Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newish to Subaru, just bought an 05 wrx, need turbo help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MainFrame I have one with 90k miles on it I would let go for 0 shipped if ...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I have one with 90k miles on it I would let go for $200 shipped if you're interested.
    how well used is it? i just dont want to buy a used turbo and have it blow in few thousand miles and be back to square one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It has 90k miles, 60k of which at Cobb stage two. Had Mobil 1 synthetic every 3000 miles. It worked fine when I wrecked the car in 2008.. just been sitting since. It should be fine.. I checked it out a couple months ago and it still spins free and has a normal amount of shaft play.

Obviously I cannot guarantee how long it will last, but 200k miles isn't uncommon.. it is what it is, used, and cheap.

Personally, I would never pay retail for the OEM turbo when you can get a larger quality turbo (Blouch 16g-XT) for less.. but then you need more parts to run it safely, and a new tune.. then cost just starts adding up and up.

since im still recovering from buying the car and the trip home, im short on money. so right now i just want to get a turbo that will last me atleast till next march when i get my tax refund. thats when i can afford to get a brand new turbo put in. i just want to play it safe. i just got the car, i want to keep it running and take no chances.

Then this is simple. Spend the couple hundred bucks and snag up that oem td04 turbo from MainFrame, bolt it up and drive. Its that simple really when replacing the busted turbo with the exact same oem one. By the sounds of it there is no reason that turbo MainFrame has shouldnt last you until march or so. Once you get the turbo and your car is running right again, then do as instructed. Change all fluids in car, perform a leak down/compression test of the car. Enjoy it while you can. I will say once you find a turbo to replace yours, you might as well go ahead and do the catless uppipe.

Also, in the meantime, start reading and researching. You have alot of learning to do on modding these cars. The more you know, the better.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen Jack Oneil View Post
    * has heart attack * $1,150 for a turbo?! * has another heart attack * what have i got my self into. oh well, it will be worth it in the end i guess, is there any other turbos less expensive? if you could tell me some good brands i can start looking and calling around.
    Look on NASIOC or ebay for a used stock WRX turbo.

When you have the old turbo out, it will be easy to keep going and do the uppipe and downpipe, which will put you at stage II, so you will need to get an open source cable and a map. That whole thing will be about a grand and will be much more productive than an intercooler on its own. Your car will b incorked and it makes a really nice difference.

The stock turbo can be ported and polished and it makes a good difference. Now is your only real chance to have that come easy. Ron here does them and coats them. You will then actually need the intercooler and stage II to take full advantage later, and you will need a tune now.

I disagree that the intercooler is a complete waste of time, but agree that it is unlikely you will take much advantage yet. With the cats still in place (especially the uppipe) I really wouldn't do anything beyond an off the shelf stage I map. In spite of that, just replacing the intercooler hoses is 5hp (the single most overlooked mod and cheap too) and you could tune a stage I map to take more advantage of an intercooler. Regardless, if you can do the stage II stuff above, an intercooler will make a nice difference later, and can just as easily be installed with the turbo in place. If putting one on slows your progress on getting rid of the stock cats, it is counterproductive.

Edit - just saw Robin's post. I didn't mean to imply I wouldn't try that turbo.
    Last edited by mycologist; 04-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    since im still recovering from buying the car and the trip home, im short on money. so right now i just want to get a turbo that will last me atleast till next march when i get my tax refund. thats when i can afford to get a brand new turbo put in. i just want to play it safe. i just got the car, i want to keep it running and take no chances.
    Of all the things, you really should do the uppipe when the turbo is out. It isn't much, and trust me trying to get it out of the bottom with the motor jacked up off of the mounts really sucks sucks sucks. Then you aren't stuck with having to replace the turbo if you don't want to later (you well may be happy at stage II).

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Of all the things, you really should do the uppipe when the turbo is out. It isn't much, and trust me trying to get it out of the bottom with the motor jacked up off of the mounts really sucks sucks sucks. Then you aren't stuck with having to replace the turbo if you don't want to later (you well may be happy at stage II).
    ill do that when i replace the turbo. any idea how much parts are for that process?

anyways ive got 2 possible turbos. both are new.
    my local subi dealership can order a brand new td04 for $810.
    but a friend of mine, that has a EVO, said i should spend more money and get this turbo instead:

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP GREEN HTA for Subaru STi/WRX

he has the RED turbo in his car and he loves it. so he thinks that this GREEN one will be perfect for me. any thoughts on either of my 2 options so far? i want to explore all the options of getting a new turbo first. if i cant get any of those, then ill see about getting a used one, possibly the one MainFrame is offering.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ...I'm not even going to waste my time typing about the Green. Read this: FP GREEN HTA What supporting upgrades should I do?

...Let's be honest. A used td04 from mainframe would be the least of my worries with your car in the next 330 days until you get your tax return.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    ...I'm not even going to waste my time typing about the Green. Read this: FP GREEN HTA What supporting upgrades should I do?

...Let's be honest. A used td04 from mainframe would be the least of my worries with your car in the next 330 days until you get your tax return.
    Yup.

For the turbo upgrade you HAVE to do the DP and the UP and the intercooler and a custom tune at a minimum, add injectors for anything over a ported td04.

You need to put a substantial effort into comparing turbos for your personal driving habits & requirements. I wouldn't have a big laggy turbo like that for high end gains at all, no way. Are you making a quarter mile car? Plan to break **** all the time with that turbo. Got an extra transmission from an STi and all the stuff to install it? If not, then no.

A ported and polished tdo4 will spool hard at low RPM and adds what maybe 30hp over stage 2 (guessing, bill had one in and dyno results I think 240-250 WHP)? That is going to put you in the neighborhood of 70 extra WHP total and an extremely drivable car that is still likely reliable. The 16G-XT Robin mentioned would be the next reasonable step,preserving drivability and not pushing reliability to the extreme.

Don't ever get advice from evo guys - different animal. They can push it much harder.
    Last edited by mycologist; 04-29-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: break

and i thought the people i work with and my friends that have similar cars ( subi and evos ) would have helpful info for me, but everything i bring up here gets seems to be a bad idea, im really glad i joined this forum to find this out from you guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    and i thought the people i work with and my friends that have similar cars ( subi and evos ) would have helpful info for me, but everything i bring up here gets seems to be a bad idea, im really glad i joined this forum to find this out from you guys.
    There is a lot of local knowledge in some areas, most of it good and much of it possibly bad depending where you are. A national forum like this doesn't allow the loop to close like that as things are vetted on a much broader scale.

The problem with asking friends about what to do to your car is that usally they have no idea what they are talking about, as seems to be the case with your friends giving you terrible advise. And many friends just want your car to be faster so its more fun to ride in with you and really have no clue as to what else needs to be done to a car to run said part. Maybe its just me, but I all the time get the "when are you throwing a bigger turbo on the wrx!?", in which i just reply someday. All of the advise given to you in this thread from myself, and the others is what you need to follow. Get the idea of a bigger turbo out of your skull unless you already have an additional 4 grand sitting in the bank and you are 100% sure that your engine is healthy.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I all the time get the "when are you throwing a bigger turbo on the wrx!?", in which i just reply someday. All of the advise given to you in this thread from myself, and the others is what you need to follow. Get the idea of a bigger turbo out of your skull unless you already have an additional 4 grand sitting in the bank and you are 100% sure that your engine is healthy.
    i dont even really want a bigger turbo, im just fine with the stock one. sure adding a few parts and doing a tune will get me more HP and that im fine with. this is my every day car, not my every day rally car. i cant afford to do major work on it every month. i only want to do major work once a year or less if can. by the end of my modding, if i can get around 280 HP out of my car i would be happy enough. ( stock has 227 HP correct? )
    my plans are as of now:

( these plans may change depending how my income is in the next few months. if some mods dont seem necessary at some point, the reason i want to get it is because i can afford it and might as well get it done while i can)
    if you think i should change the order of some of these let me know why.

1 turbo ( obviously )
    2 uppipe and downpipe ( ill do them at the same time i do the turbo )
    3 Turbo Inlet Hose Pipe ( if this is one of the pipes above ignore #3 )
    4 boost guage
    5 STI intercooler ( the piece that limits the airflow in the scoop to fit the wrx intercooler, would be changed for a larger one to fit the airflow for the sti IC )
    6 intercooler hoses
    7 fuel pump / injectors
    8 Turbo vac
    ( i forget the name of the part ) the setup where i can set what type of mode i want ( economical, normal, and boost ) if thats tuning the car ill have that done when all mods are complete.
    9 Rims
    10 New coat of paint

if im missing anything from this list that shoudl be on it, let me know. Keep in mind, the weather here in montana goes from -40 ( or -60 with wind chill ) to 110 almost every year. so what ever i do to the car, it needs to be able to handle the weather conditions with out damaging anything .

if you gentlemen would like to see pictures of my car as of now i can take some and upload them.

EDIT: turbo timer removed from list
    Last edited by Gen Jack Oneil; 04-29-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Downpipe + tune = 285Hp pretty much guaranteed. Power mods done ...and the up-pipe for safety.

This link can be used as a quick reference guide to almost anything: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Here's a mod list to reach your goal of 280Hp.
    1. up-pipe
    2. leakdown test, vac hoses checked, make sure engine is in order
    3. Downpipe + tune, boost and Wideband o2 Guages

extras for stage 2: better boost control i.e. 3-port EBCS, MBC, or combination of both. Intercooler hoses. Maybe turbo Inlet pipe.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 04-30-2014 at 06:37 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure what is going on - I'm guessing the edit?

As it stands now, with #4 being a boost gauge, I think it is a great idea.

You do not need the fuel pump and injectors for this setup with the stock turbo.

The inlet should be easier to do with the turbo out - it is a sound idea mostly because the stock one tends to tear especially when you change turbos, and that is a big problem. I'd still get one that advertises it can be installed without removing the manifold (total PITA).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.