Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wreckingball man I notice no difference in smell or potency unless I put my face down to ...

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I notice no difference in smell or potency unless I put my face down to the tailpipe.
    what about in the cabin? if i got the dp with out the cat, does the smell come through the vents? ive read that if i get a catless dp, i have to do a tune at the same time, is that true?
    if the smell only comes through when i have the windows down, i can handle that. plus thats 200 less that i have to spend.
    Last edited by Gen Jack Oneil; 05-19-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    I feel the need葉he need for speed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    No difference in the cabin, windows down or up, no difference outside. It may smell different than normal exhaust, a slight gasoline smell; but no more proliferated or potent than the stock exhaust. Just my experience.

You will have to tune for any downpipe you get when you install it, regardless of catted or catless.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You will have to tune for any downpipe you get when you install it, regardless of catted or catless.
    if i install the dp, and dont tune, atleast for a little while, will that cause any damage?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    if i install the dp, and dont tune, atleast for a little while, will that cause any damage?

Not if you don't drive the car, or boost at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Not if you don't drive the car, or boost at all.
    well since its my everyday driver, not driving it is not an option, i could try and boost least as possible.
    i just did a dyno tune search for my area and there are only 2 places within 250 miles. im hoping the one that is 30 min away is good place, otherwise i got to go to the one that is in billings and that means a day drive there.

You could e-tune.. it's not a complicated setup.

You can hook the wastegate vacuum line directly to the compressor outlet to run spring pressure only (~5psi). That could make your car safe to drive if you go easy on it, but what's the point in installing the downpipe before you're ready to tune it? You'd be crippling the car.

Last edited by UEDan; 05-20-2014 at 09:50 AM.

but what's the point in installing the downpipe before you're ready to tune it? You'd be crippling the car.
    i just called both places here that dyno tune, both can only do front wheel drive cars, no all wheel. the nearest place that can do a 4 wheel dyno tune is in spokane. a 5+ hour drive.
    S***
    i could hold off on installing the DP till i can go out there and install it and dyno tune it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    i just called both places here that dyno tune, both can only do front wheel drive cars, no all wheel. the nearest place that can do a 4 wheel dyno tune is in spokane. a 5+ hour drive.
    S***
    i could hold off on installing the DP till i can go out there and install it and dyno tune it at the same time.

You should only be talking to shops that specialize in Subarus.. I seriously doubt any Subaru performance shop only has a 2wd dyno.

You should only be talking to shops that specialize in Subarus.. I seriously doubt any Subaru performance shop only has a 2wd dyno.
    thats the thing, we dont have any Subaru shops around here, most of the performance shops here are for big / monster trucks.
    and the couple shops that specialize in subarus only do maintenance, nothing more

Then I would either e-tune, or take a road trip to Surgeline, PDX, or one of the other PNW Subaru shops..

well since almost everything i need to do requires a tune after, im thinking that i might just do this.

i buy Frames turbo, have that + the uppipe installed.

then next march, i buy: down pipe, Turbo Inlet Hose Pipe, intercooler hoses, Turbo vac, STI intercooler, bigger turbo + all parts need
    install them into the car. . . then haul the car to Surgeline and have the dyno test + tune done. and then drive the car back.

or should i wait to do the uppipe with everything else?

opinions?

If you are replacing your turbo with another stock td04, then replace your uppipe while you are at it. You will not need a tune for the uppipe, plus it will be easy to get to with the turbo removed. The uppipe is not a performance mod, more of a preventative maintenance mod. Worth doing while you are there.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

It's definitely cheaper and easier to do it all at once.. Although with the turbo out I would definitely replace the uppipe. Besides, you don't need to tune for that.

alright, i know i havent posted in a while but im back and i have a complete ( or so i hope ) parts list. im hoping to get your opinions on my list. if there are any better options other than what i listed, let me know.
    since this is a sort of a different subject, i think i might make a new thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.