Questions for 2015 CVT Owners (1 for veteran owners) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Questions for 2015 CVT Owners (1 for veteran owners) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by WrxGuy2015 Don't you want to keep the break in oil? Per the service manual yes. And that's ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxGuy2015 View Post
    Don't you want to keep the break in oil?
    Per the service manual yes. And that's what I'm doing.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was told to have it changed by the dealer. It was a free oil change so I didn't argue. I buy a new car every two or three years anyway so I really don't expect this car to last for long.

Just ordered 2015 WRX CVT. Unfortunately couldn't test drive being one of the 20% of ppl who cant drive stick.

I had some Q's for ppl who own a 2015 CVT or drove one.

* Sure, I'll lend some of my thoughts. I have a 2015 WRX Premium with CVT with about 1,600 miles on it so far. I have been driving a manual transmission for the last 12 years so, coming from a POV of both worlds, I tend to compare a manual and the HTCVC a lot for different driving circumstances. I tend to use a manual-esque style with the CVT from time to time. This car was bought to be an enjoyable, all-season daily driver.

*The lockup TC (torque converter) in this car gives a familiar direct feel from foot to road like a manual even when the CVT it doing its variating. The only downside to the TC is the lack of ability for hard launches. If that is not your biggest concern, then enjoy the built-in reliability feature. If it is, then you should STIck to the 6-spd.
    *If you pay attention to the transmission and understand what it is doing, you can learn it and anticipate how you want to drive. You can either be mentally involved in it or simply sit back and drive. It's not my first auto trans but its better than about anything else without a third pedal and some DCT's I have driven. Definitely great for a daily commute and it wont kill your clutchin' leg in traffic. I, for one, am glad I made the switch to CVT. *

- While in sport # (sharp) did they feel like the car really put them back in their seat when accelerating quickly (hoping to get a little of the manual box exp.)?

*(S#)Auto mode will surge pretty hard if you spike the throttle aggressively. Lag, surge, and thrust all seem to happen within the second it takes to hit redline. The car bucks and rears enough to taks passengers off guard. It pulls pretty nicely until you hit top end.
    *Once you figure out some of the cheat-codes, you'll realize that you have a lot more control with this transmission than with standard autos.
    *You can "wake up the engine" with a tap of your foot. The revs shoot up to about 4,500 and hold for a few seconds when you do this. in (S#) mode, this is almost instantaneous. It works great for a sudden high downshift if you're not in the position to tap the flaps a few times.
    *(S#)manual mode shifts crisply both up and down whereas (I) mode transitions more softly from one ratio to another (depending on throttle position).
    * You can drive the car manually but the controls more of a "Gran Turismo" type experience and you miss out on the fun of "tap dancing shaking a stick at the floor".
    *Depending on throttle position/driving mode, the upshifting feels like upshifting, and the downshifting feels like downshifting. Not really much of the slipping rubber band going on there. The ECU doesnt cut fuel/ignition during a shift to make it "Feel" like shifting like some other CVTs'.

- What kind of fuel economy (MPG) are they getting while driving in intelligent mode? This will be my DD so traffic and all the fun that comes with the commute.
    - How many miles where you told to break in the car and does the mode (i / S / S#) matter?
    - What mode are you using most (why)?

*My fuel economy varies GREATLY depending on how I drive the car. That being said, my best economy has been through highway driving around 60mph. The best has been 36mpg on the display (34.6 actual) on a roughly 100 mile (mixed driving) trip in (I) mode.That trip was roughly 80% highway through a hilly area. Driving in the city and staring at the MPG-o'meter, I usually see about 24-ish and can drop as low as 19-20 if you drive it how you really want to... Keep in mind that cold-starts kill mileage. In the other modes, the fuel mapping changes, boost target changes, throttle sensitivity changes, trans fluid pressure increases, etc. All of these changes contribute to increased fuel usage to add response and tighten-up the transmission.

*I was told by the dealer to keep the revs below 4K for the first 1,000 miles. The manual states this as well. Its not too hard to do that if you pretend the car is an Impreza and have nothing to look forward to after 4K. My first oil/filter change is scheduled for 3,750 miles (which seemed a bit long until I thought about it). Also, be sure to check your oil level frequently during break-in. Your driving mode should not matter during break-in so long as you dont race the engine.

*What I use my car for most is driving from one place to another without much fun in between. For that, I keep the car in (I)-auto mode. If the terrain features a lot of hills or sharp corners, I may throw the shifter over into manual mode for better control. If/when I do decide to lump fun in there, the better option is (S#)-Manual mode. (S#) involves a lot of shifting but, if you keep your hands planted by the paddles and can hear the engine, you can kinda play it by ear once you get used to it. The mode I use the least is (S)-auto because the other two modes are more contrasting for driving style options. I either drive the car to get from one place to another or to get from one place to another quicker than the last time so, (S) mode really doesnt have much use most of the time.

Another Q for all WRX ppl I live in New England and snow has been getting worse each year. If this car comes with Dunlop Sport Max Summer Tires will I also need winter tires?

*Coming from western Pennsylvania, I can tell you with confidence that these tires will be poor for winter driving. Possibly worse than the RE-92s' of yesteryear. I dont think I will be resorting to dedicated winter treads because I have had a good history with the Conti DWS tires during the past few years.

Thanks in Advance,

I agree with the comment regarding the tires. They are great here in Texas. However, there was a few day stretch where the temp hit the 50s and 60s and i noticed a huge difference in traction. Thankfully, it doesnt get extremely cold here in Houston (lowest i have seen it was in the 20s but the average is in the 40s when its that time of year) or i would need 2 sets of tires as soon as i purchased the car.

Even though it doesn't get that cold here i am still getting new tires for the cooler days just so that i know my kid will be safe thanks to the improved traction. These tires are amazing when its 80-90 degrees out and its as if im glued to the road. Makes for a pretty safe family car in my opinion.

I suggest you test drive a DSG GTI. Everyone ooh and aahs about how that is the gold standard for automatics.

Afterwards, you'll really appreciate the CVTs feel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I just picked up my WRX CVT in Rally Blue today. I love the CVT. While in sport# I notice a huge difference in acceleration. Quick response and nice torque. Close to a manual experience. MPG is not accurate because its guzzling gas as in only has 50 miles on it. My buddy is getting 31+ highway. This is while in Intelli mode. I notice a substantial difference in performance when in that mode though. I was told to break in around 1000 dont go above 5500 rpm. Let turbo warm up in winter and cool down in summer by idling for a minute or two. I use normal driving mode most so far. Yes you will definitely need winter tires. Get nice rims with your summer tires then keep your stock rims with winter. Hope this helps

Do you need to manually shift while in sport#? Or does it behave like an automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by WrxGuy2015 View Post
    Do you need to manually shift while in sport#? Or does it behave like an automatic?
    No you it will behave like an automatic. You can however use the paddle shifters which will give it a more manual feel.

Quote Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
    I suggest you test drive a DSG GTI. Everyone ooh and aahs about how that is the gold standard for automatics.

Afterwards, you'll really appreciate the CVTs feel.

I completely agree. A DSG does what a DSG does even when you don't need it to. Whereas, the Sports Lineartronic is like a Swiss army knife of a transmission and adapts to everything. It can go from being totally unnoticed to fully engaging depending on whatever you want it to do. Very dynamic in a good way.

Although, I think the WRX/FXT CVT is the exception for performance CVT's seeing as there aren't many others to compare to yet. Its a major step in the right direction!

The biggest flaw with the CVT in my opinion is that the paddles are on the wheel and not the column. It is tough to find the up button while turning.

Quote Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
    The biggest flaw with the CVT in my opinion is that the paddles are on the wheel and not the column. It is tough to find the up button while turning.

I had the same thought at first. Why wouldn't they be stationary so you always know where it is without using brain cells? Although, now, I wouldn't want the paddles on the column if I had a choice for a DD car. I am getting used to holding the wheel with both hands and it would feel awkward to let go and reach for a stationary paddle at a light steering angle just to benefit a rare shift at a tight angle. And the paddles would have to be bigger and flappier.. Either position has its flaws, minor may they be.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Fappy paddles?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Fappy paddles?
    I don't think that's a feature of SI-DRIVE. They might incorporate that when Subaru introduces the "Hands-Free" steering wheel though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.