Aaaaaand.... I got one

This is a discussion on Aaaaaand.... I got one within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! New guy to the forums here and new to Subies too, pretty stoked because I recently picked up ...

Aaaaaand.... I got one

Hey everyone!

New guy to the forums here and new to Subies too, pretty stoked because I recently picked up a 2015 WRX Premium after considering the WRX for years and I'm looking forward to meeting fellow driving, racing, and now Subaru enthusiasts too.

For the short attention spanned, my intro ends there, otherwise I've got some time to kill so here's my story for those who might be interested...

I live on the east coast (NY) and like most people in our area, my wife and I had lost our cars during hurricane Sandy, so I was waiting for the time (and money) to be right for me to make a move on another car to call my own.

So my wife and I were sharing a car we got for her and then my excu... I mean, reason to get a new car finally came... our first baby was born this past Februrary.

Off I went one night in search of my next baby and there was only one dealership on my radar, Subaru.

I called up a buddy and asked if he wanted to come along for the ride and before I knew it I was standing in front of a black 2014 WRX Hatchback that appeared to have my name all over it, because as a responsible parent, I should clearly be looking for something with 4 or more doors, right? Right.

Cut to the end of that story, after an "OK" test drive I decided to buy the car with performance tuning in mind and expected it to show up with minimal mileage after speaking directly with the sales guy to ensure no one would be test driving or otherwise using the car after I test drove it myself, I was promised "no one" would be driving the car. Well, the car showed up with way more mileage than I was expecting and after a few moments of intense frustration and vocalized disappointment, the deal was off and out the door I went.

As I was walking out of the dealership, in front of me sat 2 brand new 2015 WRX's, one was an STi and the other was the new auto with CVT, and one of the other sales guys happened to be outside whom I knew from somewhere else in life, so we were talking for a moment and I told him what just happened with the mileage, etc.. and he said I should take a look at the 2015 while I was still there anyway, just in case I might like it... I had no previous knowledge of the 2015 WRX (I am admittedly a driving fanatic and passionate about racing but do not keep up to date on the latest and greatest with manufacturers), but he told me a bunch about the car and got me genuinely interested.

So I'm looking at the 2015 and my buddy disappears for a minute to tend to some of his own clients, a few mins later, he comes back outside with license plates in his hand, telling me that one of the managers felt bad about what just happened with the 2014 and wanted to make it up to me, so they offered me the first test drive in the 2015 WRX CVT.

I took them up on the offer, because at the end of the day, even if I didn't like it, I was being given the opportunity to drive a car I might otherwise not have the chance to and I love driving anyway, so why not?

Off we went....

I'll say I was not impressed by the car at first, the only thing I was actually enjoying was the stiffer suspension and handling characteristics vs the 2014 Hatchback which felt a bit "loose" to me, so that was really the only noticeable difference, the CVT was better than expected, but, not by much (more about this later...).

After taking it on the parkway and putting the screws to it a bit more, playing with the paddle shifters through some exit ramps and trying out some "light" engine braking moments, I decided it just didn't have the performance I was looking for and I just wanted to bring it back and go home to think about what I was going to do.

When we got back, I was asked how it was, etc.. and I basically said the same thing, the handling is better but the paddle thing just isn't for me, it made me feel out of touch with the gear box and didn't provide the kind of fine control over the gearbox and clutch that I was looking for.

Then my buddy asks me if I had tried messing with any of the "modes" like Sharp #, etc... I said no because the other sales guy who had came with me on the test drive had no idea what that knob did and when I had asked during the test drive when I saw it, he said it was some kind of comfort drive thing.... (so a nod to you guys with the CVT, it's apparently a step up from what I experienced when those modes are used).

Anyway, after the lackluster test drive due to this less-than-knowledgeable sales guy, I was still interested because I was just trying to imagine the car with a 6-speed gearbox, etc.. along with the handling I was enjoying and I decided to just go home and start pulling up performance reviews... it didn't take reading many reviews for me to decide I was going to go back and start talking money.

End of the story, the dealership stepped up to the plate and gave me a a deal I couldn't refuse on a 6-speed WRX and to ensure my satisfaction about mileage, they gave me a ride to pick it up from it's existing location to ensure that only I would put miles on the car from it's brand new condition, awesome.

I picked up the car and here I am 2 weeks later joining the rest of you with what I think is an absolutely stunning vehicle whose pictures do it no justice, in fact, the pictures online turned me off to the '15 initially and I would easily have agreed with the write-ups about it being "boring" or "average" at best and had the dealership not taken delivery on those 15's that day for me to see in person, I probably would have ended up with a totally different car, so if you're considering the 2015 and you haven't seen it in person yet, just wait until you do before deciding, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I'll end my saga there but to finish off this intro post properly.... here it is... my Black 2015 Subaru WRX Premium

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Face.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	150377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun.Side.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	150385

Thanks for checking out my post, see you guys around!
    Last edited by ApexGuy; 05-17-2014 at 12:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats! I can't wait for mine to show.. I still 6 sleepless nights waiting...

And I agree with you if anyone is contemplating this car, and thinks it looks bad ....go check it out in person and drive it ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations and welcome to Club!

She looks awesome
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I love it from the front and the back but the profile just doesn't do it for me, however I haven't seen one in person so until I do I'll keep an open mind. congrats on the purchase!

@speedtown - That's how I thought at first but then I saw the back in person and loved it. I went to pick up a CWP base model about a month ago and when I went in it was already sold :-( but as I was leaving the dealership, this lightning red Limited just kept calling me. Needless to say, I anwsered the calling. First time Subie owner as well. Next one will be the STI for sure - if they ever go with a 2.5 DI

Nice! Love seeing more CSB's out there!

Thanks guys!

@dandankler - It's been so fun even just breaking it in, one more day to go for you, good luck!!

Congrats for the new whip Now drive safe