Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi i just bought an 05 wrx. i new to the whole modding/upgrading cars thing so bear with me. like ...

Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help

Hi
    i just bought an 05 wrx.
    i new to the whole modding/upgrading cars thing so bear with me.

like i said i just got this car, i got it cheaper because it needs a new turbo, the engine got factory replaced ( new ) at 101k miles, the turbo didnt. currently the car has 144k miles. the engine has 43k. it is completely stock. it doesnt even have a boost gauge, i got to get one put in asap. it is a clean car, no wrecks. so now at 144k after owning the car for a month, the mechanic i took the car to(for its one month check up) says that the turbo is starting to burn / wear out. that i knew getting into this. so i guess i should get it done as soon as i can. anyways, my question to anyone is, can you help me find the right parts to replace with the car? i was hoping to replace the old turbo with another stock or something a little better with out dropping a ton of $$$ to do it.
    i googled some turbos for wrxs and after of confusion i found these 2 on ebay, ( if anyone has a better place to buy parts for my car please let me know. )

Subaru TD04 Turbo 98 05 Forester Impreza WRX Turbocharger | eBay

TD05 TD05H 20g Turbo Charger Direct Bolt on Subaru Impreza WRX EJ20 EJ25 Engine | eBay

are either of these the right one i should get?

like i said, i know almost nothing when it comes to subaru parts/mods/upgrades. so any help would be awesome.
    im 19 and dont have alot of mechanic experience. im not your average teenager either, this is my everyday car, so i have to take good care of this car, i cant afford to hot rod it around everywhere.
    so far the few friends i have that have subis have said i should get an sti intercooler, a new bigger airflow pipe( i forget what the exact name of it was ), and a turbo vac exhaust for starters.
    thats my plans for the car right now. but since i need the turbo first i need to get learned up on this stuff fast.
    thank you for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well it all really depends. What are your future goals for the car. Stage 2? Whats your power goal. And the biggest question is what is your budget for all of this. By the way is sounds, you would be better off just getting another OEM turbo for your car. Which is the TD04, and is obviously going to be a direct bolt on replacment with no tune or supporting mods needed. The second turbo you have listed is to going to take a few thousand dollars in supporting mods and a tune to be ran. And with a car with of that age and that milage I wouldnt do a 20g turbo regardless. You would be better off with a 16g IMO. Just know that when replacing your oem turbo with any aftermarket turbo you will need fuel mods, a better intercooler, exhaust, and a tune. Which will be quiet expensive.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Don't listen to your friends. This is your only car. Keep it stock (well....reliable at least), keep it clean, keep it maintained. You're just starting out in college and you'll need that money in other places...believe me. You may have scholarships or a full ride blah blah, but still. Money spent on cars during college is not well spent, so I trust that you will be smart about your spending. Anyway...I'm not here to lecture.

For now, replace the turbo with another td04 like has already been mentioned.

Then, you can have a leak down test performed as well as all your vacuum hoses tested for leaks. If the motor is healthy, then you can get your turbo back exhaust your friends are talking about + a tune. This is the biggest power-per-dollar-spent upgrade you can perform and will retain your motor's reliability. Which you want to retain if it's your only car. This is referred to as Stage 2. Bumps you to about 285 Hp vs 227 Hp stock.

As a rule of thumb, when you swap out turbos to something that is not OE on your car, it is expensive for all the reasons 'Maniac' mentioned and your reliability is drastically reduced.

I know where you're at right now, and I was there not too long ago. Do your research, hang around, ask questions. We'll help you along. Just replace the turbo and worry about upgrading later, tdo4 turbos are like $150 used. Search the classifieds on NASIOC or ebay. I'm sure there's tons of yards around that have that very turbo in stock, so call around. Ask around your local club etc.

i dont really have power goal. Yet. right now i want to tackle the getting the new turbo, sti intercooler, air flow pipe, and a few other cheaper mods. after that i was going to get a bigger fuel pump and a few other things, and get it tuned. i dont have alot of money, i got a great job, but it doesnt pay enough for me to afford alot of expensive mods. you said that the first one i listed would work, is there any exact brand of turbo you would recomend? or would the one i linked work just as good?
    Last edited by Gen Jack Oneil; 04-27-2014 at 04:58 PM.

