My New 2014 WRX! - Fuel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My New 2014 WRX! - Fuel within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! So a few months back I had asked some of you about the WRX and based on everything ...

My New 2014 WRX! - Fuel

Hello everyone! So a few months back I had asked some of you about the WRX and based on everything I told you guys a lot of you suggested that I don't get a WRX and others really recommended it. Well today I went out and purchased a 2014 WRX base model with a few nice extra features including the short throw shifter, all weather floor mats, fog lights etc. It seems like a great car and the price was very fair! (I'm going to go pick it up this Tuesday)

Anyway I do have one question and that pertains to the fuel. Now in the owner's manual it states that the car runs on 91 octane but can temporarily use 87 octane. I understand that, but there is no mention of mid grade gas or 89 octane from where I am in NY. Can the WRX run on 89 octane? If so how will it hinder performance or the overall functionality of the car? It is a good idea to use 89 octane in a WRX? Is it safe? Will it damage the car in any way?

Thanks for your input
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0984.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Always run 91 or higher octane. It specifically says on the sticker inside of the fuel door to run premium fuel ONLY. (i.e. 91 or 93 octane) What the manual means by saying that the car can temporarily run 87 is if you are out of fuel and the only available fuel close to you would be 87.

#Thread.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Always run 91 or higher octane. It specifically says on the sticker inside of the fuel door to run premium fuel ONLY. (i.e. 91 or 93 octane) What the manual means by saying that the car can temporarily run 87 is if you are out of fuel and the only available fuel close to you would be 87.

#Thread.
    OR that the tow truck guy brings you a couple gallons of regular gas to limp to the gas station. Just run high test and you'll be fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can get away with regular if you have to but stay out of boost and dont run the car too hard. Also adding something like an "octane booster" densest help. Also you cant find 93 in queens?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    You can get away with regular if you have to but stay out of boost and dont run the car too hard. Also adding something like an "octane booster" densest help. Also you cant find 93 in queens?
    Yeah there is 93 in Queens but if I can't find 91 that'd be better for me since it's cheaper

I Support ClubWRX
    You have 93 at every gas station in Queens. You can find 91 at Sunocos. Nothing less than those specific octanes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    You have 93 at every gas station in Queens. You can find 91 at Sunocos. Nothing less than those specific octanes.
    At Sunocos huh? Okay thanks!

im in a similar situation with little options for higher octanes but if you throw in some octane booster it should help out in a pinch

I Support ClubWRX
    How much less is 91?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

You're willing to sacrifice performance and perhaps longevity of your brand new car so you can save 10 cents a gallon, or a dollar per fill up?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    You're willing to sacrifice performance and perhaps longevity of your brand new car so you can save 10 cents a gallon, or a dollar per fill up?

^That. You bought a nice car, now put the gas in it that it is tuned to run on. You will be prone to pre-detonation if you run lower octane fuel, which is NOT good. If you can't find 91 then run 93.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    ^That. You bought a nice car, now put the gas in it that it is tuned to run on. You will be prone to pre-detonation if you run lower octane fuel, which is NOT good. If you can't find 91 then run 93.
    Seriously... These guys are right. If you couldn't afford or find the gas needed for the car you should have bought a base Impreza or a bicycle... I don't want to come off mean or disrespectful but geeeezzzz

Quote Originally Posted by BOshea View Post
    Seriously... These guys are right. If you couldn't afford or find the gas needed for the car you should have bought a base Impreza or a bicycle... I don't want to come off mean or disrespectful but geeeezzzz
    Don't worry, there's a 5 page thread of people telling him not to get the car because he makes 300 dollars a month and his parents bought the car for him. My guess is he will run 87 gas and conventional or synthetic" blend" oil, at best.
    Poor car
    Couldn't putting non premium gas lead to warranty claims if an issue were to rise? Improper maintenance and care as per manual.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just looked at gas prices in Queens on average its about 10 cents more for premium. Please dont skimp on your new car use 93 if you can. If you try something like 89 and octane booster it could be more then filling with premium.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast