First subaru help

This is a discussion on First subaru help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, well I'm 19 and i have a lameish 02 toyota 4runner, yuck, well im sick of it (parents gave ...

First subaru help

Hi, well I'm 19 and i have a lameish 02 toyota 4runner, yuck, well im sick of it (parents gave me it) and was looking for something that had a little pizzazz to it you know with a little kick and itll be my daily driver (live in wisconsin) well i talked with some friends and they suggested a wrx or wrx sti, however im limited on money to approx 15k, so im looking for an older (mid 2000's) model but am very confused on which is better and so what. if anyone could shed the light for me that would be appreciated. also would a evo be a better choice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrx would be the best choice for you given your driving experience and your budget. I bought my 2012 WRX at 19 and the whole thing has been a continual learning experience. You can easily pick up a clean wrx for under 15k. An sti or Evo not a chance. The sti has more hp and a better trans along with other goodies but that comes with a price and big insurance gap between the two. Do some research and try and find yourself a low mileage wrx with little to no modifications.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

thanks amplifiied, i appreciate it, anyone other opinions would be appreciated

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    STi is far better than WRX, Evo is far better than STi. But you will be stretched to find an a *good STi or Evo in that budget. Not to mention the insurance difference. Probly not affordable for you right now. WRX would be the way to go. But they're not exactly the cheapest cars to own either. Premium gas, high-ish insurance, awd, potentially the age of the car --which means repair costs.

Here's some things to think about: Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

^^^^ this guy knows and has a link to answer every question

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If I had my choice over again, I would've bought a completely stock N/A miata or e30 BMW and gone straight to the autocross course. A simpler, more "pure" car.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If I had my choice over again, I would've bought a completely stock N/A miata or e30 BMW and gone straight to the autocross course. A simpler, more "pure" car.
    Tis' true. I am a huge miata/ roadster guy and sadly for the sake of the car i'm also a large guy... I can't really fit into a stock miata. I would need to pull the seat out and mount it straight to the floor. Ugh anyways one day i'll find a nice 96 miata to build up for myself

Your best bet IMO would be an 06-07 WRX. You can def find a nice one in your price range. Plus the 06-07 were improved a bit from the 02-05 WRX's. They went to the 2.5 liter engine instead of the 2.0, plus got rid of the stock catted uppipe that is known for destroying turbos. The 2008 is the odd ball of the newer generation subaru's and you would be better off with the 06-07. The 2009's is when they bumped up the HP in the wrx's and put in the bigger vf52 turbo. But I would stay away from the 09's bc they had alot of issues. And the 2010+ for a decent one will more than likely be out of your price range.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread