what does being able to drive a car at it's limits have to do with anything? The choice is simple - if you want an MT then buy an MT, if you want an automatic then buy the CVT. The cars are otherwise very similar, even with the slightly different AWD system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    all positive for CVT and all negative for manual thats cute. considering the CVT is slower, anyone with a foot and 2 hands could drive it to the max, your wife i would hope knows how to drive a manual(mine sure does), and since when did having a sportier car become a crime? driving manual is an art that takes awhile to perfect, CVT is a different experience. learn how to drive a manual and be happy you have the connection with your vehicle. Like TheJ said if driving/your car is your passion manual is the way to go, if not get the CVT.
    The CVT is only slower because it won't allow abusive takeoffs. The manual isn't any "sportier" - the difference in acceleration is only going to be minimal once you are moving, and it can go in either direction depending on how quickly the driver can change gears. The only difference in connection is having a clutch. I prefer it - that's why I have the manual - and the reason I have the WRX is that all other AWD family sport sedans I could afford only came in automatic. I don't think I have a superior car over the CVT, just the one I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    I personally loved the MT as well but chose the CVT so that my wife could have the car when i get tired of this one. Its my family car for now and does a fine job of it.
    And this is how to make the choice - people should go for what works for them, not what others on the internet say. I read posts where people are slating each other for their choices a lot (especially on NASIOC), but those guys are not financing my purchase. To the OP - go drive the CVT 3 or 4 times until you are familiar with it. At that point you will have an idea about if it's right for you or not.

well said
    2013 Subaru STI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    These comments make it seem as there is a night and day difference between MT and CVT. The CVT isn't any less "sporty". It isn't going to impress people any less than the MT. Wearing a helmet doesn't make anything feel sporty. And to sum it up, what does being able to drive a car at it's limits have to do with anything? The choice is simple - if you want an MT then buy an MT, if you want an automatic then buy the CVT. The cars are otherwise very similar, even with the slightly different AWD system.

The CVT is only slower because it won't allow abusive takeoffs. The manual isn't any "sportier" - the difference in acceleration is only going to be minimal once you are moving, and it can go in either direction depending on how quickly the driver can change gears. The only difference in connection is having a clutch. I prefer it - that's why I have the manual - and the reason I have the WRX is that all other AWD family sport sedans I could afford only came in automatic. I don't think I have a superior car over the CVT, just the one I want.

And this is how to make the choice - people should go for what works for them, not what others on the internet say. I read posts where people are slating each other for their choices a lot (especially on NASIOC), but those guys are not financing my purchase. To the OP - go drive the CVT 3 or 4 times until you are familiar with it. At that point you will have an idea about if it's right for you or not.
    Hey guys thank you for all of your input. For clarification purposes its not that I am lazy or as one person put it not a "man", but its just that no one I know owns a manual car to teach me. The only person that can is my girlfriend and due to unforseen circumstances had to get rid of her manual car and buy an automatic one. I have tried to look for driving schools in my area to see if they have a manual car, but unfortunately they do not. I think I will test drive the cvt as more WRX's come to Sacramento dealerships and take it from there.

I don't think using an automatic takes away from the driving experience because if it did Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren would still make them. Just a thought.

It would be nice to compare the AWD systems between the CVT and MT.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMike View Post
    It would be nice to compare the AWD systems between the CVT and MT.
    I've got you covered.

6MT AWD system incorporates a 50:50 torque split with a viscous coupling center differential. This type of differential is passive, cannot fully lock, and is speed sensitive.

CVT AWD system incorporates a hydraulic transfer clutch and a planetary gearset. The Torque split is set at 45:55 front to rear. Unlike the viscous coupler in the 6MT version, the hydraulic transfer clutch can actively vary the amount of torque transfer deemed necessary by the TCU.

Technically, the CVT AWD is the superior system.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I've got you covered.

6MT AWD system incorporates a 50:50 torque split with a viscous coupling center differential. This type of differential is passive, cannot fully lock, and is speed sensitive.

CVT AWD system incorporates a hydraulic transfer clutch and a planetary gearset. The Torque split is set at 45:55 front to rear. Unlike the viscous coupler in the 6MT version, the hydraulic transfer clutch can actively vary the amount of torque transfer deemed necessary by the TCU.

Technically, the CVT AWD is the superior system.
    Lots of CVT haters totally ignore this disadvantage of the manual drivetrain in the WRX. It's nice to have a little bit more rear-bias in an AWD car to minimize understeer, and the superior system with the CVT can make quite a difference in low-traction situations as well.

I prefer a manual, but my wife can't drive one (and sometimes it really comes in handy to be able to pass off the car). I tried lots of automatics when car shopping (hated a good number of them). The CVT in the WRX is one of the best ones I drove. No loss of power while shifting ratios, a really quick response, and it's pretty fun to shift using the flappy paddles.

Pick the transmission you prefer…the car is a blast to drive no matter how you shift.
    2015 WRX Premium CVT in WR Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mikepj View Post
    Lots of CVT haters totally ignore this disadvantage of the manual drivetrain in the WRX. It's nice to have a little bit more rear-bias in an AWD car to minimize understeer, and the superior system with the CVT can make quite a difference in low-traction situations as well.
    While the system might be more advanced from a technical viewpoint, any real-world gains might be unlikely. From what I have heard the rear bias is required to match the automatic box and give a similar handling characteristics to the system in the manual. Also, while it can handle back to front power transfer better than the manual it might not handle side to side transfer well. If this is true then you gain in one way and lose in another.

I have both systems in my garage - I notice plenty of understeer in the CVT Forester which I believe has the same AWD system as the CVT WRX, but don't remember it being as bad in the manual version with the 50/50 system (when test driving). I also don't notice any understeer in the manual '15 WRX. YMMV

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    While the system might be more advanced from a technical viewpoint, any real-world gains might be unlikely. From what I have heard the rear bias is required to match the automatic box and give a similar handling characteristics to the system in the manual. Also, while it can handle back to front power transfer better than the manual it might not handle side to side transfer well. If this is true then you gain in one way and lose in another.

I have both systems in my garage - I notice plenty of understeer in the CVT Forester which I believe has the same AWD system as the CVT WRX, but don't remember it being as bad in the manual version with the 50/50 system (when test driving). I also don't notice any understeer in the manual '15 WRX. YMMV
    Respectfully, I disagree. The shortcomings of the viscous coupler can be identified both in inclement conditions and spirited driving segments. Frankly, the VCU is an inferior system, which is why the WRX remains one of the very few AWD implementations to incorporate viscous coupling. The advantages are cost and reliability. The rearward torque bias will be evident in normal spirited driving as well. I drove a 2015 WRX back-to-back with my STi and I could feel the differences in dynamics due to the torque bias (I am fairly confident that the differences were not due to other factors such as DCCD, ATV calibration, and suspension layout). Granted, the STi has a bit more aggressive torque bias at 41% front and 59% rear.

That being said, I agree that the rearward torque bias does not really mitigate understeer. Proper chassis tuning and suspension alignment will help with the understeer. However, the rearward bias does feel definitively more sporty. This is a good read for you chaps: Limited Slip Differential and eLSD FAQ!

FYR, neither WRX can handle side-side torque transfer outside brake modulation. Only the STi with Torsen differentials can accomplish this.

Facebook me here

zax
    My main concern with the VCU in the WRX is primarily during throttle-on and inclement conditions.

By nature of the hydraulic transfer clutch, the CVT WRX can more effectively put power to the ground during throttle-on and hard acceleration as it will increase the binding force between the front and rear wheels. This is also the case when driving in snow or gravel. The VCU is not capable of this.

Facebook me here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast