Picked up my 15 WRX today! Small concern...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Picked up my 15 WRX today! Small concern... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Picked it up today and I drove it home to see something interesting. The center console boost gauge had a ...

Picked up my 15 WRX today! Small concern...

Picked it up today and I drove it home to see something interesting. The center console boost gauge had a max boost reading of 21.7, picked up the car with 24 miles on it.
    Does this mean someone reached 21.7 psi boost in those 24 miles or is that a default reading? Should I be concerned about my car and any negative impact this may have on longevity, etc.?

Oh and I ordered it, it wasn't one on the lot that people should have been test-driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It seems to me, someone test drove that car, and that was the highest boost level that was recorded.

Obviously, someone who can not afford that car drove it, to test it out or see what it could do. What a shame.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I flipped through my settings and cant find anything that states "max boost." I saw "peek boost," yet i dont think that's what you are referring to.

Yeah, sorry, I meant "peak boost". I'm sure everything should be ok as long as I take care of it rest of the way through break in, which I will. If any problems manifest from it, I would think I would see it within the standard warranty period.

Not sure what that means because mine states 22.3 and i got my car with less than 5 miles on the odometer and I've never taken it that high. Ill google around and see what it might mean.

Edit: found a few people wondering the same thing and it all comes down to this.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2627330

So our cars are fine, basically. At least that's what i gather from the various forums i read through.

2nd Edit:
    Did more detailed research. 2nd paragraph basically states that the car may experience "brief" moments of overboost.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

So we should be fine. I never keep it on that readout display so i freaked the hell out when i read this and noticed i was higher lol.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 05-23-2014 at 06:34 AM.

I bought mine with 8 miles on it. It also had 21.7 as the peak boost. I assume that means the boys at the dealer must have floored it coming off the truck.

Doesn't really matter; I guess.

You can reset that value, however as soon as the break in is done (maybe before then) you'll hit peak boost also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It actually might be the ROM installed on the controller. My STi showed a peak boost of 19.5 PSI when I received the car with 8 miles on the ODO. Though I get boost spikes, no spike has ever exceeded 17.8 PSI. Another theory is that the motor is run-in before loading on the truck to clear out any major issues.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Oh I have defo hit peak/overboost well into the 22s in my WRX. Ringland who?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It actually might be the ROM installed on the controller. My STi showed a peak boost of 19.5 PSI when I received the car with 8 miles on the ODO. Though I get boost spikes, no spike has ever exceeded 17.8 PSI. Another theory is that the motor is run-in before loading on the truck to clear out any major issues.
    Yea could be. However, the WRX is programmed to run overboost for a small period of time just as the Focus ST is. Not sure if the new STi has been given this feature as well though.

I think the Focus ST runs Overboost for up to 15 seconds, yet can not find information regarding how long the WRX keeps it in overboost.

Edit : found a very large argument regarding this very same thing on another forum. Here's the best explanation of what is going on, that i have found so far. Even the Tech at the dealer was somewhat clueless as to how to explain the topic.

"I think you guys are getting hung up on the word 'overboost.' You guys are talking about 2 different things, but using the same word.

An 'overboost,' by definition, occurs when you exceed target boost, and are outside the parameters of the given tune. Not a good thing.

Subaru's new feature is more like 'extra-boost' where it provides brief periods of higher boost (and timing/fuel adjustments) for equally brief moments of increased performance. All of which is still within the parameters of the 2015 WRX's factory tune. As was clearly stated by SeeeeeYa, the FocusST uses a similar system.

The 2015 STi uses a totally different ECU, engine, turbocharger, intake system, intercooler, and mapping. Not even worth comparing in this discussion.

These moments of 'extra-boost' that the OP is seeing are completely normal and have been observed and documented by many '15 WRX owners right here on this forum
    ."

Im not sure why Subaru is so damn elusive with their cars while Ford clearly explains, on their website, how their car works in regards to this feature.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 05-23-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added information

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think the term "overboost" was Subaru trying to market a boost spike issue

STi spikes to 17.5 PSI before evening at 14.5 PSI.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Ah ok. I was just using the term overboost because Ford has it in their website describing their ST and Car and Driver used the term in their article.

Im new to the Subie world and so far its giving me a migraine due to all of the information im attempting to read regarding these cars.

However, i do not think its an issue or car and driver most likely would have gone into more detail. Ill be doing more research to check up on it though.

Also out peek boost is supposed to be around 15 (not sure exactly), yet we are hitting as high as 22. That's more than just boost creep so im sure its a programmed feature of the car. If not and i start seeing problems with these cars then ill be in the market for another car next year i guess.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 05-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Just went to get some Jack in The Box and did some testing.

I do not think this is the same type of system that ford is using in any way shape or form any longer. It is definitely more in line with a boost spike, yet only seems to happen in sport or sport sharp (that i can see).

I drove in Sport mode there and Sport sharp on the way back. In sport i got it to 18psi but averaged 16psi when it spiked and in Sport sharp it went up to 22psi but averaged 19psi when the spike occurred.

I was in manual mode and noticed it would drop to around 8psi once i shifted (shifted at 5k).

If cruising in "8th gear" it was more prone to spiking whenever i needed to "downshift" in order to pass someone. All while keeping the car bellow 5k rpms once downshift occurred.

Fords system seems to keep this spike in place longer as to gain some advantage off the line. So far i have not noticed this spike lasting longer than a second, yet it does concern me that the spike is so drastic when compared to the spikes on the STi.

I have been in S only for the past 3 days. I have not used the paddles. When I give it the beans at more than 50% throttle, boost comes up to 22 for a bit and then settles at ~ 19. When it does come down to 20 though, it is not fixed, it oscillates between 18 and 20 rapidly

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI the term "overboost" dates back to at least the 1980s, when Lancia and Lotus both used it on their 4cyl turbo flagships at the time. Ford and Subaru aren't innovating here.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
    I have been in S only for the past 3 days. I have not used the paddles. When I give it the beans at more than 50% throttle, boost comes up to 22 for a bit and then settles at ~ 19. When it does come down to 20 though, it is not fixed, it oscillates between 18 and 20 rapidly

Ill try it out in auto mode to see if i get the same result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast