Newbie Tranny questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie Tranny questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 02 WRX with plans pretty well laid out and plenty of research done. The engine is about ...

Newbie Tranny questions

I have an 02 WRX with plans pretty well laid out and plenty of research done. The engine is about to be built, I'm going bigger turbo, clutch upgrade, the whole 9 yards. I would like to know what my options are as far as a transmission/gear upgrade. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am upgrading everything else, I am going to want to upgrade the tranny as well since it will be the weak link with all this extra power and being grabbed by a stronger clutch.

If I am correct that the tranny should be swapped/upgraded what options do I have? I know the STi is very common but I was wondering if there are any 5 speed options available. The reason I am curious about 5 speed is 1) this is my first manual car and I am under the impression that a 6 speed takes constant attention, more so than a 5 speed and 2) correct me if I am wrong, but in a 5 speed you shift less often resulting in building speed quicker and holding boost longer, because I am under the impression that you have to rebuild boost when you shift.

Any answers or suggestions on 5 speed vs 6 speed and my tranny options would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

at the thread title.

/immature
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Also would having a stronger tranny and clutch make it okay to launch the car? How does launch control work? Please explain!

Oh that kind of tranny.

In for posts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Most of the OEM 5speeds from Subaru aren't the strongest. They can handle a fair amount of power as long as you aren't launching or slamming gears around, etc. Think 330-350 whp/wtq as an absolute high point (some people are fine with more power).

There are aftermarket gear options that can be transplanted into 5spds however...PPG gearsets: helical or straight cut. These are notably much stronger and are built to handle much more power. They replace the stock gears within the tranny casing.

The stock 6spd however is just a damn good transmission. It can handled a ton of power without any modification to gears. I don't know where you're getting "constant attention" from...but its just like any other transmission where you have to shift and downshift. No big deal. Now the gears on the 6spds are generally shorter, so you don't build boost as long, but its all relative. Shifting at the right points will keep you within the boost/power curve. A good thought however is that the 6spd is more geared to handled a track as opposed to a better daily driveable 5spd which has taller gears.

If it were up to me...I'd take the 6spd. Its just a much better transmission. Much better feel. Just more fun to drive.

These opinions and knowledge come from having had two STIs and now a WRX.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Damn came here for pics...

Here's an idea: don't beat on the car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Damn came here for pics...

Here's an idea: don't beat on the car.
    Butracekor!

PPG 5mt gears (either helical or straight cut).. you will probably want to upgrade the rear diff to a r180 as well. Then you could launch it, but you would still be in danger of breaking things, like the front ring and pinion gear, shift forks.. axles.

zax
    If your gonna spend the money on PPGs, then straight cut. Becozracekor
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.