quick question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on quick question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I know there are 5 millions threads on this, but I like an individualized answer and I know ...

Dog

quick question

Hey everyone. I know there are 5 millions threads on this, but I like an individualized answer and I know you guys don't mind a little activity here on the forums so here it is.

I'm currently driving a 2014 wrx. The car is fast enought for me right now and I am now going for cosmetics(Look, sound, etc.). From those of you who remember me from my post about nameless performance, I decided to go with the CNT catback instead and love it. ANYWAY, like I said I am going for sound. I really want to get an aftermarket bov. I love the sound and I would like to instal one. Before anyway says anything, I'm not looking into an intake yet. Could I get a custom tune from a local tuner to adjust the airflow sensor? giving some locals a call tomorrow to see if I can workout a price. Could anyone give an estimate of what to offer on this small tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Easy answer no.

No one can stop you from doing what you want to your car. If you want to vent to atmosphere remove the recirculating tube block off the return and drive around see how the car feels.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

^ agreed

Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Easy answer no.

No one can stop you from doing what you want to your car. If you want to vent to atmosphere remove the recirculating tube block off the return and drive around see how the car feels.
    Okay so you're saying I can't get a custom tune? Because in pretty sure that I've read that you can.

I Support ClubWRX
    Directly from the unibomber's manifesto...

"Are there any negative effects with aftermarket BOVs? Yes. The downside of releasing the air to atmosphere is that it has already been metered by the mass air sensor, and when it blows off, the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs rich, meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders. On most tunes the target A/F under boost is @11.1:1 or so. Say you are at 11.1:1, then you shift and it vents. It will swing rich, typically to around 9.5:1. That is not that rich and this period lasts for under one second...again, nothing to write home about.

This temporary rich condition isn’t usually that harmful. Technically, it can eventually foul spark plugs and even clog the catalytic converter as unburned fuel on the catalytic converter burns very hot, and too much of it can melt the cat. The odds of either of these two conditions actually happening is very, very low though, but that's the theory.

As to blanket "you'll run rich" statements, a BOV will only run "rich" during hard acceleration and shifting as 99% of the time it stays closed.

Can my tuner or engine management tune out this rich period? Yes. There are some forms of engine management that can tune this out. Buying your engine managment soley for this purpose is a poor method of choosing an engine managment system though."

Link to entire BOV thread by unibomber ---> Blow Off Valve FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Dog
    Thank you^ if I were to take it to a local tuner what would I try and negotiate a price at? Or should
    I just get a custom stage one flash?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Did you read this part?

Buying your engine managment soley for this purpose is a poor method of choosing an engine managment system
    You'd be looking at getting a Speed Density tune. Big difference since our cars use a MAF system.

Either choose to follow the rules and get a fully recirculating valve or pay the price of possible ill effects and extra maintenance for nothing more than sound. Or cross over to Speed Density.

That being said most subaru guys will laugh at you, the other half will be very serious when they say, "cool BOV manbro!"

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No offense intended, but every time I see a Subaru with a loud BOV the first word that comes to mind is "tool". I usually assume that they're an idiot, or just don't care about their car.. and being an enthusiast, that rubs me the wrong way.

(although I have a Tial Q BOV on my own car, hahah)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    (although I have a Tial Q BOV on my own car, hahah)
    Honestly didn't see this till the second time I read this thread
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Honestly didn't see this till the second time I read this thread
    In my defense, my car is set up on speed density.. and not just so I can run an atmospheric BOV, but because I can't properly use a MAF sensor with the 4" intake I'm using on my rotated turbo kit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    In my defense, my car is set up on speed density.. and not just so I can run an atmospheric BOV, but because I can't properly use a MAF sensor with the 4" intake I'm using on my rotated turbo kit.
    Just admit it. You like PSSSHH.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't we have an epic size BOV thread for 'quick questions' like these?

Short answer, "no".

I'm not posting the long answer - we have a long thread for that.

Philosophical answer, "You'll do what you want anyways, despite how many intelligent people tell you otherwise... because it's the internet."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Okay so you're saying I can't get a custom tune? Because in pretty sure that I've read that you can.
    I meant No as in no they can not tune your car to run properly with a BOV. Custom tune you can thats what happens when you use a tune other then Off the Shelf a data log is run and then the tuner will make adjustments according to how your car behaves.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but if you run a Blow through MAF set up I believe you can run a true BOV but its not that easy you need other supporting mods.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Someone can correct me if Im wrong but if you run a Blow through MAF set up I believe you can run a true BOV but its not that easy you need other supporting mods.

You can run atmospheric with blow through (depending on where you put it) or speed density. Although most of the blow through pipes I've seen have turbulence issues around the sensor which make them difficult to tune and usually won't run as smooth as a car on draw through.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Can my tuner or engine management tune out this rich period? Yes. There are some forms of engine management that can tune this out. Buying your engine managment soley for this purpose is a poor method of choosing an engine managment system though."
    I never liked the way Ron phrased this as it ambiguous. On the stock ECU and the stock MAF system, a tuner cannot tune for a BOV.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.