Newbie Questions :)!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions :)!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello clubWRX... I wanted to get some quick answers about this situation. I'm 16 1/2 and in August i'm getting ...

Question Newbie Questions :)!!

Hello clubWRX... I wanted to get some quick answers about this situation. I'm 16 1/2 and in August i'm getting my license and a car. So I wanted to know a few things. My uncle owns and have been owning STI's since I was a child recently he bought a 2015 wrx sti launch edition, He texted me telling me i should look into a 2002 WRX because of how reliable and safe they are. But i've done TONS and TONS of research and people are saying just stick to a civic or an Intergra because of the fact that we are teenagers. I understand that. But is this what I want to know. Is this a good idea ? Do you think that a 02 WRX is a good First car ? My uncles and cousins told me they would teach me stuff i need to know. But from your point of view, do you think I should get this car ? And i'm not worried about the insurance I seen how much it'll be. Please no hate, just a guy looking for advice. And also. I fell in love with this car the moment I saw it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dog
    I'd just save up the extra cash and get a 2005. If they're saying everything they are saying save up and get a good clean 2005 wrx

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Why 2005?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this a good idea?
    No.

Get a Corolla or Civic or for a bit more, a Camry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not discouraging you in any way. I am saying this out of experience and knowledge of the cost to maintain and own a wrx/sti. Get a 2.5i or 2.5rs. These are non-turbo imprezas and are fun subarus with awd and a similar drive train to the wrx. You get a fun peppy car that will get you ready to drive a wrx when you can afford it. (I don't know your financial situation, but to insure, gas, maintain, fix issues, etc - is not cheap). Just my thoughts.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i would not recommend it if you are just getting your license or as a first car. i purchased my wrx at 17, but by that time i had already been driving for 3 years and it was my 4th car. i started out with an 87 accord for $500. get a beater, learn the roads, get comfortable & after a few years look at something a little more "exciting"

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i purchased my wrx at 17, but by that time i had already been driving for 3 years and it was my 4th car.
    How is that possible? Are laws in florida different? Isn't the legal age to get a licence 16?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    How is that possible? Are laws in florida different? Isn't the legal age to get a licence 16?
    yes but you get your permit at 15

desiree

yes but you get your permit at 15
    17-15 = 3?? I know what you mean tho, I wasn't rounding up.

On topic, I would recommend a beater as well. Something slow, a Nissan Sentra GXE (not the Spec V) was my first car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    17-15 = 3?? I know what you mean tho, I wasn't rounding up.
    sorry, 2 years & 8 months mr. technical lol (got permit when i was 15 [january birthday]. got wrx when i was 17 [september so i would have been 4 months shy of 18 which ='s almost 3 years)

desiree

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    sorry, 2 years & 8 months mr. technical lol (got permit when i was 15 [january birthday]. got wrx when i was 17 [september so i would have been 4 months shy of 18 which ='s almost 3 years)

Anyway, OP, I started on a stick shift chevy silverado 1500. Then a base cobalt. Then a 2.3 Mazda 3. Then I finally bought my own car at 17 I think it was; an RSX. Then finally my WRX.

Out of what I owned, the best starter cars were definitely the truck and RSX. Cheap-er insurance for both, cargo space for both, MPG in the acura, lack of mpg in the truck, flowmasters in the truck. I remember going to the drive-in theater with all my friends, we'd carry a lot of stuff in the back of my truck and sit in the bed all night. I'm going to skip my big long paragraph about first cars, I dont have time to type it. But the main point is: it's about what you do with the vehicles, not the vehicle itself. Get something that dosn't matter, drive it a couple years, then work your way up to something "better."

Check this thread out: "I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car? People recommend beaters for a reason, but they didn't always have them as a first car

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    I would recommend against it. At 16 i drove between a stick explorer and outback, and then a 04 explorer and 02 stick impreza obs. Learn the ways of the road first, then add the power and prestige.
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok here is my take. My first car was a 1984 z28 camaro i bought and rebuilt with my uncle. Didn't need much but a new block, so we build a pretty beefy 5.7L and paired it with a stock 5 speed. Damn, that was a fun quick first car. It was a great learning experience as I was always working on it and fixing it myself. The bad was that I accrued 4 speeding tickets in just over 3 years, my first being just 4 weeks after we finished the car and that was only 2 months after I got my license. So, I got my license taken away for a month and a half only 2 months in... Looking back, I wouldn't change it for the world. I loved that car, it was a POS at times, but it was my POS.

The point to that story is that was what I loved. I loved working on that car and I loved driving that car. If you are willing to put the time, money, effort, and elbow grease into the 02 wrx then my all means go for it. As long as that is what YOU want and not what others want for you. The 02 will be somewhat of a beater, but not nearly as much as my 84 iroc-z was, and it will be a great learning experiences.

You are young still but you will come to find that doing things that you love because you love them is a lot better than doing things that others want you to do because they love them. Basically, if you do this, there will be good times had and bad times had.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

For what it is worth. I have owned probably 50 cars. The ones I miss the most are the ones I had to figure out ways to keep on the road. One car had strings tied to the wipers since the wiper motor was broke and I had to shift and pull the strings while going down the road. Another I could not afford a starter for and had to push start it.(It also was a convertible but the carriage was broke so the top was either on or off what a paint to push start it in the rain. A Triumph Spitfire is not a reliable mode of transportation) One car I had I used to have to stop every 40 miles to add a quart of oil and check the gas.
    Get a beater keep it running for at least a year. Put it in the ditch a couple of times and buy a decent set of tires. Find out what it is like to pay insurance and repair bills. Then think about something better.

yikes, triumph.

my 2c, coming from a 1984 camaro that i had to fix something on every day to keep running for 17 years, i am enjoying every minute of just being able to jump into the rex and go. for me, this car(despite a already leangthy build/fixor thread) has been great. have i had a few oh %%%% moments? oh heck yea. and they were expensive too. would i trade it? no, not a chance. my first car was a 1979 dodge challenger. dont look it up. its a 4 cylinder shame to the name lol but i could learn the stick, rwd, fixing(plenty of that) the hole works on the cheap. recommend a first car? the first one you can get parts for locally. up here in nowhere montana that means a ford/chevy/dodge sumthin. cobalt, avenger, focus....you know the ones. there just isnt anyone here that works on them or stocks parts for them. so if you go down, good luck. but thats from a guy who sees that happen from behind the garage doors. if you find a good car, have good people to help you learn and maintain it(sounds like it too) go for it. maybe start out with a new non turbo car like a 08-10 impressa manual and work into a wrx/sti later.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.