Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wreckingball man Grimmspeed, Perrin, Invidia for up pipe and Invidia for down pipe are some of the ...

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Grimmspeed, Perrin, Invidia for up pipe and Invidia for down pipe are some of the best options.
    I've heard bad things about a non flex nonbranded uppipe having fitment problems.
    But as for downpipes, a cheap $100 ebay special will do just fine. All it is is a piece of stainless steel with flanges. SRS makes one that fits great(So I heard, I found a nice Helix on Craigslist).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I've heard bad things about a non flex nonbranded uppipe having fitment problems.
    But as for downpipes, a cheap $100 ebay special will do just fine. All it is is a piece of stainless steel with flanges. SRS makes one that fits great(So I heard, I found a nice Helix on Craigslist).
    Grimmspeed is a flex. As far as Perrin and Invidia having fitment issues...well, that would be something. I have the Perrin myself, fits perfect and absolute great quality. Still looks new after years. I would also have to disagree with an ebay special downpipe. Been there done that. I can't think of any reason to justify buying the crap they sell.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    CNT downpipe is cheap (especially used), and seems to be okay.. it's not as high quality fit or finish as others, but for the most part people seem to be happy with them.

what size pipe do i need?

i like both these pipes by grimmspeed, but both are currently out of stock. im going to call them and see when i can order both pipes.

Downpipe - 02-07 WRX/STI/FXT - GrimmSpeed

Up Pipe - WRX/STI/LGT/FXT - GrimmSpeed

on the up pipe, there are 2 versions, the one above, and a 3-bolt inlet version. which do i need, or does it really matter?

3" turboback is more than sufficient for 99% of turbo Subaru builds. The 3-bolt uppipe will only work with 3-bolt headers, like GT Spec. Most headers (including stock) use a two bolt flange.

UPPIPE: GrimmSpeed Uppipe Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2004-2015 STI) 003001 at RallySportDirect.com

DOWNPIPE: 02-07 Subaru WRX Invidia Downpipe (Catless) Sport Compact Auto & Import Performance Superstore

CAT BACK: Invidia N1 Cat Back Exhaust Subaru WRX / STI 2002-2007 HS02SW1GTP at RallySportDirect.com

i really like that Grimmspeed upipe, great reviews and alot of people like Grimmspeed pipes.

invidia seems to be extremely popular with Alot of people and ive read Alot of reviews saying that the pipes are great.
    so im going to go with the downpipe and cat back with invidia and grimmspeed for uppipe.
    opinions on my picks so far?

Great picks. They're popular for a reason, looks like you have been doing some reading.

Catback will be hard to pick though, since sound is so subjective. I'd wait on that if I were you until you can hear a variety of different styles and brands in person so you can get a feel for what you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Catback will be hard to pick though, since sound is so subjective. I'd wait on that if I were you until you can hear a variety of different styles and brands in person so you can get a feel for what you might like.
    this is true. i dont think i have the money to even buy it right now anyways. there are alot of wrxs around here, every time i see one i try and ask the owner what mods they did to their car. ill be sure to ask them what exhaust they have in their cars. the invidia N1 is very popular, i watched a few YT videos on the sounds of the N1 and it sounds the same as alot of modded wrxs around here, but its always different hearing cars in person. ill keep that cat back bookmarked and ill prob buy that after i pay off the pipes ect. unless i find a better one.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would go with a cat in the DP personally, but that is just preference on this year.

If you want a catback option on the quieter side (still plenty loud WOT IMO) that is also great quality:
    MadDad Whisper 3" Catback Single Tip
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I would go with a cat in the DP personally, but that is just preference on this year.
    ive seen quite a few posts saying get a DP with a cat and about the same saying get the DP without a cat. is there any real major impact on having the cat or not?
    BTW here in montana we have no smog testing and stuff like that,... no laws yet.
    I feel the need—the need for speed!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    ive seen quite a few posts saying get a DP with a cat and about the same saying get the DP without a cat. is there any real major impact on having the cat or not?
    BTW here in montana we have no smog testing and stuff like that,... no laws yet.
    With no cat at all, it is smelly, and from reading likely smelly even inside the car even when it is moving. I could be wrong about that, but on my last catless car (280Z) I found it about impossible to seal it all out and it was annoying as hell.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    With no cat at all, it is smelly, and from reading likely smelly even inside the car even when it is moving. I could be wrong about that, but on my last catless car (280Z) I found it about impossible to seal it all out and it was annoying as hell.

Some of us enjoy the noxious fumes (becauseracecar). Having a VTA catch can is even worse, but neither ever bothered me.. although I did get a number of complaints from women that I smelled like exhaust all the time, lol.

Other than the smell, a car with catless downpipe should spool the turbo a hair earlier, but it's a difference I would consider negligible.

I notice no difference in smell or potency unless I put my face down to the tailpipe. And at that point you're just huffing it you junkie.

i just ordered the uppipe,

ill be ordering this in 2 weeks with my next paycheck.

02-07 Subaru WRX Invidia Downpipe (Catted) Sport Compact Auto & Import Performance Superstore

and hopefully ill have enough to buy the turbo from mainframe too
    I feel the need—the need for speed!

I just put a catless downpipe in my 2005. Granted I haven't gone WOT. It doesn't smell at all while driving. And it's barely noticeable at a stop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.