im actually not going to collage. i hate school and frankly i cant afford it. ( because im to busy saving for my car ) the first one i listed, its another tdo4, but i dont know any good company / brand that makes good parts, so i would like to know is the one i listed a good brand or should i keep searching? since i just got the car, and am going to keep it for a long time, i would prefer to get a new turbo rather than a rebuilt or used turbo. with either of those cases, i dont know the full history of that turbo, it could have been trashed and is about die its self. i just feel safer getting new, even if its more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    i dont really have power goal. Yet. right now i want to tackle the getting the new turbo, sti intercooler, air flow pipe, and a few other cheaper mods. after that i was going to get a bigger fuel pump and a few other things, and get it tuned.
    Those mods, the way they are grouped right now, are essentially worthless. You won't see very much net gain in power. You're totally on the wrong track. Read this: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

As far as turbos go, I'm not even sure there are aftermarket td04's. The only one I've seen is a rebuild of the OEM turbo to accept a different compressor wheel and that is done by Blouch. Maybe someone else can chime in. Honestly, I would buy a used OEM one. They're cheap enough and they are expected to last nearly the life of the car anyway...I'd say about 200k miles. I would have no issue buying used. But then again, I'm running the original turbo on my car and I have 275k+ miles. So I guess I have more faith in them than you lol.

If I were you this is where I would start. Replace your turbo with a new OEM td04 turbo. Replace the uppipe with a catless uppipe as the stock uppipe has a cat in it that is known for destroying turbos. Here ya go:
    Subaru OEM TD04 Turbocharger 2002-2008 Subaru WRX Import Image Racing
    Grimmspeed Uppipe for 02+ WRX/STi/LGT/FXT Import Image Racing

After that, do all maintenance. Leak down test, make sure your engine is healthy enough for any future power upgrades. The things listed above will be a direct replacement and not require a tune so your car will be safe to drive. Change all fluids, I dont car if the place you bought it from tells you that they just put all fresh fluids in the car. Do it again that way you KNOW. Once you are sure that your car is mechanically secure, then you can procede into your performance modifications.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Damn, that's a lot for that little turbo lol.

* has heart attack * $1,150 for a turbo?! * has another heart attack * what have i got my self into. oh well, it will be worth it in the end i guess, is there any other turbos less expensive? if you could tell me some good brands i can start looking and calling around.

...or you could buy at least five used tdo4's for that price. That's honestly a normal price for a turbo, most are at least $1k. And many are much more expensive. Guess you could try calling the dealership too if you insist on a brand new one. Check out the vendors on here and PM them, see what they might can do for you.

By the way, does your car have any mods on it right now?

Yes that is alot for a turbo. However, I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. This one is brand new and has a warranty on it. You can buy a used TD04 off a 02-07 wrx for a fraction of the cost. Just have to be careful, you never know what people are selling. They might state that it is in 100% working condition and that they swapped it out for a bigger turbo setup. Then once you get it it may be in the same or worse shape than your current one. You just never really know. Thats the downfall to it.

And there are plenty of aftermarket turbo options for your car. But like I said, you cant just buy a 16g turbo and throw on your car and go. You will need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, a better intercooler, turbo-back exhaust and a protune at the minimum. So right there you have the cost of the turbo plus another 3 grand in mods to support it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Guess you could try calling the dealership too if you insist on a brand new one. Check out the vendors on here and PM them, see what they might can do for you.
    By the way, does your car have any mods on it right now?
    im going to shop around before i do anything. as of right now,there are no mods to the car. unless you count the kenwood deck i just put in.

Well of course.

And no, Audio equipment is fine. I was just asking if you had any engine mods, never can be too careful. Sometimes people come in here with badly modded cars. If it's all stock then you're off to the right start.

and thats why i bought this car, it took me 8 months to find it, but, i wanted a stock car, so i could do what I wanted to do with it, not what some other guy did. and now i got my car.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Those ebay turbos are junk. If you want to save some money, get a used OEM td04-13t.. I have one with 90k miles on it I would let go for $200 shipped if you're interested.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast