Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The stock turbo is too small to create any need for a new fuel pump or injectors. ....

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The stock turbo is too small to create any need for a new fuel pump or injectors. .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Not sure what is going on - I'm guessing the edit?

As it stands now, with #4 being a boost gauge, I think it is a great idea.
    #4 was a turbo timer, but everyone here says dont get it. so, i guess im not. i havent had one person say that i should.

i chatted with a few guys last night right after i made the list. i need to change it again.
    im trying to plan this out. im short on funds, but i need to get a turbo. ill try and afford things like the up/down pipe to do at the same time for ease of install. so here is my plan right now. ( but it could change ) ( the other list is just the things i want to do to the car total )

im going to do this one by years.

2014:
    turbo, up/down pipe, boost guage, Turbo Inlet Hose Pipe, intercooler hoses, leakdown test, vac hoses checked, boost and Wideband o2 Guages

2015: Turbo vac, STI intercooler.

2016: bigger turbo + all parts need, New coat of paint
    ( it will be 2016 unless i make some $$$ or my tax refund is bigger than i think )( plus i want to wait and save as much $ as i can to get the best turbo + parts i can afford for my car. waiting till 2016 will give me the time i need)

since its probably going to be 2 years before i upgrade to a different turbo, this is what im thinking of doing.

i buy the one that MainFrame has, and hope it lasts me till i upgrade.
    OR
    i buy that brand new TD04 from the subi dealer ( unless i find another some where else cheaper )
    that way ill have a turbo with warranty untill im ready to do the full upgrade. then i can sell the TD04 to help cover the cost of the new turbo.

im trying to be smart about this, i would like to do all of this within one year, but i dont make enough to afford that. so, ill play it smart, get what i need to get done now, and do the big stuff when i have the money to do so.
    Last edited by Gen Jack Oneil; 04-30-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is a plan coming together in there.

You need to add an opensource cable for step one, and an off the shelf map. With the O2 sensor you can with intensive learning figure out how to adjust the tune yourself, or provide excellent data for an etune. You will use this cable for all of the other steps too. It's a couple $100 plus the map (may be some free).

What is a turbo vac?

As said before, buying a new TD04 is the wrong call, no question about it, and especially since you are tossing it in a couple of years. Worst case scenario you go through 2 and still save half the money of a new one (installing yourself) but that is entirely unlikely.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I can dig that.

Looks like it's time for you to make a decision about how you're going to do the tuning and what hardware you want to tune with, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I can dig that.

Looks like it's time for you to make a decision about how you're going to do the tuning and what hardware you want to tune with, etc.
    Honest question, because I don't know the newest cobb capabilities, but can they log an o2?

Regardless, make sure that you have a way to log the O2 WITH all of the other ECU stuff together, or forget it. That means you have to get the right O2 sensor, and the right logging device to work together. Don't just get any O2 and expect to sort it out later. The innovate LC1 for example with the free romraider logger using the openport cable is GTG.

I don't know. The AP only logs the bank one narrowband sensor I thought. At least on my v2 I haven't heard of a way to integrate both WBO2 and AP together. I just logged them seperately. And when I eventually get on a dyno they'll just use the tailpipe sensor. So...

AEM and Innovative both have logging capabilities.

What is a turbo vac?

As said before, buying a new TD04 is the wrong call, no question about it, and especially since you are tossing it in a couple of years. Worst case scenario you go through 2 and still save half the money of a new one (installing yourself) but that is entirely unlikely.
    its a type of exhaust.

so you think that mainframes turbo is my best option at this point? unless some one else has one here on the forum?

i did find a company that has a new tdo4 for 500 and it comes with a 1 year factory warranty.
    and if i got a new one, i would try and sell it, not ''toss'' it. i would try and recover some and put that towards the upgrade turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    its a type of exhaust.

so you think that mainframes turbo is my best option at this point? unless some one else has one here on the forum?

i did find a company that has a new tdo4 for 500 and it comes with a 1 year factory warranty.
    and if i got a new one, i would try and sell it, not ''toss'' it. i would try and recover some and put that towards the upgrade turbo.
    I think it would be a great option. Nasioc classifieds are the other place to look.

I think it would be a great option. Nasioc classifieds are the other place to look.
    which ever ever turbo i get, i dont want to have to baby the car till i get the upgraded turbo. i want to be able to floor it and not have to hope it doesnt explode.
    Last edited by Gen Jack Oneil; 04-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.

sounds shady. I wouldn't bite unless someone on here or NASIOC can vouch for your source.

I bought a used TD04 off someone on NASIOC, two actaully, one was in great shape, another was "eating itself" but couldn't pass up the second @ $25, it was local too.

I PNPed, yes DIY, the compressor housing (air intake/output) and the exhaust housing. I PNPed the better of the two TD04s, rebuilt it for good luck, installed it in the car and was well pleased. Didn't need injectors or nothing. And yes I did monitor my Injector Duty Cycle (how much the ECU "uses" the injectors), it topped out at high 80s. My tune is conservative though.

Also I'm guess whomever told you about the "turbo vac exhaust" told you verbally. A turbo BACK exhaust is a common mod.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    sounds shady. I wouldn't bite unless someone on here or NASIOC can vouch for your source.

Also I'm guess whomever told you about the "turbo vac exhaust" told you verbally. A turbo BACK exhaust is a common mod.
    my friend had a 02 wrx and we were talking car stuff at 1 am and he told me to do a turbo vac, but im probably remembering wrong.

well here is the page i found the new turbo on, its a parts listed page.
    i requested a call from the company selling it and he said it was brand new, with factory warranty.

2002 Turbocharger/Supercharger Subaru Impreza NEW TURBO TD 04 E8024 $500 Mike's Subaru USA-CA(Sun-Valley) 818-492-9799

Search Results

if this seems to shady to proceed, ill just keep searching.

Yes, and not just because he's a regular here. My '05 has 173,000. Original turbo. Engine gave out before the turbo did(I suspect my car was mildly abused). Hell, If you don't want it I might take it as backup.

Luckily for our year, you can flash a new engine map with a $10 Vagcom cable. Just do the research, it's on NASIOC.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Yes, and not just because he's a regular here. Hell, If you don't want it I might take it as backup.

Luckily for our year, you can flash a new engine map with a $10 Vagcom cable. Just do the research, it's on NASIOC.
    well, considering almost everyone ive talked to here on the forum says to get a used one, his seems to be my best option and i will probably get it in the next few weeks.

now i got to start researching up/down pipes.

Grimmspeed, Perrin, Invidia for up pipe and Invidia for down pipe are some of the best options.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think I have it listed for sale anywhere right now, so no huge rush. I will be updating a for sale thread soon though, I'm sure eventually someone will buy it.. so just PM me when/if you're ready to pull the trigger.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast