Engine problems within the first year of owning the car
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Engine problems within the first year of owning the car within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i bought a brand new 2013 subaru Wrx Sti last august. It had always been a car i wanted ...

So i bought a brand new 2013 subaru Wrx Sti last august. It had always been a car i wanted to own so i finally order it and drove it right off the showroom floor. The car ran great no problems had the oil changed at 2500 miles like my dealer recommended. I never launched my car or anything too harsh(other than pressing the gas pedal down on the highway). I was driving down the highway friday and noticed a sound coming from the front of it, paniced i drove it home and parked it until the next day when my buddy could listen to it. i turned it on for him and the sound was even louder saturday and my buddy says you need to take it in to the dealership it sounds really bad. I took it to the dealership and the guy listens to it and does some digging around and says he believes its worse than i thought that it threw a rod bearing. Now im no mechanic or anything but why would my car do this if i havent even been that hard on it or anything? subaru of course gave me a rental car and said it could be awhile before i get to drive my car again. One of the guys at the shop said they would probably have to order a new engine and put it in. Is this a common thing for subarus or the STI's in general? im a new subaru owner so im not too familiar with everything. My car has 5800 miles on it at the moment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Not common. Just like any other company in the world sometimes problems slip through the cracks.

It's not very common at all, but defects can happen. Just like when I fired up a brand new laptop for an employee who was waiting weeks for it to come it...it crashed continually since I first fired it up. Had to get it replaced under warranty: Just like Subaru is doing for you. Unfortunately it happens in some cases and its a bummer for you. The real thing to care about is how it's getting taken care of for you, which it looks like, pretty well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The real thing to care about is how it's getting taken care of for you, which it looks like, pretty well.
    Yeah i agree. i guess im concerned that other things could be messed up also like possibly the turbo and then i have to keep coming in over and over and over to get different things fixed which is not what i wanted when i shelled out close to 40,000 for my car. i guess ill have to wait and see, they said its going to be awhile.

Registered User ajaxthecleaner25's Avatar
    Keep your head up, as everyone has said, stuff happens and its uncommon but it does happen. The positive thing is they are giving you a new motor. Just stay positive and your baby will be back in no time. Just out of curiosity, what did they give you for a loaner?
    2015 Limited WRX on order . . . JUST GET HERE ALREADY!

yeah the new motor is a plus. They gave me a 2012 toyota camry, pretty lame but it does have a dvd screen and i will definetely be getting better gas milage.

Its good to see they are standing behind their product.

Just wondering but did you have any aftermarket parts? Just wondering so that i know what is generally overlooked when i decide to get parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    Its good to see they are standing behind their product.

Just wondering but did you have any aftermarket parts? Just wondering so that i know what is generally overlooked when i decide to get parts.
    Nope havent bought any aftermarket parts yet or even flashed my car.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Turbos generally last the life of the car. I'm not sure why everyone thinks they're such a weak part of the motor. You should be good on that one

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    Nope havent bought any aftermarket parts yet or even flashed my car.
    Well that's still good to know that they are working on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Turbos generally last the life of the car. I'm not sure why everyone thinks they're such a weak part of the motor. You should be good on that one
    I think the tsb for the early 3rd gens still apply to his year. The banjo bolt clogs up so subaru recommends their oil flush cleaner every oil change

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My 5 month old bone stock 2014 with 12K miles has been sitting at the dealer for a week and half with a failed rod bearing. Needs a new motor.

Dealer says they are still waiting for approval from Subaru. Dealer is on my side, i have all oil change receipts, no tune ect. Just don't understand what the hell is taking so long to get approved!

Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    My 5 month old bone stock 2014 with 12K miles has been sitting at the dealer for a week and half with a failed rod bearing. Needs a new motor.

Dealer says they are still waiting for approval from Subaru. Dealer is on my side, i have all oil change receipts, no tune ect. Just don't understand what the hell is taking so long to get approved!
    I had a similar problem. my car sat for about 4 days and they kept saying they needed approval to tear into it to make sure i didnt do anything wrong like rally the piss out of it or something. so i finally went in and explained that this was my baby i paid alot of money for it i just really want to drive it again and if this is how im going to be treated by subaru im not a fan, the guy got it authorized the next morning and they are supposed to have answers for me friday. You may wanna try that out and see if it works. did they at least get you a rent a car?

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    It is a long shot, but anything catastrophic that prevents oil from getting to the turbo for lube and cooling can kill the turbo. If you get metal shavings and chunks or whatever from the broken engine parts, it could potentially cause an issue. The good thing is though, if a turbo fails, just that fails. An engine will still run, you just won't get adequate power.

Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post

I'd raise a little more hell. Its good that they are on your side, but a lot of dealers used to just do their repairs first hand and then wait for SOA. Now it seems that they've become a lot more cautious about warranties.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    I had a similar problem. my car sat for about 4 days and they kept saying they needed approval to tear into it to make sure i didnt do anything wrong like rally the piss out of it or something. so i finally went in and explained that this was my baby i paid alot of money for it i just really want to drive it again and if this is how im going to be treated by subaru im not a fan, the guy got it authorized the next morning and they are supposed to have answers for me friday. You may wanna try that out and see if it works. did they at least get you a rent a car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I'd raise a little more hell. Its good that they are on your side, but a lot of dealers used to just do their repairs first hand and then wait for SOA. Now it seems that they've become a lot more cautious about warranties.
    They gave me a loaner, as long as it gets fixed that's all I care about. It's already torn down with the motor out.

I'm on my way up to Pennsylvania right now and won't be back in town til June, so doesn't really matter if they fix it tomorrow lol. Getting married next Sunday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast