My New 2014 WRX! - Fuel - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

This is a discussion on My New 2014 WRX! - Fuel within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by cflip2x How much less is 91? Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Not enough to matter. Originally ...

  1. #16
    Registered User RichD514's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Medford, New York, United States
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    How much less is 91?

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Not enough to matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    You're willing to sacrifice performance and perhaps longevity of your brand new car so you can save 10 cents a gallon, or a dollar per fill up?

    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    ^That. You bought a nice car, now put the gas in it that it is tuned to run on. You will be prone to pre-detonation if you run lower octane fuel, which is NOT good. If you can't find 91 then run 93.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BOshea View Post
    Seriously... These guys are right. If you couldn't afford or find the gas needed for the car you should have bought a base Impreza or a bicycle... I don't want to come off mean or disrespectful but geeeezzzz
    +1

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Costa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Don't worry, there's a 5 page thread of people telling him not to get the car because he makes 300 dollars a month and his parents bought the car for him. My guess is he will run 87 gas and conventional or synthetic" blend" oil, at best.
    Poor car
    Couldn't putting non premium gas lead to warranty claims if an issue were to rise? Improper maintenance and care as per manual.

    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    I never said I was going to run anything other than premium, I was just wondering if there are any fuel alternatives and I know that it needs synthetic every 7500 miles. Can you be anymore condescending?

  4. #18
    Registered User 386WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Port Orange Florida
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    I never said I was going to run anything other than premium, I was just wondering if there are any fuel alternatives and I know that it needs synthetic every 7500 miles. Can you be anymore condescending?
    I could be, yes. After 5 pages of people trying to help you and tell you not to get strapped to a car, you do it anyway, and this is the first post you make, to try and save a few dimes by ruining your new beauty and not getting its full potential.
    Sorry for coming across like an ass.
    Moral of the story: no there are no alternatives for gas. ONLY options are: 91, 93, e85. Spend the extra money on the good stuff.

    Edit: make sure you read the oil threads. It is beneficial to do your first oil change at 1250 miles, and at 3750 intervals after that.

    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

  5. #19
    Work In Progress GRBOXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    92
    I Support ClubWRX
    93 octane is readily available by us + Subaru requires it in the manual = Use it (No reason not to)

    I'm assuming the reason you are even discussing using 87 is to save on fuel costs, if that is the case I have a free mod that can help save money. Just lighten up on the right foot and you can achieve MPG's in the mid to high 20's.

  6. #20
    Registered User BOshea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Houston Tx
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    I never said I was going to run anything other than premium, I was just wondering if there are any fuel alternatives and I know that it needs synthetic every 7500 miles. Can you be anymore condescending?
    7500 is a pretty high for these cars. Being that the motor runs Horizontally there is more oil burn on these style motors than on a standard "V" or Inline motor due to there being no gravity assisted oil draining in the cylinder heads. Which in turn will make your oil burn more than the other motors listed above. SO with that said i still change my oil every 3K but thats just me. When i bought my car my first oil change was at a little before 1500 then again at 3k then 3k for the life of the car. This is just me and my ways of doing things. It doesn't hurt your engine changing oil more often especially if you run your car more aggressively than others but it will affect your wallet.

  7. #21
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,809
    I Support ClubWRX
    Doing the oil at less than 7500 is preference. The manual states 7500 unless driven in extreme conditions. The true way to know would be to do an oil analysis when you do your oil changes. If you get a good synthetic oil it should hold up fine. It is safer to do the oil changes in smaller intervals (I do) and change the oil at 1000 (I did), but certainly not required. The subaru engineers know the engine and I believe subaru prepared the manual accurately. After all, they pick up the bill if the suggested intervals result in a failed engine.

    But don't cheap out on the gas. Someone mentioned E85 above. If you do use E85 you need to be specially tuned for that, make sure to just not stop into an E85 pump and fill er up.

    Also, most people here are just trying to help you out. Try not to get too offended, as some comments will come across and aggressive. Just ignore it. If you can do that you can learn a lot on this site. Lots of knowledge here.

  8. #22
    Registered User jsantos1082's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    River Edge, NJ
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Don't worry, there's a 5 page thread of people telling him not to get the car because he makes 300 dollars a month and his parents bought the car for him. My guess is he will run 87 gas and conventional or synthetic" blend" oil, at best.
    Poor car
    Couldn't putting non premium gas lead to warranty claims if an issue were to rise? Improper maintenance and care as per manual.

    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk


    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

  9. #23
    Registered User nsibanez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,482
    Dude...
    Just....dude
    Don't be stupid

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  10. #24
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,142
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LawstSon View Post
    im in a similar situation with little options for higher octanes but if you throw in some octane booster it should help out in a pinch
    If you are somewhere where you can get it, like he is, then no. It does surprisingly little to add most octane boosters and it is always cheaper just to buy that octane in the first place (plus you aren't gumming up your o2 sensor etc.). If you're in AK, and can't find it, that is different and it can be worth it. Off the top of my head, I wonder if you could get a meth kit and get a moderate 87 octane tune that was at or above stock power.

    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Doing the oil at less than 7500 is preference. The manual states 7500 unless driven in extreme conditions. The true way to know would be to do an oil analysis when you do your oil changes. If you get a good synthetic oil it should hold up fine. It is safer to do the oil changes in smaller intervals (I do) and change the oil at 1000 (I did), but certainly not required. The subaru engineers know the engine and I believe subaru prepared the manual accurately. After all, they pick up the bill if the suggested intervals result in a failed engine.

    But don't cheap out on the gas. Someone mentioned E85 above. If you do use E85 you need to be specially tuned for that, make sure to just not stop into an E85 pump and fill er up.

    Also, most people here are just trying to help you out. Try not to get too offended, as some comments will come across and aggressive. Just ignore it. If you can do that you can learn a lot on this site. Lots of knowledge here.
    It isn't just preference really - the manual should go on to define what extreme conditions are. Basically a turbo gets you there, but otherwise, you basically have to just drive on the highway. I agree on the testing - that is the way to know. I'd not do over 5k without it.
    2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period
    "Severe driving is
    > Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
    > Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any country or winter driving)
    > Towing a trailer.
    > Racing

    *NOTES
    #1: under severe driving replace oil and filter every 3,750 miles. "
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  11. #25
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,142
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LawstSon View Post
    im in a similar situation with little options for higher octanes but if you throw in some octane booster it should help out in a pinch
    If you are somewhere where you can get it, like he is, then no. It does surprisingly little to add most octane boosters and it is always cheaper just to buy that octane in the first place (plus you aren't gumming up your o2 sensor etc.). If you're in AK, and can't find it, that is different and it can be worth it. Off the top of my head, I wonder if you could get a meth kit and get a moderate 87 octane tune that was at or above stock power.

    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Doing the oil at less than 7500 is preference. The manual states 7500 unless driven in extreme conditions. The true way to know would be to do an oil analysis when you do your oil changes. If you get a good synthetic oil it should hold up fine. It is safer to do the oil changes in smaller intervals (I do) and change the oil at 1000 (I did), but certainly not required. The subaru engineers know the engine and I believe subaru prepared the manual accurately. After all, they pick up the bill if the suggested intervals result in a failed engine.

    But don't cheap out on the gas. Someone mentioned E85 above. If you do use E85 you need to be specially tuned for that, make sure to just not stop into an E85 pump and fill er up.

    Also, most people here are just trying to help you out. Try not to get too offended, as some comments will come across and aggressive. Just ignore it. If you can do that you can learn a lot on this site. Lots of knowledge here.
    It isn't just preference really - the manual should go on to define what extreme conditions are. Basically a turbo gets you there, but otherwise, you basically have to just drive on the highway. I agree on the testing - that is the way to know. I'd not do over 5k without it.
    2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period
    "Severe driving is
    > Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
    > Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any country or winter driving)
    > Towing a trailer.
    > Racing

    *NOTES
    #1: under severe driving replace oil and filter every 3,750 miles. "

    Even more importantly, check it much more often than you think you should, like 1000 miles.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  12. #26
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,809
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It isn't just preference really - the manual should go on to define what extreme conditions are. Basically a turbo gets you there, but otherwise, you basically have to just drive on the highway. I agree on the testing - that is the way to know. I'd not do over 5k without it.
    2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period
    "Severe driving is
    > Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
    > Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any country or winter driving)
    > Towing a trailer.
    > Racing

    *NOTES
    #1: under severe driving replace oil and filter every 3,750 miles. "

    Even more importantly, check it much more often than you think you should, like 1000 miles.
    I really don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with you, because, like I said, I too change my oil every 4,000 miles or so and also think that far too few people check their oil on a regular basis (a task that takes minutes and anyone can do easily). I don't do oil analysis, so I'd rather be safe and change the oil too often. I'm in that boat. But if it were true that you would "only be driving on the highway" to fall into the 7,500 mile oil change interval category, then I really doubt that this would be how the manual would have been written. If it were true that "having a turbo" pretty much puts you into the extreme conditions category, then the manual would state that all WRX's should have their oil changed at 3,750, as I am quite sure it would be cheaper for SOA to have their customers change their oil every 3,750 miles than it would be for them to be replacing motors on a regular basis. My assumption is there are quite a few WRX owners out there that are not on the enthusiast forums and who read the manual and determine that 7,500 miles is when they will change their oil due to the instructions per subaru. I agree that if you are autox-ing, or are driving like a bat out of hell in dry desert conditions, etc (as defined in the manual), which I did read, then the 3,750 regimen should be followed. But again, I can't imagine all of the WRX world (including many of the members here) are hammering on their cars every time they jump behind the wheel, otherwise the odds would most likely lean toward most of those people having their driving rights taken away.

  13. #27
    Registered User LawstSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ketchikan, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    43
    All I have available is 90. That is our premium in Ketchikan, AK so I have just been throwing a little octane boost in there halfway through the fill up

  14. #28
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,142
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LawstSon View Post
    im in a similar situation with little options for higher octanes but if you throw in some octane booster it should help out in a pinch
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I really don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with you, because, like I said, I too change my oil every 4,000 miles or so and also think that far too few people check their oil on a regular basis (a task that takes minutes and anyone can do easily). I don't do oil analysis, so I'd rather be safe and change the oil too often. I'm in that boat. But if it were true that you would "only be driving on the highway" to fall into the 7,500 mile oil change interval category, then I really doubt that this would be how the manual would have been written. If it were true that "having a turbo" pretty much puts you into the extreme conditions category, then the manual would state that all WRX's should have their oil changed at 3,750, as I am quite sure it would be cheaper for SOA to have their customers change their oil every 3,750 miles than it would be for them to be replacing motors on a regular basis. My assumption is there are quite a few WRX owners out there that are not on the enthusiast forums and who read the manual and determine that 7,500 miles is when they will change their oil due to the instructions per subaru. I agree that if you are autox-ing, or are driving like a bat out of hell in dry desert conditions, etc (as defined in the manual), which I did read, then the 3,750 regimen should be followed. But again, I can't imagine all of the WRX world (including many of the members here) are hammering on their cars every time they jump behind the wheel, otherwise the odds would most likely lean toward most of those people having their driving rights taken away.
    Yeah, it certainly isn't an argument from my end either, just sharing information. I think there is a significant incentive to put a long oil change interval for non-enthusiast buyers who don't change their own or have any desire to touch the car. That is part of the whole "low maintenance" sales argument. Obviously it is their bottom line, but they just have to get you out of the warranty period which isn't hard at all with modern automobiles. The thing is, that is what it says in the manual - change it at 3750 unless you meet those conditions. I don't, and few owners do. So, we both come to the same conclusion that if you're going far beyond that, get an analysis. I think there was even a TSB on cutting the interval to 3750 for all wrx of a certain model year. Also, note those are the same intervals for a non-turbo Impreza I believe. It is the same for our old outback at least, and I don't even follow it on that. When I was a grad. student we had a research truck that several people were managing all of whom thought the other one was getting the oil done. I think it went 18K miles like that, just getting topped off. Once it was discovered, we got the oil changed and it went on for several more years. Was it fine though? I kind of doubt it but who knows with modern additives. As you do, changing the oil is easy, and erring on the side of caution is right unless you have data.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  15. #29
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,809
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, it certainly isn't an argument from my end either, just sharing information. I think there is a significant incentive to put a long oil change interval for non-enthusiast buyers who don't change their own or have any desire to touch the car. That is part of the whole "low maintenance" sales argument. Obviously it is their bottom line, but they just have to get you out of the warranty period which isn't hard at all with modern automobiles. The thing is, that is what it says in the manual - change it at 3750 unless you meet those conditions. I don't, and few owners do. So, we both come to the same conclusion that if you're going far beyond that, get an analysis. I think there was even a TSB on cutting the interval to 3750 for all wrx of a certain model year. Also, note those are the same intervals for a non-turbo Impreza I believe. It is the same for our old outback at least, and I don't even follow it on that. When I was a grad. student we had a research truck that several people were managing all of whom thought the other one was getting the oil done. I think it went 18K miles like that, just getting topped off. Once it was discovered, we got the oil changed and it went on for several more years. Was it fine though? I kind of doubt it but who knows with modern additives. As you do, changing the oil is easy, and erring on the side of caution is right unless you have data.
    I completely agree. I always do recommend that a shorter oil interval is used unless the analysis shows that you can go further. For me it is just not worth it to do the analysis all the time (although it would be interesting to do!). I know my dad's toyota highlander can go (at least? don't feel like googling it haha) 7.5K miles and my car is much different from his! Regardless though, I agree that the 3.750 interval would be safer (hell, my manual actually states 3,750, but then they sent out a "revised" manual that stated 7,500!!!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •